Houzz Logo Print
francoise47

Help furnish/finish the breakfast nook

francoise47
12 years ago

Hi All,

Four months after the kitchen reno was officially completed,

I'm still struggling to figure out what table and chairs I want

for the breakfast nook/banquette area in the corner of my kitchen.

Originally, I wanted a very 1920s cottage feel.

But now it feels like the nook table needs a bit more presence, formality, and heft for the space.

I've done a little photoshopping of the nook,

adding in chairs and table from Arhaus

and some Rejuvenation sconces on the wall.

Tell me what you think:

1. Is the table too "heavy" and British Colonial for my inset white painted kitchen?

2. Thumbs up or down on the chairs? They feel a bit "dressy" for a kitchen.

Or, could I talk myself into them by thinking of them as "chic cottage"?

The chairs come in a variety of finishes and fabrics.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

I hope that all these photos don't try your patience.

Here is the 48 inch round table of interest.

(As an aside, why does the company that makes this table

call it "British Colonial"?

Is it just that it is made in India of Mango wood?

Perhaps we need a new design around this thread

on that so-last decade style "British Colonial"):

{{gwi:1581587}}

Potential table photoshopped over my existing table:

{{gwi:1581588}}

Below, the perhaps "too fancy" chairs, table, and sconces photoshopped into my kitchen. The inset photo shows what the rest of my kitchen looks like. Perhaps a secondhand or antique version of these chairs would look better than these too modern new ones?

{{gwi:1581589}}

One more photo of the existing kitchen so that you can help me figure out if this table and chairs would fit with the style of the kitchen:

{{gwi:1581590}}

Thanks for any and all ideas and suggestions.

Comments (17)

• francoise47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is an alternate idea: a painted and more cottage table:

{{gwi:1581591}}

• sserra85
    12 years ago

I love where you're heading. On that note, I love the dark table and am thinking of getting a similar one in my eat in kitchen. The chairs do not seem a good fit for the overall scheme. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is about them, but I just don't love em. Also, How about bringing everything together by using the same fabric on the curtains in both areas and on the chairs as well?

• francoise47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Twn85, Thanks so much for your suggestions/comments and for putting your eyes to my design challenge.
    I agree that the chairs don't seem quite right.

The existing curtain fabric (with a light green ground) is in fact used throughout the kitchen. I'm keeping it.

I posted the Galbraith and Paul yellow medallion fabric in the powerpoint just for fun. I'm sorry it just makes the photoshop slide confusing.

Thanks!

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

I have to say, I'm torn because I like both. But I do think that the scale of the base of the green table is better for your space...but I think you could go wood or painted...with painted evoking a slightly more countryish or whimsical feel. Wood a little more *serious*...your kitchen is beautiful btw.
    And can I ask you how your cafe curtains are hanging? Your photo inspired me to make some for my in-progress kitchen, but the rings I have are just not working...too much space in between the fabric and the cafe rod. Any chance you can show me a close up of the top of those pretty curtains? So much appreciated!
    j.

• francoise47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Jalsy6,

Thanks for your opinion and advice.

I don't know if my device for hanging my cafe curtains is very elegant:
    but it works and was very cheap!

I used round 1 inch diameter cafe clips, purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond for 3.99 for a pack of 14 clips.

Here are some close up photos:

• michellemarie
    12 years ago

I love the round table. It adds warmth and character to your kitchen, and because it is round, it softens up the space. I also think it is a very classy design and you will probably love it for years to come.
    I am not a fan of the chairs you have pictured. They are too formal for the space and I don't feel a good match for the table.
    Good luck and I am thinking of copying you window treatment for my master bath!

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

I'm so stopping there on my way home from work. Thanks for the pix! I've been trying to figure out how your curtain was so nice and close to the rod...your picture makes perfect sense. You pinched the fabric and attached the clip from the back?
    That fabric is so pretty...

I agree about the chairs...I think just slightly modern for the table and space...what about the isabella chair from PB? I know the rush seat might not be right, but something along those lines maybe? Could add a pop of color if you go with the wooden table

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Isabella chair

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I really like the table and I think it looks just right for your space. The weight and style seems great to me (though I have no idea what British Colonial is). To me, the warm wood tone works well with your island top.

