Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Titebond II water-resistant or Titebond III water-proof ?

susanlynn2012
14 years ago

Titebond II water-resistant or Titebond III water-proof for floating floors? Are they both flexible glues? Would the extra drying time of the Titebond III create a problem since I would love a water-proof glue between my engineered boards. I am going to float BR-111 Brazilian Cherry 5" wide boards over the FloorMuffler UltraSeal underlayment that is a moisture and sound barrier. I like the extra cushioning and insulation it provides so I decided to float the floor and not glue it directly to my concrete floors.

Comments (6)

• floorguy
    14 years ago

I may be wrong, but isn't TB III, a urethane adhesive, like Gorilla Glue is?

That could be a big mess, when trying to glue up T&G, with the ooze out factor.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was told wood glue was wood glue when I put my order in and then when I called back and said it looked like there are several wood glues for tongue and groove, I was told, that the company would find out what type of glue was in my order. Then I emailed them last night to put the order through without the glue and I would buy it locally to be sure I can return unopened bottles so I can buy what is best but what will work for the installer and the BR-111 wood.

I only read the specs and the reviews so I do not know. I will call BR-111 today since they recommend Titebond II or equivalent and I will call my installer.

What do you recommend floorguy for floating an engineered wood floor that is 5" wide and 1/2" thick over a floor muffler underlayment?

• jerry_t
    14 years ago

The Titebond II will work fine Lynn.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jerry_t, thank you so much for letting me know since my local Lowe's sells Titebond II at a good price. If they both work the same way, then it would be easier for me to buy the glue locally. But again, if the other new formulation is superior, I will find out who says it locally or buy it online. But if they really work about the same, then I prefer the lower VOC count of the Titebond II.

• HU-698545247
    3 years ago

Hi Susan, its been 11 years. I believe you went ahead with using Titebond II. How well did your floor hold up for expansion and shrinkage? Did the glue stayed flexible allowing the movement or it started clicking over the time?

Im planning on adding some titebond II or Roberts tongue and groove glue between the tongues and grooves of my last 3 rows to the wall (I'm unable to find Titebond Tongue and Groove glue locally in MA and its way expensive on Amazon).

I have nailed down a 3/4" thick 2.25" hickory, but the last 3 rows are going to get face nailed with a finish nail gun, so planning to add some glue for some strength. I would like to know your feedback from first hand experience. Any other pro's can add their comments as well.

Pro's, please don't suggest about manufacturer recommendations. Bruce doesn't say anything and my wood doesn't have any warranty, as I fell for a marketing gimmick and ended up with some crappy discount wood. Enough fretting already, so I will will leave it there.