Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

Ironing Board

flseadog
14 years ago

I've searched this forum as well as cleaning, kitchens, and organizing and can find nothing on ironing boards. I'm in the market for a new one but the last time I bought one was over 30 years ago when I was first married. A quick look at what is available at Wal-mart, Target, etc. shows that 2 basic types are available---a T leg which is what my old one was and a 4 leg model. Each of these is available in various widths from about 12 to 18 inches and at various prices from $15 to $45. Is there any reason to prefer one type of leg over another? Is there any reason to prefer one width over another? Back in the day only one model was available so that is what I bought. I'd be very interested to hear your opinions. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• cryptandrus
    14 years ago

Are you average height? If not, a T-leg with height adjustability (did I spell that right?) might be a good choice.

I have a small IronAway (it folds up into a pocket in the wall) and for sewing I have an old wooden 4-leg model. It's OLD, probably from the 1930's. I love it because it's so sturdy, you can really press on it and it doesn't wobble or smoosh down.

I've only used T-leg ironing boards in hotels, and I've never liked them, they always seem flimsy and bendy to me.

If you actually plan on using it frequently I'd go for the best and most sturdy one you can find. Walmart and Target are going to have cheaper models, but maybe not the best.

What are you going to use it for? Do you sew? Ironing shirts? Tablecloths? Or do you need something lightweight and easy to store that you rarely use?

• flseadog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, cryptandrus. So it seems that the main difference in T-leg and 4 leg is the adjustability and then after that only quality matters? Generally I only iron when necessary and that has been turning out to be about 2 or 3 things a week these days---tablecloths and curtains from time to time, and touch ups of supposedly no-iron shirts or pants for DH. My SIL says she has only used a T-leg and she likes to adjust it very low and sit down to do her ironing but she does a lot of ironing. I can't imagine sitting to iron since for me it involves a lot of activity of reaching and placing the items properly on the ironing board. You have given me a lot to think about and I also want to thank you for bringing back memories of my mother's old wooden ironing board. I learned to iron on it back in the 50's and I haven't thought about it in years. It withstood a lot of ironing for a family of 7 and she still had it back in the 80's. I'll have to ask my sister what became of it.

• cryptandrus
    14 years ago

So it seems that the main difference in T-leg and 4 leg is the adjustability and then after that only quality matters?

Yes, I think so... and you want something that's going to suit your particular needs. Get something that is going to be easy for you to move around and put away, too. If it's sturdy but you hurt your back moving it, then that's not a good thing!

I just happened to see see this discussion about ironing boards...

it's from another forum called automaticwasher (dot) org.

You might find it helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: another ironing board discussion thread