Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murrywoods

Pricing on Trane units

murrywoods
10 years ago

Building a home in SC. We are upgrading our HVAC system. As to not get taken by the builder looking for just the wholesale price of the following units:
This is what came with the house
XB13 ac 3ton
XB 80 gas furance

We are upgrading to
TAM7 2.5 air handler
XR17 Heatpump
Media Filter Cabinet
Thanks,

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Before I give you a reply to your question which BTW you will not like, I would like to speak to two issues.

Prices both dealer and wholesale between different geographic areas can vary. Some brands are more competitive than others. I would describe Trane brand generally less competitive than others and some Trane dealers have so much business that they don't care what the competition quotes. I would think though that Carolina coastal area is highly competitive.

Now to new construction. It s generally known that GCs and HVAC dealer subs have a higher markup than on replacement systems installs. Homeowners lock in to their GC and HVAC sub and they tend to take advantage of a less competitive situation. Not always true, but generally true.

To your question.

I think it is an unfair question and out of line. The horse is out of the gate. Pricing on base parameters along with equipment upgrades should have been known before you signed on the dotted line. You were quoted low end Trane furnace/AC as the base. What you had installed was a high end var speed HP system. I think you should be less concerned about wholesale cost and dealer markup than what the dealer is charging you. And this should have been known a long time ago. I have no idea what your base cost is. A better question to ask is whether the upgrade to the high end system is in line or over the top and excessive.

If Trane saw a dealer post wholesale costs, I suspect they would make it very difficult for that dealer to do future business. In fact, I would say your question is a bit unethical.

Perhaps others will disagree and have a different opinion. Let's see what Ryan has to say.

IMO

• cecash1
    10 years ago

Wholesale pricing is not a set in stone price. It will vary depending on the number of units that a vendor purchases in a years time. Guys that buy 15 units a year will pay more than a guy that buys 100. Its called a modifier rate.

"Wholesale to the public" is a misleading term. Nobody with any snap pays list pricing.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You can expect to pay a high price when you upgrade just about anything over the base model when building a new house. This is how builders add to their profit margin. The price it typically what the system would cost without any credit for the base system.

As a general rule of thumb take the cost of the equipment and multiply it by two to get the installed price for a simple installation.

• murrywoods
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had no idea prices for HVAC systems was so complex. Apologizes for any and all offenses from my post.