Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamesrgeib

What's the longest you've gone with no FL washer problems?

jamesrgeib
16 years ago

I want to get a washer and dryer pair for my wife (Anniversary in about a month.), but reading reviews on the web is not very encouraging. It seems like there are frequently problems with newer FL machines regardless of brand.

I realize that for every complaint on the Internet there are a dozen other's out there with no problems who don't post on the Internet.

However, I decided to get a feel for washer problems on this site since there seem to be some laundry room enthusiasts here!

How long have you gone with no problems with your FL washer and/or dryer? (Also, what brand are you using?)

Comments (29)

• mc58
    16 years ago

Hi jamesrgeib, I have had a problem since July 2007, I had a frigidaire front load for 7-8 yrs before that, I had a problem with the struts on it going out twice, we fixed it the first time second time we replaced it with worst, as you probably read my post. GOOD LUCK!

• chipshot
    16 years ago

I hope you're getting her something in addition to the washer-dryer pair as an anniversary present.

• jamesrgeib
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A card. :-)

• mike_73
    16 years ago

I would not get her a washer and dryer set unless thats what she asked for as an anniversary gift, and even then you should still get her a nice card maybe some flowers and have a nice evening out to a show or movie and a nice dinner.

As for the washer I have had a Frigidaire Front load washer since April 2005 and have had no issues so far. I even move it across town with me once. they are all heavy due to the counter balances they have. The Frigidaire washer is pretty basic but had worked well for me. I would have rather gotten a Bosch but it was over budget at the time. I do not have the matching dryer I still have my old GE dryer since it still works fine. I do think Frigidaire's dryers are a bit small inside.

• jamesrgeib
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The washer and dryer are gifts to ourselves, I'm just footing most of the bill.

Don't worry, I have the day planned, and I'm a romantic!

(Happily married 7 years)

• gordonr
    16 years ago

Just ask my wife what happened when her father gave her step mother a fancy new vacuum cleaner as the main x-mas gift one year. I don't think the police had to come to the house, but it wasn't pretty.

As for time between repairs...

Memory isn't perfect on this but our Asko went about 9 years doing about a dozen washes per week before the impeller on the drain pump broke because some kids piece of stuff got lodged in there. At the time Asko didn't have a filter that would keep stuff that got that far downstream from getting in the impeller.

• asolo
    16 years ago

Three trouble-free, excellent-performance years with my Duet pair. (My first HE machines.) Hope it continues.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Miele FL washer since January 2003. No problems

• rogerv_gw
    16 years ago

Fridgemore since 2001, no problems...

-Roger

• rich1970
    16 years ago

My parents record is

1970 - 1986 White Westinghouse (broke in move)
    1986 - early 2000 another White Westinghouse
    5 years with Maytag no issues

My record is

1 year with Fridgidaire (prior to that was an LG that lasted about 6 months between issues)

• rwng
    16 years ago

We've had our Fridgidare for 5-6 years now and no problems. I had to clean some change and b-b's out of the pump but that's about it.

• housekeeping
    16 years ago

One of my Asko washers from the early 90's needed a new motor about a year ago. My Mieles from mid 90's are working like champs with no need for service or any problems. My machines work very hard, too.

However the longevity and satisfaction on my older machines may not be predictive for current models. Perhaps you need to re-phrase your question like this: How many of you who have purchased new FL washers in the last year or two and are still happy with them, and which brands? I know you want to chose very long-lasting machines but you can't make an accurate inference forward from the long term data on older models because even the highest-end, pricey, machines like Miele often make substantial changes in their lines. 'Nuff said.

If you aren't the one doing the laundry don't foist FLs off on your DW unless you know she's longing for them. As a class FL are better than TL, IMO, but they do take some getting used to and you have to be willing to adjust your laundry practices to the machine, if necessary.

