Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprengle1

Silestone v Zodiaq v Cambria v Caesarstone...

sprengle1
15 years ago

I'm such a newbie at all of this and have yet to make any final decisions other than my cabinets. I'm hoping some of you can help inform me so I can start moving in the right direction with this!

Is any one of the quartz countertops better than another? If so, why? I know that Lowe's carries other brands as well. How are they?

Also, where is a good place to look for and buy them? I've only ever looked at the big box stores.

Comments (9)

• ziggysun
    15 years ago

Hi sprengle1. I have Cambria countertops, I went with them because a friend of ours had a connection and they had a color that worked for me. If you do a search of each brand, and go to their various websites, they should have a "Dealer Locator" and you may be able to find a showroom close to your location to view each different brand.

As to whether one is better than the other, I really don't know?

• sippy_south
    15 years ago

I'm considering buying a Newport Brass faucet for my kitchen. Does anyone have one and if you do-do you like it? Is the quality that much better than say a Delta or something in that range? Are they worth what you pay for them?
    Thanks! :)

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Sippy_south, you may want to start a new thread with that question so everyone sees it. Otherwise only people reading this countertop thread can see it.

As for the various brands of quartz - I don't know that there's really any difference, other than the various colors available and what each manufacturer considers a quality or warranty issue. One person on this forum had problems with Cambria - there was major "resin pooling" on her countertop (do a search for that term), and Cambria wouldn't replace it. I bought Zodiaq because I liked one of its colors the best.

• old1880home
    15 years ago

I'm the one that had the experience Charlikin mentioned. We replaced our quartz with a granite top from Lowe's. I learned the hard way to buy from the big box stores like HD or Lowe's. Your happiness is guaranteed. My sister works in the flooring department at Lowe's and she tells me people have their whole house carpeted then decide they don't like the color. Lowe's replaces all of it for FREE!

• caligal
    15 years ago

I think w/ Quartz it is mostly the preference of color. Just make sure you know who is doing the fabrication and install. If possible ask to see their work or get references.

Also, some places charge by the slab. You may only need 1 and 1/3 slab, but pay for 2 slabs. I bought at The Great Indoors because they charged by the linear ft. and not by the slab.

If you have model homes near you, that is a good place to see different colors and materials.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

Agreed: they're all basically the same, although Silestone contains microban - opinions vary on whether that's a good thing or not.

I went with Cambria because it's manufactured in the US. Caesarstone is manufactured in Israel, Silestone in Spain, Hanstone in Korea.

I like Cambria's environmental position (they have a statement on their website) and I felt that not having to have the finished item shipped from Europe was better from the point of view of reducing the carbon footprint of my remodel.

• laurap_2007
    15 years ago

As far as I know there is little difference between the products other than the colors, and even they are similar for the most part. I have Silestone in Maple Blanco and love it.

• rpallen4_comcast_net
    12 years ago

If they all are the same why does Home Depot and Lowes have different price levels for different colors? Anyone that sells Cambria doesn't have price breaks. Very confusing. Has anyone had a bad install job of quartz from HD or Lowes?

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

It's been several years since I bought from Home Depot but I had to pay for a LOT more countertop than I needed. My bathroom vanity was small but was way less than their minimum. Apparently there are better deals now.