Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1015

New Furnace/AC/HWH

Jim1015
10 years ago

Hi - New to the forum but I enjoy the information which i've read. I'm new to the whole HVAC world but learning as I go. Live in NJ.

I am in the process of replacing Gas Furnace, A/C and hot water heater as part of the Energy Star Home Performance program as run by the state.

My house is approximately 2300 square feet, 4 bedroom with 1 zone.

My contractor has proposed the following: Carrier two stage high efficiency gas furnace (model 59TP5100-122) at 96/7% efficiency; Carrier R410A high efficiency condensing unit (model 24ANB660) and evaporator (model CNPVP6024) with a rating of 53,000 BTU (4 tons) and SEER 15; Bradford White 50 gallon power vent hot water heater with new pvc flue piping to outside. The above includes honeywell visionpro 8000 thermostat, aprilaire 600 humidifier and aprilaire 2210 media air filter.

In addition, they will perfrom air sealing with single part foam spary to attic flat areas (inc drywall and top plates, chimney chases, pipes, etc). They will also install a energy guardian attic pull down stair cover. And finally they will continue a bath fan pipe which is currently only piped to my attic and not through the roof (note: this is for a 1st floor bathroom with no shower so not sure this is necessary).

After rebates, the total quite is just under $13K.

Appreciate if anyone can comment on the quality of the above and more importantly the price which i have been quoted.

Thanks in advance.

This post was edited by Jim1015 on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 18:29

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Location please...

• cindywhitall
    10 years ago

I have a pile of posts where I considered and questioned everything. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg0613455019230.html

there is also a current thread from "mentalcase" who is also considering the program

I got the heater you are being proposed and it is fine. The next one up, the TN6 I believe, is variable speed. I thought the TP5 was variable but it is multi. It is fine, but variable is better. I had to draw the line somewhere but you might consider it. The variable might be better with humidity. Proper sizing is also important with humidity.

I got the TP5, the air sealing (not a spray of foam, but they lifted the batt insulation and sealed all the penetrations and joints etc. Then they blew in about 6 inches of cellulose on top of my existing batts. They sealed some in the basement but it could probably use more. They did give me an attic stair cover which I think was well needed. The insulating guys built in on site with some 2-inch thick (roughly) foam insulation board. Basically it's a 5-sided box that we just pull down to cover the hatch area. It could be easily be a diy if they charge a lot, though I don't know what the board costs.

I got the 24 ACB7 which is a 2-stage AC. I don't know what yours is. I think yours is infinity. Not sure, but I think it would be better spent to go Variable speed or Infinty on furnace and not as much on AC. My quotes were all for the same AC but with dif levels of furnaces. They wanted 1400 more for Infinity furnace and controller with the 24ACB7. Or just go down to performance on AC. It's all in what you want. If you read my posts you will see how I over-thought the whole thing. In the end I stayed at performance level for both because I had other things I could do with the $$ and perf level would heat and cool me just fine! (and they do!)

I got a tankless water heater because the powervent wouldn't meet the % required savings for me (I was going from a 90% furnace).

I did not get a humidifier. You might not need one. With the air sealing it does not get as dry. We are a little dry right now, at 32% but it has been much much colder than a normal winter. I think last winter hung around 38. That's something you'll have to get suggestions whether your really need or not.

My total was $12k after rebates, with 10k at 0% financing. That was with Performance 2-stage heat/ac, airseal and insulation, and a TANKLESS water heater. (loving it!--but it was pricey).

I got down to this price after I waited for summer to be over and asked them for a slow season discount. The other company would not entertain a slow season discount. The first company is one of the higher priced, larger dealers in SOuth Jersey.

Oh yes, Someone is sure to point out that you should get the INfinity controller if you get the INfinty AC or furnace.

• Jim1015
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much Cindy. I appreciate all the details you provided.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Jim,

I also live in NJ. I am familiar with the Energy Star rebate details.

I assume you will qualify for the $5K rebate and the zero percent financing. I have to tell you based on the things I have read I am not a fan of this program. You have to decide if it makes sense for your situation.

I have seen several quotes similar to yours. The prices you are being quoted are very inflated. It sounds like a great deal and the idea is the monthly savings will offset your payments for the next 10 years. You also have to be careful who will do the installation. If you are talking to an HVAC contractor, then they will be in a sub-contractor to the insulation. In other cases it's the reverse, or both items are sub-contracted out.

The 100K BTU furnace and 5 ton AC are over sized for your 2300 sq. foot house. If this company was serious about conserving energy they would do a Manual J calculation to determine the heating and cooling loads. I would think a furnace of 80K BTU and AC of 4 tons would be more than adequate even without the added insulation.

I suggest you get quotes from a Carrier dealer for the same equipment who is not involved in the program. This will give you an idea about pricing. Find someone who is willing to do a load calculation. If you live near Mercer county I can send you the name of a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer who will do a calculation free of charge and give you multiple quotes.

• Jim1015
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike. I'm starting to think along the same lines. It may be worth it for me to forgo the $5k rebate and 10k interest free loan from the program and have a contractor do the work independently. I'll have to bring in another contractor for a quote who is not associated with the state run program. I'll have to run the numbers to see if that makes more sense based on the new quote.

Not sure how this will turn out but would be ironic if this project is more cost efficient by going outside the state run program.

I live in northern NJ (Morris county).

• mike_home
    10 years ago

These guys are smart enough to set their prices so they are competitive after the $5K rebate. My concern is the quality of the installation of the both the HVAC equipment and the insulation.

Cindy can tell you she had problems with her installation which she had to fight to get fixed. Her guys were also careless when the dumped 40 gallons of hot water on her lawn and killed the grass.