Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_donna9

Have you read any good books lately????

organic_donna
17 years ago

I used to love to read...that is until I got hooked on GW. LOL Anyway, I love a good book. I like books that have a "life lesson" to them or something like "All The Joy You Can Stand". You know, happy books...so here are some of my favorites.

I love "The Four Agreements" and "The Mastery Of Love", by Don Miguel Ruiz. Must reads for everyone.

The best book for someone in their 50's and 60's (women) is "Younger by the Day", by Victoria Moran, a very uplifting book for woman as they go through the stages of life.

And for all of you animal lovers, "The Craggy Hole in My Heart and The Cat Who Fixed It by Geneen Roth". Not a book about cats but about how the cat affected her life and her relationship with her father. It will have you in tears. She also wrote, "When Food is Love".

Those are a few of my favorites, OK your turn, what are some of your favorite books?

Donna

Comments (21)

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

The 4 agreements is one that I tend to pick up again and read when I feel out of sorts, reminding myself of the basics helps me feel grounded again; I too would recommend having it on hand.

I loaned the last novel I read and can't remember the title, I'll get back to you with it; I don't know why but I have a feeling you'd love it, I know I did.
    It's about a young girl who gets trained to be a midwife in very original circumstances.

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

The Birth House
    Author: Ami McKay

I only put Birth in the search box and it came first. I highly recommend it.

• sjerin
    17 years ago

Am so enjoying Fanny Flagg right now:

Standing in the Rainbow
    Can't Wait to Get to Heaven
    A Redbird Christmas (reading now)

I find her writing delightful and it always lifts my spirits!

• MariposaTraicionera
    17 years ago

Finishing "In the Time of the Butterflies", by Julia Alvarez.

Read "The Rebellion of the Hanged", by B. Traven recently.
    Not exactly light reading, but nevertheless very good.

I have The Four Agreements in Spanish. Excellent book.

Anyone tried Paulho Coelho's books? I have read several by him.

• carolyn53562
    17 years ago

check out this thread in the Home Decorating Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Good Book Thread

• caflowerluver
    17 years ago

Donna - you might like this one. It is "James Herriot's Cat Stories". Best know for his book "All Creatures Great and Small". I like all his books, not just because they are about animals but I also love the way he describes the human characters, the area and times too.

I had picked this up for a Christmas gift for my mom and was just thumbing through it and ended up reading it. I know she won't mind. She adopted a cat 4 years ago at the age of 84. The last time she had a cat was almost 50 years prior to that. My dad was a dog person and that was that.
    Clare

• organic_donna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Clare,
    That's so sweet about your mom and the cat she adopted. I'm just as much a dog person but my building doesn't allow dogs. If I could have a dog my three favorite breeds are the French Bulldog, English Bulldog and the Pug. I guess I am drawn to "ugly" dogs. I think they are so cute.
    Donna

• kgsmom
    17 years ago

for any of you gals who are reaching "that time", I just read "I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman" by Nora Ephron and found myself LOL at most of it with DH looking at me like I was a little nuts. ( I also do that with all the Janet Evanovich book!) I enjoyed it so much that I sent copies to several of my best gal pals for Xmas.

• organic_donna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks kgsmom,
    I meant to get that book, maybe I'll buy it today. If it makes me laugh I'd love it.
    Donna

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

You know what, I'm reading with my daughter a series of a kind of book I'd been hoping and hoping to find: history written from a dramaturgical perspsective, i.e. a narrative of causes and dynamics, rather than facts and famous men. This series, called "The Drama of American History" (various titles) by Christopher Collier and James Lincoln Collier, is finally making the country's past come alive for my daughter, who is VERY much into fiction and narrative but not so much into "nonfiction fact" kind of books, as she puts it.

Of course, it helps that the perspective they take is one that coincides with ours...just a warning to preview these before you offer them to your child, if you are so inclined. We found ours at the library but I'm ordering them all used from amazon to keep. They're what she can draw on (including the references) until she's ready for Howard Zinn (there's a clue to our perspective :)).

I'm finding it really enjoyable to read out loud, like a storybook, and chat about things along the way. Thank GOODNESS for these guys--they've made a huge contribution to our family's educational journey.

Here is a link that might be useful: one in the series

• awm03
    17 years ago

If you enjoy biographies or 20th century history, this is a good read: Lee Miller: A Life. Lee Miller was an artistic beauty who captivated New York's fashion & arts crowd in the late 20s, moved to Paris where she transformed from Man Ray's muse & model to a significant art photographer in her own right, then became one of the few woman journalists who covered World War II. Increasingly fueled by alcohol & benzedrene, she gave up her whirlwind life and turned to cooking as a creative & emotional outlet. She eventually became a foodie, palling around with James Beard & other culinary bigwigs. Lots of affairs and adventures along the way.

• emagineer
    17 years ago

Loved the animal stories too. When in England, one of my planned stops was Harriot's vet hospital. It was wonderful, fascinating...everything was just as it was when he practiced there and even had the original TV setting where they filmed. The people in the little town loved visiting Americans and would repeat that we were the reason his books become popular.

A book I recommend to many is Mrs. Chippy's Last Expedition (tis a "he" though). It is about the cat on Shackleton's Antarctica expedition, brought aboard by the ship's carpenter. Written with the cat's view, has wonderful pics of the expedition, ship, men and history story of this sad event. Although a teen level book, highly read by adults and found in the adult section. Be ready for a very sad ending, but truely a worthwhile read.

• momx3
    17 years ago

Expecting Adam by Martha Beck is one of my favorites of all time. It's out of print now but perhaps can get it from the library. I just picked up a new children's book that is selling big this season: The Marvelous Voyage of Edward Tulane. Lovely story for children of all ages.

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

This isn't a book I've read lately but it is one that stands out as one of the best books I've ever read. It is called Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China. It is a biographical book about three generations of women in China.

• User
    17 years ago

flyleft, I just wanted to say how much I admire Howard Zinn

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Whoo - this is a great thread. I picked up some C.S.Lewis in a bookstore in the Atlanta airport, where I was stranded overnight due to weather, coming back from a visit to my relatives in Memphis last fall. Had just settled down with this pithy author when two college-aged girls, also stranded, "adopted" me - and we had a grand slumber party that evening! So much for the read - and have been so busy with the kitchen and teaching - but want to get back soon to Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity.

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

alexr, :)

A cool story: at the local mall's Giving Tree (or is it Sharing Tree? I get confused) where there are posted requests from folks from various social service agencies for holiday presents, one person actually wanted _You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train_, which I'd never heard of before...I found a *signed* copy at a local bookstore and turned it in. It was an education for me and I hope the recipient was happily surprised :)

• beth4
    17 years ago

I heartily endorse Gibby3000's recommendation for "Wild Swans". It's a superb book, and I've been recommending it to everyone. I read it before I visited China in April, and it really helped prepare me for my trip.

• jubileej
    17 years ago

A trip into the Harvard Coop with a friend today made me realize just how important it is not to let all the kitchen research crowd out the renewing of the mind!

Find a good bookstore - stay away from the kitchen section, if you can, and by all means, take a friend!

• lowspark
    17 years ago

All he ever wanted by Anita Shreve. I thought it was a good read.

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

Old books, new books...how about books-yet-to-come? :) I just read that the 7th HP (HP and the Deadly/Deathly Hallows) reached #1 on the Amazon.co.uk site **8 hours after the title was listed for pre-order!** I just can't imagine the experience of being J.K. Rowling right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: geez..and to think her pub. co. warned a few weeks ago