Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_ca

Any experience out there with latex mattress toppers?

kristine_ca
11 years ago

Our one-year-old mattress has been a bit disappointing, and a little softer than I would like. We don't have back pain or anything like that, but I just don't care for the sensation I get of sinking in too much. I wish the softness on the top had some "spring" to it!

Even though most people purchase latex toppers to soften a too-firm mattress, I'm wondering if this could give a slightly firmer and more springy feel to the mattress. It would also have the added bonus of making my sheets fit better, since the fitted sheets always seem too big. Any experience out there there? What softness/firmness level do you have?

Comments (6)

• dawn25
    11 years ago

We are also looking at getting latex topper. Our mattress, which is theoretically natural latex (we have some questions about the veracity of that claim), is just not comfortable because it's too firm for us. Right now we have a 3" memory foam topper that I am done with (too hot, can't turn over without arching our backs off the bed).

After speaking with a local company that manufactures natural latex mattresses and pads, I get the impression that adding a topper to an iffy mattress can actually make it worse. It sounds like your mattress is not supportive enough for you. I've heard of putting a board underneath a too soft mattress to make it firmer. Perhaps that would be worth a shot?

I found a place online, Habitat Furnishings, that sells the toppers and mattresses, with a very long trial period/money back guarantee. If you're unsure, maybe that would be a good option so you're not out any more money. If it doesn't work, a new mattress might be your only option. I'm not thrilled at the idea of spending more money two years after we bought this mattress, but I have to be able to sleep.

Maybe someone else can chime in with knowledge of whether the latex toppers could make it feel firmer. My gut says no, but I don't know for sure. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

Good luck finding one. We priced them at Target & Walmart for my daughters bed. They've really gone up in price. The ones we looked at all came with covers.

Consider going to Penney's & Sears; my hub found one for his truck there. He said it was a better quality then what Walmart & Target had. Also check out QVC & HSN.

I would try a sheet of plywood 1st to see if it helps.

It's so hard buying a mattress these days; no matter how much you try them in the store; they do not seem like the same mattress when they get to your house. Even after breaking ours in; it still does not feel like the one we tried in the store.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

A good source of information about all things mattresses, especially latex, is Whatsthebest-mattress.com. The forum there is very helpful, and you will find links to sites that sell latex toppers.

• Ecomattressman
    11 years ago

A latex mattress topper will offer a pressure relieving surface which is both non-toxic and cooler. It will not however take out any dips in your existing bed as it will simply follow the contour of whatever it is resting upon. Check out below to learn more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Latex topper info

• betsyhac
    11 years ago

I bought a medium latex mattress and a pure wool mattress topper. I love it. I can't speak to the firmness issues, but before I bought my set-up, I did call the store and talk to them extensively about my purchase. They were very nice and helpful. May be worth a phone call. Shipping is free. The whole set-up was expensive, but I was tired of cheap mattresses and BS claims.

Here is a link that might be useful: Satara

• kristine_ca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link. I'm no longer sure a topper is really the solution, but a phone call to an authoritative source can't hurt. I am very tired of the mattress merry go round... I really don't understand why they are making them the way they do now--it makes it so much harder to tell if you've picked right.