Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

IPL sessisons

User
10 years ago

I am considering have IPL done to my face for broken caps around my nose and some brown spots. I am actually have a patch test done on Friday. Anyone have this done or know of someone. There is so much online dont know what is true and what isnt. I am supposedly a good candidate, fair skin, daily sunscreen user, sun avoider. I would have it done at a plastic surgeon's office.

Comments (12)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I've had it done twice, at roughly a 5 year interval. I did not have a series done, just a single session each time, but I think that depends on what needs to be addressed on your particular skin. Don't have broken capillaries so I can't speak to that. I have some freckles that have grown over the years and become more abundant and the IPL takes care of them. I'm fair skinned but do tan even with sunscreen because I'm outside a lot in summer. I will probably have another session sometime this fall when all the summer tan I have is gone. I have it done at my dermatologist's office, never had a patch test. Not sure what you're reading or what you are concerned about being true or untrue but if you ask and I know, I'll try and help. Before I had it done the first time, I asked my doctor what she would do if she were me - one procedure only - and she said IPL because it's longer lasting than many other procedures and a lot of bang for the buck because it makes everything about your face fresher without the down time of a peel (which I would never do). Obviously I'm satisfied enough to be a repeat customer.

• User
    10 years ago

I had IPL done on my face once. Hurt a lot, but very effective. Unfortunately, they're baaaaaaackkkk. Mostly because I'm outside a lot and sweat so much I cannot keep sunscreen on my face.

I would be interested in how effective it is on broken caps.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dlm2000- I feel better. I am also hoping to have only one session done, maybe two but definately not more. did you have any swelling or just redness? Did you have it done underneath your eyes? How long before you were presentable? Anything negative you can comment on, besides the pain. Thanks for any info you can give me.

java- it is supposed to be quite effective on broken caps. I have a few around my nose and a couple small ones on my cheek and under my eye. If I go ahead, we'll see how the patch test goes, I will definately post and let you know. Other than the pain, any other negative comments?

• frankginakay
    10 years ago

I bought a 2 session treatment. The first treatment actually helped one of my broken capillaries around the nose, but not my brown spots. The 2nd treatment, I used the numbing creme so they could turn up the "heat". It did a good job on some of my brown spots. I now apply sunscreen every day under my make up. I think the brown spots just reappear with any amount of sun.
    There was no down time, and I had no redness for my treatments. I would do again, mainly for the capillaries.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

roseabbey your eyes have to be well covered, obviously, to protect your vision. I had one freckle/sun spot below my lower lashes, and it was difficult to put the eye protection on and still leave that exposed but she worked at it and got it. The covering has some kind of adhesive on the edges so it stays put. I had no swelling and almost no redness. Last time I went directly to the grocery store afterwards. After a couple of days, the freckles get darker, then start to dry, like a little scab, then fall off. It didn't stop me either time from going about my normal routine and I'm vain enough that if I felt conspicuous I would have stayed home. I think if you have large dark spots they might be more visible but mine just look like darker freckles. My normal face makeup is a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen and provides enough to 'smooth' out the look of the freckles as they darken - doesn't completely cover but enough for me. As for the pain, honestly it's not a big deal - feels like a rubber band being snapped on your skin over and over as it moves around your face. Granted..... that's not comfortable but I didn't find it horribly painful at all. Damage from sun exposure years ago will continue to crop up - this isn't a one time fix all procedure.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ginsksy, I havent read that brown spots reappear without sun exposure, that doesnt make sense. Glad to hear they worked on broken caps.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dlm, hope I have same experience as you. Are you a retin a or trentinoin cream user? Have you noticed any fat or collagen loss. That is one of the things some are claiming.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I had VBeam done for slight Rosacea a few months ago. Plus side was two small broken vessels on nose/side disappeared. They went away, but then came back... then went away and stayed gone. She told me they would most likely do that. DH was so impressed with my treatments (had two 3 weeks apart) he had it done to the vessels on his nose. I had 2 small age spots (near hairline/forehead and by ear) and those are now gone.

I had IPL twice several years ago and the results didn't last but a few weeks each time. No age spots at that time.

I don't use Retina A or any other creams/lotions, only 30spf sunscreen with zinc on face and hands.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

allison, what were the results from your ipl initially and what results came back a few weeks later?

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Redness on nose and blood vessel came back with the IPL both times.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

roseabbey - no retin a or trentinoin cream (don't even know what the trentinoin is) here. I have used retin before, sporadically. Honestly I'm not consistent with anything except a nightly *hot* clean wash cloth held to my face, (rinse/repeat 2 - 3 x) after washing with St Ives Make-up Remover. Can't remember where I read about that years ago or who was recommending it but my skin responded to it better than anything else I've ever done so I've continued. I do use moisturizer fairly consistently around my eyes and my neck at night (Boots No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Serum) and will use it on more of my face in the winter if I feel dry. I inherited good skin - not great, not oh my g-d she looks amazing skin - but even color, good tone, not horrid wrinkles. I'm doing my best to get comfortable with being uncomfortable about aging gracefully and staying on the non-invasive side of procedures - we'll see how that goes! Fitness is a huge part of my life because even more than how my face looks, I believe how I feel, how I move and hold myself play a larger part in the overall appearance of age. Posture, posture posture!!! My mother was a firm believer in fitness, particularly flexibility and always told me the first sign of age is loss of flexibility - she was doing yoga in the mid 60's - before anyone knew anything about yoga. When she was still alive, my DH used to say she was the cutest older woman he'd ever known and she was!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dlm - trentinoin is vitamin A cream.

I think it is harder, imo ,for our generation to age gracefully when you see celebrities who look amazing at an older age (some not so good)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2429651/Raquel-Welch-73-stuns-pre-Emmys-2013-party-appears-wearing-wig-create-glossy-mane.html