Molly~

• mr._jms
    16 years ago

Hi. I have a Maytag Neptune washer and dryer. This was the second version of the Neptunes which I purchased May 1, 1999. Both washer and dryer have been working perfectly. Not one bit of trouble in the past nine years. I guess I was one of the fourtunate ones that got a good working Neptune pair.

• pharmer25
    16 years ago

QUOTED: "I would not get her a washer and dryer set unless thats what she asked for as an anniversary gift, and even then you should still get her a nice card maybe some flowers and have a nice evening out to a show or movie and a nice dinner

You know your wife. It really depends how practical she is. Instead of wedding gifts to each other, we did the washer/dryer thing. Instead of a birthday gift I asked for a relaxing weekend at home while my husband did all the cleaning- and I mean all. I say go for the washer/dryer!! Christmas this year purchased a video camera for our new arrival.

I have nothing else to contribute to this thread. Hope you find what you are looking for!

• laundry_goddess
    16 years ago

Stacked Miele's since 1999. No problems at all. Love em... but Housekeeping is right to suggest a sober second look at newer models.

• kclv
    16 years ago

I have had my Frigidaire 2940 since January 2006, and no repairs yet. It is pretty basic, no on-board heater or fancy steam, but works well for me.

• mike_73
    16 years ago

Hey I never said there was anything wrong with getting the washer and dryer as an anniversary gift. if your practical and it sound like you both probable are Its great. you will both like not taking laundry out to wash it.

on here a lot of people will only post to get info or talk about problems, so you hear bout many problems more than the good. any machine can break down or be a lemon. what you read here is not a good representation of the average buyers experience.

Mapletex I have the best buy version of your washer. I like it, it good, basic and does the job but its not as smooth as Bosch or other more expensive washers.

• srswirl
    16 years ago

Well...I've had my Frigidaire Gallery series set since 1996 without a single problem. At least 8 loads per week all these 12 years...and they still run like brand new (and still look it, too). AND...the washer has a nice sweet smell in the interior with the stainless having been polished to a super smooth, super shiny luster by all its loads of clothes. Never one spore of mold...in South Florida no less!

The set is getting ready to go to my partner's daughter for use in her new condo since I have recently purchased the Bosch 700 set because I wanted to upgrade to a washer with the built-in heater. I have discovered that a washer with a built-in heater, when used properly by the machine, does, indeed, make a difference. However, the Frigidaire is still an amazing machine and I still love it, even after at least 5,000 loads of laundry!

• plumbly22
    16 years ago

ALL brands seem to have problems of one sort or another for some owners.

Things to consider before your purchase...

do you want a heater in the machine to bring the water up to specific temperatures, or are you ok with the temperature 'mix' at the wall from your plumbing?

Do you want to stack them?

Do you want pedestals?

Do you want color?

Do you want steam?

Do the door directions cause you a problem? Washers typically hinge on the left as you face them, dryers typically are changeable.

What are you space limitations? (these are usually deeper than most tl machines)

Who has authorized service providers near you and IF you buy at elsewhere will those 'local' providers be the ones who come to you? (see postings here about being tol you;re on a list, but not getting service quickly since you bought elsewhere)

Once you know these things, then go look, touch, and feel the different machines. ust doing that may influence you choice. I personally 'just liked' the feel of one brand over another and that ended up being the decision making point...

Whatever you end up with, I hope you end up with a 'success' pick, and reasonably local, reliable service.

• mc_hudd
    16 years ago

I agree w/ Pharmer, you know your wife well enough (hopefully :) ) to know if she'll like a new w/d for a gift. Personally, I would LOVE that as a gift, but I would want to be the one to pick it out since I'm the one who does all of the laundry, so you might want to think about that. My DH & I are the same way w/ gifts, most of the time we get 1 big practical thing as gifts for both of us. Anyway, I think it's a great idea!!

Also, I have a Maytag Epic set, but I can't really tell you much about them. We purchased them in 8/07 and had them installed in our house we're fixing up (not living there yet). Of course, as soon as they were up & running I had to give them a try & so far I love them, but I've only done about 5 or 6 loads of laundry in them, so...

