Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lleet

help needed! ebony stained hardwoods

lleet
15 years ago

Since the day we started our remodel, I knew I wanted very dark hardwood floors. Now that we are at the point of staining the floors, the floor guy is telling me he can't do it.

They put down one coat of minwax ebony stain, and while it is dark, it's no where near the look of ebony floors I have seen in pictures, ect. (I know every picture looks different in lighting, etc - not trying match exactly, just the spirit of...) We have quarter-sown red oak, so I do understand about the grain and know it probably wonÂt ever look exactly like the pictures.

The floor guy is saying he's never had anyone say they didn't think ebony was dark enough, and that he NEVER use two coats of stain on a floor.

Am I being unreasonable to ask for ideas on how to achieve the look I want?

Does anyone else have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• glennsfc
    15 years ago

You are not being unreasonable. Your floor finisher says that he can't do it; you 'may' want to find one who can.

However, the floor guy is correct in saying that you "NEVER use two coats of stain on a floor"...that is a recipe for eventual floor finish failure.

And be aware, that even dark stained floors that are only given a ONE application of stain can experience peeling of the finish; the surface of the wood gets loaded up with pigment...and finish does not bond well to pigment.

• Kimberlyinva
    15 years ago

I also wanted dark ebony flooring. We put down pine, the only thing that would make them such was a product called Velvit Oil. It's rather labor intensive but beautiful. We decided to go with something else but there's still a part of me that wished we'd gone with the Velvit (it really is ebony black, even on pine). I do plan on using it in the extension we are going to build...gotta have it! :)
    KAT

Here is a link that might be useful: Smoke Velvit Oil

• coreymeyer
    15 years ago

My first piece of advice is to ask your floor finisher if he/she ever uses any other brand / type of floor stain. If the answer is "no", have another floor finisher come over and remove the existing Minwax with thinner and start over with a different stain. There are many out there that do a much better job than Minwax, especially if you want very dark or Ebony. I would guess that the ebony turned your floor gray at the heartwood and black at the sap. You need a stain made for floors, which is not nearly as easy to apply as Minwax but someone who stains floors will know how to do it. Also be aware that dark stained floors tend to show a lot of imperfections and are difficult to do. You need someone that knows what they are doing.

• jan9
    15 years ago

You'll need to wash off the Minwax stain since it's sealed the floor. Then start with a black wood dye. Then a dark stain to pop the figure of the wood.