I'm in agreement with francoise47 and michellemarie that the chairs don't seem quite right. I agree that they don't work well with the space or table, and are probably too formal. I also think they may be too modern/sleek and the wood tone does not seem to relate.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I used these, for the DAT pink kitchen thread. Would something like this work?
    {{gwi:1581594}}From Pink kitchen
    {{gwi:1581595}}From Pink kitchen

And maybe a few roses for the chair fabric? :) {{gwi:1581596}}From Pink kitchen

• cmm6797
    12 years ago

Francoise47,
    We have a table almost identical to that in our nook and I love it. Our kitchen looks similar to yours- white cabinetry with honed black granite. I think the wood table adds some warmth to the white and black scheme. Also the design of the table is PERFECT for an L-shaped banquette. The big pedastal in the middle is ideal. Our table was from an antique store so it's probably not the same one, but I could email pictures to you if your email is on this site anywhere. (emailing pictures from my phone is just a lot simpler than uploading to photobucket.)

Our chairs are distressed white from Crate & Barrel.

On a side note, would you mind telling me what the fabric is on your curtain? I'm searching for something similar to make pillows on the banquette.

Thanks! And let me know if you're interested in pics.

• francoise47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Cmm6797,

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experience about kitchen tables and chairs. I would love to see your pictures.
    Yes, you can get my email on Gardenweb.

The fabric is Cheltenham Floral breeze from Calico Corners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheltenham Floral Breeze at Calico Corners

• 64reno64
    12 years ago

I agree with the general opinion here - yes to the first table and no on the chairs. They seem a little too delicate for the space and the color doesnt add to the space. Your kitchen is beautiful. Great job! I did a soapstone island instead of wood, and now I regret it just a little - yours is gorgeous. The wood table looks like it will blend well with your island.

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

My 2 cents... I think it's the dark wood on the chairs that I don't care for. What if you painted the chairs a color from the curtains? I love the table, and your kitchen is beautiful!

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

Like the lightness of the painted green table and the chairs as well. Where I would put something larger in scale /design wise is in the lighting.Really would choose something other than the 2 fixtures up top-[is that a pic?]Something really eye catching there would finish it off-I just see a lighter feel around the banquette and in/around the table base and getting on/off chairs as being nicer for the space.

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

How many people do you plan to have sitting on each bench? If it will be more than one per bench, it seems like the table will be a bit far from one person on each side due to the curve of the circle. (For example, if someone were sitting where the far right pillow is, it looks like the table would be a bit far for eating. If pushed closer for that person, it would be tight for anyone sitting where the middle cushion is.) If you'll have 2+ per bench, an oblong or rectangular table would be easier for everyone to reach comfortably. How about finding a big piece of cardboard or even using plywood to mock up a cirle in the size of the table top. Set it on a stool and see how it feels when sitting at the bench in a few different spots. Maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong and it will be perfect!

Having said all that, I love the finish of the first table.

• francoise47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions about aesthetics, function, and size of the table.
    I have heard you and the fancy chair are out.
    Thanks for helping me see that.

Thanks, Cmm6797, for sending pictures of your lovely kitchen and breakfast nook.

The Arhaus pedestal table is still a contender
    (although the sale just ended).
    Here it is presented with some more casual chairs,
    the ubiquitous "x" back chair:

{{gwi:1581597}}

I'm also still considering a bit "dressier" look for the banquette area
    with a table like this one below (although probably not with the contrasting white piping):

{{gwi:1581598}}

Thanks, again, for all your sets of eyes and smart suggestions.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Your proposed wood table reminds me of Bristish West Indies style such as Ethan Allen's British Classic collection. If you look at their peices, you will see that some accent pieces have rattan. It really makes the furniture lend itself to both a formal look with the dark toned wood, yet some casual feeling with the rattan. Pricey, but you can find cheaper furniture in this same style (except for the bombay chest which is way overpriced and nothing similiar / cheaper exists! Errrrr).

But then again, your photshopped sconces and chairs have a modern style (to me) and your fabric on the bench also is more modern. Maybe the darker table shown by Francoise47 would work better.

I love your kitchen which has a farmhouse, cottagey feel and if it were mine, I'd stick to this style for most elements. I'd also put a small chandelier over the table instead of wall mounted sconces.