Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19706586

Final Accounting

User
10 years ago

With lots of help from this Forum, in 2010 I replaced my nearly 40 year old oil burner and my 18 year old A/C with a Carrier Heat Pump and Carrier Oil Furnace. Also in that year I replaced my electric hot water heater with a GE Hybrid Hot Water Heater.

The money savings were significant as I have reported here on at least a couple of occasions. I am a 71 year old Retired Submariner with multiple degrees from MIT and elsewhere, but have absolutely no experience in HVAC in a residential environment.

I mentioned the age and educational background to allow you to understand that I keep records on everything from the number of times I mow my lawn each month to my female Bulldogs' progesterone serum levels while in heat to optimize the dates for artificial insemination. :-)

Of course I also plot oil usage (actually oil receipts) and monthly electrical charges.... my data goes back to 1996 in these areas. Did I mention I plot my weight daily have that data going back over 10 years? lol

I spent many, many hours analyzing the electrical and oil data with the hopes of coming up with "before and after" numbers for costs to oil heat and electrical costs to heat and cool. This may sound easy if you have the info I described, but it required many hours of interpreting data so as to best sort out these costs.

As an example, July of 2012 was the hottest July on record here in the DC area. July of 2013 (this year) was one of the coolest. Yet my electric usage was actually up 2% in Kwh and 5% in cost this year. (I attribute this to the fact that wife retired in April and she is not as conservation minded as I am. I have been retired the entire time since 1996.)

Anyway, here's what I have.

Prior to 2010 my Heating and Cooling Energy Costs were $1806 per year ($706 Electrical and $1100 Oil.)

After 2010 my Heating and Cooling Costs were $1037 per year ($437 Electrical and $600 Oil.)

My total electric usage per year for the two years before 2010 was $3155.

My total electric usage per year for the two years after 2010 was $2275.

A savings of $880 per year. I ascribe $880-$269 = $611 as the annual savings due to replacing my hot water heater with the Hybrid. That's $50 per month saved!

EDIT: Based on mike_home's comment below I do not believe my savings after 2010 should all be ascribed to reduced hot water heater costs. I'll post below to amend.

I am just now starting to think about the following: If instead of the Carrier system, what would have happened had I opted for Geothermal. (My lot size is OK, but there is water runoff easement attached to my deed that may prevent such an installation.)

I actually believe my oil usage should have been even less after 2010, but my Edge Thermostat has as a default setting keeping the oil heat running...

Comments (5)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

It is great to hear you are saving a significant of money. It seems like the payback period will be short.

What are you paying for a gallon of oil and what are the electric rates?

I would not expect the savings for the new hot water heater to be $50 per month. You must use a lot of hot water! How did you calculate the amount of electricity for hot water usage? How much did you think you are saving on cooling with new heat pump versus the old AC?

The a geothermal system would have lower annual operating costs, but a significantly higher installation cost. It would be interesting to see the return on investment calculation to determine if it would have been a better option.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mike,

Last oil delivery was last December - $3.94/Gal (No oil deliveries in 2011!)

Blended electrical cost for 2012 was .137/Kwh (Total dollars/total Kwh)

Just two of us using hot water, and we submariners use VERY LITTLE water. ;-) Operate Hybrid in heat pump mode only.

The savings on the hot water heater calculation is shakey, at best. It required much time and effort, but I also believe it is high.

Basic assumption was that "hotel loads" are same all year round. This ignores many secondary changes, such as more lighting demand during winter, etc

What I did was go back thru 19 years of data and find the 2,3, or 4 months with distinctively lower usage in each year and record the Kwh for those months. I assumed that these months did not include any usage for heating and cooling. If a month looked suspicious, I did not include it.

I used that average to represent my home electrical usage twelve months a year exclusive of heating and cooling.

I performed this calculation for the period prior to 2010 and also for after 2010 and compared the two to determine hot water savings. (Compared two year's worth to average over 16 years. )

A more correct statement is that my annual savings in electricity exclusive of heating and cooling is $611. As I said, I ascribe all of that savings to hot water heating costs.

My power company thinks my neighbors and I use some $35 per month on hot water heating, so saving $50 per month is likely not very accurate.

Also, I use less electricity than virtually all of my neighbors.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1591656}}

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 10:54

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mike_home's question re savings on hot water costs has caused me to revisit that issue.

I originally posted that the $611 savings annually in NON heating and cooling was totally attributed to my new GE Hybrid Hot Water Heater.

While I BELIEVE that much of the savings is due to the new heater, I have gone back and searched thru Quicken expenditures and now realize I had changed some other areas in an attempt to reduce my electric costs.

As an example, I replaced all of the 50 Watt Halogen bulbs in my kitchen and den with 4 Watt LED bulbs. In my kitchen alone, I have nine bulbs that are on for 3 hours every morning and probably 4 hours in the evening.

Changing just those bulbs results in a monthly reduction of electric usage of 9 X (50-4) X .137 X 30 = $17

So of that $50 a month savings that I ascribed to reduced hot water heating, at least $17 is actually likely due to bulb replacement.

I still think that hybrid hot water heater was a great investment absent having NG available, but I thank Mike for getting me to revisit the actual savings!

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

IâÂÂm not convinced of the savings claimed by the manufacturers of âÂÂHybridâ heat pump water heaters.

LetâÂÂs say about 1/3 of the energy for heat pump hot water heating comes from electrical power to run the compression cycle, assuming no backup electric elements are used. Then the rest of the energy comes from whatever your energy source is for heating the house during heating season as this heat is transferred out of the air into the tank. In your case the rest of the energy would be provided by your new Carrier HP & oil furnace.

A true energy savings might happen when space heating is not required and particularly when air-conditioning is. This thing is working against your heating system during heating season just as your refrigerator is working against your A/C during air-conditioning season.

If this is not so, what am I missing?

SR

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This has been discussed at some length here before. The Hybrid heater in my basement is a VERY small heat pump. If no hot water demand exists, any heat removed from the air is returned to the air thru the walls of the heater. The only result is a very slight humidification of the basement. There is no net cooling or heating of the air.

If there is an actual hot water demand, heat is in fact transferred from the basement air to replace the heat carried out of the basement by the hot water flowing out thru the copper pipes.

My basement has approximately 1000 Sq Ft. There has never been noted a temperature change due to the hybrid hot water heater. To put things in perspective, on a humid day the hot hybrid hot water heater might extract one or two quarts of water in a day. This is a VERY small help in curing a high humidity condition...

This post was edited by saltidawg on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 10:11