Good luck! :)

• Cadyren
    16 years ago

Bosch Nexxt since July '06 and no problem yet. No problems adjusting to a front loader either.

• circa1957
    16 years ago

Well-put inquiry!

Brand-new Speed Queen front-loader: SIX loads, perhaps 8 tops. Horrendous metal sound in much-touted stainless steel spin basket during final spin at 1000 RPMs. Speed Queen advised us to call for warranty service. Authorized service provider came out next business day. Replacement spin basket was shipped in cardboard box and arrived damaged. Have just been told it will be another two weeks before part is in. We have been unable to use the washer since February 14. Not exactly the superior customer service Speed Queen claims to strive for on their website.

Speed Queen/Alliance rep informed me this is a fluke. (I seem to recall similar comments when I called Maytag Priority One Service in 1998 when mildew first appeared in the rubber door seal of our Maytag Neptune Front-Loader.) For what it's worth, in almost ten years, we had no other problems with the Neptune front-loader until its recent demise.

The only replacement machines we considered were Miele and Speed Queen and we feel totally duped. After drooling over the bells and whistles offered by Miele, we decided to go back to the basics with Speed Queen's "commercial quality" machines.

Plumbly 22 has excellent points. Also, beware of salespeople only interested in promoting appliances which provide them with "spiffs." We went to the Brand Source dealer that sold us our built-in refrigerator and double oven since they carried Speed Queen. They only wanted to sell us the latest models of another manufacturer which all of the salesmen just happened to have in their homes.

You have lots of time for web research before the big day. I'd definitely take your wife along on the shopping adventure. Best of luck!

• iasheff
    16 years ago

Whirlpool Duets since 2002... only problems have been 'user error". Once a pocketful of BBs went through the drain pump and the drain pump didn't survive :( Just recently a pencil was in the pocket of jeans and tore the boot. Both repairs were made by my husband. He claims the Duet is the easiest washer he has ever worked on.

Mine are the basic set... have done thousands of loads (I have 4 kids) and I would buy the same ones again!!

• relic
    16 years ago

I have had my Asko set since march of 1995 and have had no problems
    and they still work like new.

• laney50w
    16 years ago

Had my Whirlpool Duet for over 3 years.....no problems yet!

I sell them, we also service them, and find them to be very much trouble free.

Chris

• jamesrgeib
    Original Author
    16 years ago

" He claims the Duet is the easiest washer he has ever worked on. "

This is good to hear, as I repair my own appliances once the warranty has expired.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• dgsj66
    16 years ago

Duets, Duets, Duets, Duets. Can't recommend them highly enough. Since it's an Anniversary present, spring for the Steam option. My brother and his wife have them, and the Steam dryer's a real time saver. Kids and parents alike refresh clothes (read no ironing) all the time instead of washing after short use. My wife and I are replacing our Cabrio on Monday with Duet Steam. I've owned two other Front load pairs and have sold many of most of the brands, and the Duet's the one that customers own for years and buy for their next home.

• PRO
    Papercamera
    16 years ago

I bought a kenmore He2 FL washer. It had a leaking problem a few months after I bought it, which they eventually fixed- for some reason the techs kept thinking I was putting too much soap in it and not blaming the seal around the door! Eventually they replaced the boot around the door and it's been fine since. I've probably had it for 2 years now.

It's loud when it does the high speed spin and shakes, but it's always done that and my basement floors probably aren't the most level, as it was originally dirt down there.

• radar13
    16 years ago

Bosch Nexxt 700 w/d, purchased Apr-07, about four to six loads/week. Sometimes a bit noisy on 1200 spin with one heavy item, otherwise no issues, real nice machines. I would buy them again.
    If you are planning to put them on an upper floor, be careful of installation & vibration issues. Mine are on concrete slab, made my pedestals out of 2x6's. Good luck..