Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Pics from our trip to Switzerland

Sueb20
12 years ago

We just got home yesterday. We had an amazing trip. We stayed in 3 locations: Geneva, Interlaken, and Zurich. From Geneva, we took day trips to Chamonix and Annecy and Lausanne. We visited Bern (in 100 degree heat) for a couple of hours on our way from Geneva to Interlaken. From Interlaken, we visited the top of Jungfrau, Grindelwald, Thun, Murren, and Lauterbrunnen. And we stayed in Zurich for just one night before we came home. Highlights for me were Annecy and Murren. DH's favorites were Chamonix (because he and DS#1 went to the top of Mont Blanc -- DS#2 is afraid of heights so I stayed behind with him and DD) and Lauterbrunnen. Every place we visited was beautiful. Here are some pics!

In Geneva we stayed at the Four Seasons, in Interlaken we were at the Victoria Jungfrau, and in Zurich we stayed at the Baur Au Lac. All fancy schmancy (DH's company paid for a good portion of this trip -- gift for 20th anniv.) but the VJ in Interlaken felt like a HoJos' compared wirh the wonderful service and friendliness we experienced at the other two hotels. Also, we were at the VJ during a heat wave, there was no AC, and there were parties late at night on the lawn under our hotel room. That was my only complaint about the whole 12-night trip. The hotel in Zurich was the nicest hotel I have ever seen. It was stunning, and the service was fantastic.

Pics from the hotels:

4 Seasons -- I didn't take many, but here is a shot of the exterior and a couple from the interior.

The Victoria Jungfrau. Stunning interior, not so friendly service until, oddly, the last day we were there. They had the best breakfast buffet I have ever seen, though, including champagne!

The Baur Au Lac in Zurich.

And some other pictures!

Comments (13)

• User
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, I'm so glad you had a good time.
    Thanks for sharing the photos.
    They brought back good memories for me.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Great photos, thanks for sharing. I love your Maria imitation! LOL Did you rent a car for all of your traveling or go by rail...or perhaps that's your helicopter in the background? At first I thought the photo of the swimming pool was upside down but then I realized that the ceiling must be reflective.

Beautiful scenery, it wounds like a wonderful trip. Anything you'd do differently?

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Hey Sue,
    I was just thinking about you & wondering when you'd be home. I left from Zurich yesterday too - maybe we were at the airport together?!

Great pictures. Thanks for posting them. I don't have any pics because I was there to help my sister & family move to a new apartment. Well duh, why didn't I think of this earlier? This is one place where people might enjoy seeing pics of local apartments & how they are decorated.

Wasn't it wild to have those 2 days of 90+ degree temps? Luckily, my sister's apartment was very cool even without air conditioning. But next time, I want to stay at the Baur Au Lac!

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. It is a beautiful place.
    Jean

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

maire, yes, that's my helicopter. Ha. We were so high in the mountains one day that we looked DOWN and saw a helicopter flying below us. That was weird. Anyway, we drove most days, but we took the train to the top of Jungfrau (where I'm doing my Maria imitation above) from Interlaken, and we took the train/cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Murren.

Anything I'd do differently... not too much, I think! I'd stay a couple more days in Zurich. When we arrived at our hotel there was a huge flea market across the street. Heaven! I could have stayed there for hours, but we had only one full day so we had to scurry and do other things. Also, I wasn't thrilled with our hotel in Interlaken considering how expensive it was. It was beautiful but the staff was really indifferent -- after being at the Four Seasons, where they practically fell over themselves to take care of us, it was a real change.

The only other issue I had was with the altitude at Jungfrau. We had to cut our visit shorter than planned because I was all loopy. I was okay outside but there are all these tunnels leading to the various areas, and I felt very lightheaded in those interior areas, even in the restaurant. Finally I just had to sit down and zone out. We wanted to go in the ice palace but I just couldn't function. One of my sons had a headache but the rest of the family was fine. Weird how it affects everyone differently. I don't know what, if anything, I could have done to avoid it? It probably didn't help that I had had about 3 hours of sleep the night before because of the heat and the street noise.

Next time, I want to go with just DH (love my kids, but...) and stay in Murren for several days as part of our trip.

Jean, we were on a 5:30 flight from Zurich to Boston.

THe heat on those two days was pretty bad especially when we drove from Geneva to Interlaken with a stop in Bern. We were there at midday and we were just melting, walking around, but we were determined to see some of the city and the Bear Park.

A couple more pics -- DS at Trummelbach Falls in Lauterbrunnen, and DD and me in Murren.

• texanjana
    12 years ago

Gorgeous photos. I visited there in college, would love to go back!

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

Just lovely, it makes me want to go there .

• hhireno
    12 years ago

I was on the 10 am flight to Newark so our paths did not cross at the airport. So close, yet so far.

• User
    12 years ago

Wow, it's so pretty! I'm glad you had a nice time with your family!

• deegw
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I am totally jealous. :) What camera did you use while you were there? The pictures are stunning.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

Heidi! I have always wanted to visit Switzerland! I am glad you had a great time! You DHs company sounds wonderful to work for! and your photos are beautiful.
    thanks for sharing.
    Sue

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing! Glad that you had an amazing time.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

what great photos!!! sounds/looks like a fantastic trip!

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

Wow, that's sound like a trip of a life time....simply beautiful.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida