Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

I don't have a cat, so why am I buying cat food?

zipdee
14 years ago

Because I'm a sucker that's why, with a big, capital *S* in the middle of my forehead.

Long story short .. we have people that live down the road from us that have outdoor cats and none of them are 'fixed' so the litters of kittens just keep multiplying. Well, one of their cats now seems to be on the outs with the rest of their 'herd' and all the other outside cats in the neighborhood. She's about half bald from having the tar beat out of her and so sadly emicated because the other cats run her off from the food bowl. The people don't seem to care it seems because no effort is being given to help this poor animal out.

This morning I bought her some wet food, she has a what looks like a fairly bad under bite and I think dry may be a little hard for her to eat. Add to this story .. I'm very, very, very allergic to cats .. I have not only a bad allergy reaction, but bad asthma reaction too. She's very affectionate and loving, but I have to have the girls pet her, I can't get near her without starting to wheeze. So I've never had a cat and don't know much about their needs.. what do I need to do to nurse this poor thing back to health? Is there any way to get the neighborhood cats to leave her alone? Is there any way to get a dewormer for her short of bringing her to our vet? I'm sure she's never been vetted before and I'm wondering if she's so bad off because of parasites in addition to not getting regular food.

Comments (10)

• parma42
    14 years ago

Zip, first of all I've got to say that I don't think much of your neighbors. One paints their house the same color as yours and now this...

I wish you could get the kitty to a no kill shelter. That could be difficult, however, if she really *belongs* to those people. Have you ever chatted with them to see what's up? I can't believe someone would let one of their animals fall victim to such a brutal pecking order.

DH and I were in Aruba a few years ago. There was this private island where there was a flock? of flamingos. One was most definitely at the lowest rung of the avian ladder. I would chase the other birds away and just feed that one.

I still have pics of that but if I showed you (bathing suit and all), I'd have to kill you. :)

• bestyears
    14 years ago

zipdee,
    What a warm heart you have....
    She most likely does have parasites and/or worms. She may have mange as well which would account for her missing fur. If you feed her at your house, she may start to hang out there and so long as the other cats stay away, or you scare them away, she'll have half a chance. Wet food is a good idea as long as it doesn't spoil outside. She may have tooth/gum infections which make it extremely difficult for her to chew dry food (and may account for the 'underbite' if it is so advanced she has lost a number of teeth).

One option you may look into: here we have a couple of organizations that will allow you to foster a cat while they try to find a home for it. This begins with you calling them, and then they will send you to a particular vet who will do what is necessary to restore the cat's health, including neutering it. The organization will pay the vet bill. The cat would reside with you until they find a home. If that isn't possible, they may have another foster home available for it. Here, our organizations have names like Citizens for Animal Protection, PAWS, etc. If you have a PetSmart or PETCO, you may want to call them and see if they have contact info for these groups -they often work hand-in-hand.

In the meantime, it won't be easy, but if you use workmen gloves and wear long sleeves, you may want to bathe her outside in a rubbermaid tub. Use a good cat shampoo, and have a couple of pitchers of warm water at the ready. You won't be able to hold her in the tub for more than a few minutes, but do your best, scrub her well and then rinse her with the warm water. If you have a friend who can help, that would be best.

Good luck-

• deedee-2008
    14 years ago

Zipdee: Just a thank you for having such a kind heart to animals.

• Jamie
    14 years ago

Zipdee, I'm severely allergic, too, but we once kindasorta adopted a homeless cat that was hanging around our property. My husband rigged up a heating pad inside a cat carrier on our covered porch. She went in there when she wanted respite, and we fed her outdoors. She and DH cuddled on the porch steps when they felt like it. We didn't give her medical care at that time; a little protection was all that seemed necessary. Some may not approve of sponsoring a homeless cat in this way, but that kitty was a lot better off than she had been, and my husband got to have his kitty.

That sort of arrangement was possible in a semi-rural area.
    It wouldn't work where we live now.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the help and suggestions. She has just been chowing down the wet food, so hopefully she'll start to gain some weight here soon. Legally I don't think I could take the cat or do rescue with her, they offer food and water out for her .. it looks like the feed all their cats out of one big feeder. The other cats will not let her get near it though and no one has interceded on her behalf to feed her separately or protect her from the bullies.

Thankfully I don't think she has mange, the cats have been ripping her coat out in fights. I've rescued her a few times now and there has been huge amounts of fur ripped out each time. She hung out down here yesterday, last night and was out on the porch this morning. I also chased a couple cats away this morning that were hanging out on the edge of the yard watching her, the poor thing is being terrorized by these other cats. Maybe if we can establish this yard as her territory she'll be safe from being beat up for this most part.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Those people are really unkind to use just one feeder -- cats WILL prevent one weak one from getting food! (ask me how many dishes and feeders I have in THIS house!)

YOU have a truly kind heart and most generous spirit -- hopefully the cat will improve and I'll bet they would NEVER even notice if the cat went "missing"

Many many blessings on your heart and home for such a wonderful kindness!!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• User
    14 years ago

Zip - Bless your heart!

I think owning a cat means caring for it and them only having one feeder and not trying to intervene or help her at all isn't very responsible to me. I agree they wouldn't notice if she went missing. And tough if they did.

I feel so bad that she's missing fur!! Aw poor little girl. Hopefully she'll put on some weight. The wet food is a good idea. How old is this cat? Adult, young kitten? You could get some kitten formula and put it over dry food to help make it soft. You'd probably have to keep it inside until it go that way as she'd probably drink all the milk.

Maybe if you called the vet and explained the situation they could give some suggestions. Wonder if they have someone that would be willing to come out... for less than a bazillion dollars.

I would start searching for a home for her and see that she gets a good one. Maybe advertise in the paper and really screen the calls when they come in.

• bestyears
    14 years ago

zipdee, I don't doubt she's hanging out at your house! You're making a tremendous difference in her life already!!!!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the help!

See .. I thought feeding all of those cats out of one big feeder is very wrong too. Thanks for validating one of my concerns. We have the five dogs and there is no way I'd feed them out of one big dish, they all have their own dishes and a few their own eating areas due to when they were strays it caused food aggression issues with other dogs ( not people ). If left to their own being fed out of a large dish, the food aggression dogs would drive the others out and fights would ensue to regain the bowl .. basically everything that's happening to this cat. So, I do blame the people for not getting involved on her behalf.

She's an adult cat, my DH ( who had cats as a child ) thinks she's maybe 6 - 8 years old ?? I think right now I'm going to try to get her back into shape, she's eating for me and she seems very content to hang out down here now. As we sat on the porch last night, she hung out on my DH's lap and soaked up the attention. We live in NC and it's been one of the hardest states hit by unemployment, the papers are filled with people giving away their animals. The rescues and humane socities are also filled .. we went through the whole thing with trying to find Daisy ( the Basset my DHbrought home last year ) a home or into rescue and never could, so we just kept her. I'm also going to call and talk to our vet about a dewormer for her, they'll be able to give me an idea how much it would run and if they need to see her first. They are pretty good about giving us a break when the animal is a stray, they did with Daisy and her whole heart worm treatment.

Thanks again everyone, hopefully we can get her looking a little better soon :)

• brody_miasmom
    14 years ago

Did I write this post??? A cat has adopted me too! And it too belongs up the street. However, it is spade and in pretty good shape, it just likes us.

Taking care of a stray animal is a wonderful thing to do. You can probably get help from an local cat rescue to trap the cat and get it vetted and have it returned to the area.