Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaketuo

Proposal help - Lennox vs Bryant

jaketuo
14 years ago

I am rehabbing a small 2-story w/basement home about 100 yrs old, approximately 1250 sq ft plus will be finishing the basement for an additional 500 sq ft. The house is gutted to the studs and has had the old heating unit removed and also the old damaged and leaky ductwork. I am looking to go with a new dual system of heat pump or ac, and furnace. I need a direct venting system as I have removed a old gas heat chimney to open up the floor plan. The house will be spray foam insulated and have new energy star windows and doors. I live in Pennsylvania and it gets hot and humid in the summer. The house had gas heat previously and I believe thats the cheaper option here.

I have gotten a few estimates and have thrown one out since they barely peeked in the house, and the proposal/estimate was just one sentence long:

We were looking to install a new 3 ton 80% payne gas furnace. A coil and a 3 ton condencer 13 seer also payne w/ 10 year limited warrenty, duct the whole house and install honeywell pro 3000 digital and programable thermostat. price $13000.00

Doesnt tell me much does it?

The other two guys measured and spent some time explaining hvac and gave intelligent proposals. I could use some help with figuring which is best for my situation.

1st: Lennox G61MPV-36B-045 45,000btu, two stage, variable speed 94% efficient unit and a Lennox 13 ACX-025 2.5 ton condensor. All ducting, metal insulated, and returns. Price - 11,898.

They offer an upgrade to a heat pump - Lennox 13hpx-030 2.5 ton for an additional 588.

2nd: Offers Bryant systems in good, better and best case. All include whole house duct work,w/ duct mastic and exterior insulation. On the system they recommend (best) they have listed an indoor coil Bryant # CNPV, which i assume is include in the good and better options also.

Good - #340 one stage 90% furnace, #123A 1 stage 13 seer ac Price - 13,550.

Better - #352 two stage 92% furnace, #165A 1 stage 15 seer ac Price - 14,500.

Best - (and recommended system) #355 variable speed 95% furnace, #180A 2 stage 20 seer ac Price - 16850

They also offer an upgrade to a heat pump, "Install a heat pump and turn a 95% efficient gas furnace into 130% hybrid system. Price - 800.

Neither of the above 2 proposals mentioned which thermostat they would install.

Can you guys weigh in with some advise on my options here? Thanks.

Comments (3)