Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Weeks without counters or sink when replacing countertops--true?

julieste
11 years ago

I am working with a couple different fabricators and trying to make a decision about which one to hire to replace my tile countertops with soapstone and marble. My current counters are the old-fashioned look with contrasting color rounded bullnose edgers. The tile is laid on top of cement backer board that is on top of plywood.

One guy (company number one) told me that they do computerized templating, and I can leave my current counters in place for the couple weeks it takes to make the counters. They can do the templating process and then tear out the old counters a day or two before the new install. This sounds like a pretty nice process and easy for us with no hassle.

Another company told me that all of the counters (and thus the sink) need to be removed before the templating can be done. Then, the templating is done, and I should probably plan on three weeks maybe before installatiion. This sounds like a mess and a hassle for us.

But, of course, company number two (the one where we will have no counters for weeks) is the one that I like the best. They have the best recommendations for what I am doing, they have provided the most service already doing a lot of calling around to find exactly what I am looking for, and their bid is lowest.

What is the common scenario for replacing counters and doing this templating deal? With the type of counter top situation we have (all of this thick bullnosed tile), will both procedure produce equal results?

What were your experiences when you replaced your counter tops? It is my understanding that my situation is different from someone who just took out easily removable formica counter tops. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

My experiences:

For the reno: They templated after the old counters were removed. This way they can check to make sure your cabinets are level. They came back a week later with the counters for installation.

New Construction: Templated after the lower cabinets were installed, but this is a larger project than last one, plus they had to coordinate 2 teams to come to carry in the oversized island, so I waited 2 weeks. Otherwise, the counters were ready w/n a week, but like I said the island was one piece, 10'+ long x 4'+ wide. The first guys were able to get the perimeter in, and then the other guys arrived and all 5 carried (yes, not wheeled) the slab in).

Maybe ask why it takes so long to fabricate your counters, if it is just that they template, wait 2 weeks before fabrication, then start and then come back after 3 weeks, ask if they can schedule you a little tighter.

Otherwise, it's not big deal to put a piece of plywood on the counter to use.

• maryl1
    11 years ago

Is it possible for the second fabricator to template if you remove the old tiles and bullnose edges down to the plywood? Are you replacing your current sink? The fabricator will need the new sink or at least the template that comes with that sink so that they can do the cutout for it.

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

We did what mary said, just the other day. I removed all tile down to rough top, but left the old sink in place. We templated, (although challenging around existing sink and faucets) and I will continue to use sink up until a day before they bring and install Soapstone. We don't have a lot of counter top, so turnaround time is only a few days anyway, but still nice to use the sink in the meantime...

• bcafe
    11 years ago

That is how long it was for us if not longer. We tore everything out because we were getting new flooring, paint, etc. Once our installers templated, via laser, it took took about 3 weeks for our stone to come. We had it shipped from CO.

• Melissa-Kitchen
    11 years ago

We had granite installed in December. They templated with the old countertops on. Unfortunately, they cut the sink in the wrong spot so I had to go five days without a sink while they ordered new granite and cut it. I don't know of that is the right way to do it but I had four quotes and none of the companies expected me to go weeks without a counter.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

No GC?

You get to get some plywood, make a temporary counter to hold a temporary sink, and then plumb everything up.

When I was renovating full time I had a sink, faucet, and section of counter that just sat around until needed.

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

Our Corian was templated with the old countertops intact. We did the tearout (very easy - it was old laminate) on a Sunday, the new one went in on a Monday with no problems.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

I think it's legit to explain to the fabricators that this would be an imposition and ask what they might suggest to mitigate it. There are lots of imaginative suggestions above; things can be done. And you can gently clarify that this is important to you and will be part of the way you decide on who to give the job to. For some, it is what it is and they'll just leave that time-frame untouched. But others might want to work with you to squeeze it smaller if they understand you care about it. Everything's negotiable and this seems like a perfect instance of something that could be.

g'luck!

• springroz
    11 years ago

I lived with plywood for 4 MONTHS while -waiting for the walnut to dry, then get fabricated into countertops. DH installed the sink, plumbing, etc, and he had NEVER done that stuff before!

Nancy

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the feedback! I just didn't know what to expect since I was getting this conflicting information. I have to admit that my gut is that I will get a better end product if there are no countertops in place when the templating is done, and that is how fabricator number two (my preferred one)operates.

Good suggestions on asking why it takes so long after the templating is done to get the counters installed, especially since the material is right here in town already, and the fabricator only needs to go over to the yard to pick it up.

I can more easily see living for three weeks without countertops than the sink (and as my husband said, if there is no sink there is also no dishwasher!). Since we plan to reuse our sink, I think I am going to talk to them about the possiblity of leaving the sink in as someone else here did.

I appreciate the personal stories and the advice.