Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penaddict

Newbie at installing hardwood

penaddict
15 years ago

My husband and I are experienced with installing tile (have done a bathroom floor and counter and kitchen counter and backsplash).

Now we're trying to learn how to install hardwood.

We need to remove existing 2 3/4" red oak in the kitchen, entry and dining room and replace it with tile and new engineered wood for some areas including living room, dining room, stairs and upstairs rooms.

I know this will be a longgggg project but wanted to know how difficult is this for newbie hardwood installers (and removal)?

I will go to the library and get some books and research the internet, but any suggestions (internet sites, book or just advice) would be so much appreciated!

My biggest concern is cutting the wood, since with tile, you can cover your mistakes with grout or caulk. ;)

Thanks!!!!

Comments (7)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Don't even give it a second though. Although it is labor intensive, it is MUCH easier than tile. There isn't much cutting....only the end pieces get cut. And you leave a 1/2" gap between the board and the wall (which is hidden by baseboard and quarter round) so even a poor cut isn't a problem. I have some good sites saved on my computer at work...I'll post them tomorrow. You may need a table saw to rip some pieces to make them narrower, and you'll need a miter saw to do the cutting.

My VERY first experience installing hardwood was not nice new hardwood, it was warped and twisted old hardwood. And I did not have a pneumatic nailer, I had the kind you have to hit with a rubber mallet to drive the nail. It was a very difficult time consuming job because the wood was so warped, but the floor came out beautiful. If you are handy, this will be an easy project for you.

• penaddict
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Would I have to remove all the baseboards? When you say "leave a 1/2" gap between the board and wall," do I not butt the floor to the wall (under the baseboard)?

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

I'm a newbie at hardwood floors, but will be trying my first hopefully starting this weekend. I've tiled 7 rooms now, so if it's easier, I'm optimistic!

I found a link about a month ago that had a lot of good details about how-to. I posted a link to the thread below.

My biggest take-aways from doing a lot of research in preparation are:
    1. Prep the floor well
    2. Plan your layout well (chalk lines for alignment, random seams)
    3. Use good tools

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY instructions

• penaddict
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahhh, I already feel overwhelmed. Thanks for the links!

• floorguy
    15 years ago

Is the wood fasten down or glue down?
    Is it over wood subfloor and crawl space, or over concrete?

• penaddict
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We don't know how it's currently fastened down but will find out once we start taking it out (any suggestions).
    It's over wood subfloor (ocb or plywood).

• rivkadr
    15 years ago

My husband and I did 1000 feet of wood floor in our house, by ourselves. It was a floating install, which I believe is one of the easier installations to do. We removed all the baseboards, and put new ones in, because the old baseboards were small and ugly. Once you figure out what you're doing, it's actually pretty easy -- just very time consuming.