Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blue_jean_baby

GE, Whirlpool, or Kenmore?

blue_jean_baby
16 years ago

I'm doing my homework early - haven't bought a washer in 10 years and looks like there have been a lot of changes!

I currently have a GE Profile set, and have been really happy with them....but after 9 years the washer transmission took a dump and the repair guy did a lousy job. Still works but I can justify getting a new one .

So far I am liking the looks of the GE Profile, Whirlpool Cabrio, and Kenmore Elite/Elite Oasis.

Currently my search parameters are: Top Loader, NOT HE, and at LEAST a 3.5 capacity.

Some of the descripions say IEC - what is that? And I know agitators, but what is a washplate? How do they compare?

I'm sure I'll end up with more questions before I am done, but these will do to start with. Opinions please?

Dawn in So Cal

Comments (8)

• dadoes
    16 years ago

Any toploader with a wash plate is an HE machine, so those are eliminated from consideration by your requirement that the machine of choice NOT be HE.

There are Cabrio/Oasis/Bravos models with agitators.

You should also consider Fisher & Paykel.

• blue_jean_baby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And I thought it would say HE somewhere in the name! Good thing I asked - thanks for letting me know that!!

Which manufacturer is Bravos?

I'm not familiar with F & P - why do you like them?

Thanks.

Dawn

• washer_man
    16 years ago

Bravos is the Maytag branded version of Cabrio/Oasis. IEC is the European standard for rating front loaders. It's the actual volume multiplied by 15 and divided by 13. The reason they do this is because manufacturers claim that non agitator washers can wash more clothes than washers with agitators.

Why are you excluding HE washers from consideration. I would think that if you spend the money to buy a high end non HE top loader, for the same money why not get an HE version and save on water and energy?

• happymomof2kids
    16 years ago

The past two top loaders I have had have been Kenmores and the served me well enough, but they did require the occasional easy fix, so I switched to an HE to save water and energy.

Your best bet is to go to appliance websites (Sears, Bestbuy, etc.) and check out reviews of the washers you like. Once you have narrowed it down, you can do a web search of the appliance. For example, you might do a search of "Kenmore Elite washing machine reviews" and see if you get any hits. Then you read what other people think of them. A lot of bad reviews may mean it may not be that great of a product and you will know to look else where.

Also, factor in how easy is it to get replacement parts. I usually stick with name brand appliances like Whirlpool, Frigidaire, and Kenmore due to the fact it is easier to get replacement parts for those through Sears in my area. Warranties and replacement plans do not last forever if you get one and it's nice to have the option to be able to fix something yourself if you can.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

I'm not familiar with F & P - why do you like them?Fisher & Paykel is a NZ manufacturer that has been marketing their products (dishwashers & laundry, now a full range of kitchen appliances) in the U.S. since the mid 1990s. I've had F&P laundry appliances since 1999. F&P now has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., and the Oasis/Cabrio/Bravos are based on F&P, using the same drive motor and other elements of their design.

Sears PartsDirect carries F&P parts, and F&P washers are designed for easy service. The pump, for example, can be changed *without* needing any tools. F&P still offers a full two-year warranty.

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

I think the GE Profile is the Harmony renamed. I saw one at Lowe's yesterday and other than a different control panel, it's the same as my Harmony.
    Do you not want an HE because you're worried about not having enough water in the wash cycle? If so, I can tell you that with the Harmony it's never been a problem. I actually feel better about washing small loads because I know I'm not wasting a tub full of water. With the Harmony I do have the option of filling the tub completely, which I really don't use but it's nice to have. Having a washplate is also much better than an agitator. If frees up a lot of room in the tub so you can wash more clothes and larger items.
    So, my vote goes for the GE Profile. If it is indeed the same as the Harmony then I can vouch for my experience with the machine. If it blew up tomorrow, I'd go get another one.

• blue_jean_baby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess part of why I don't want an HE would be that I have Luddite tendencies and I want to choose water levels and so on and not have it done by the computer.....plus I've been reading the 'tiny mystery holes' thread and the HE machines/detergent/FL have been mentioned a lot in that thread. I have noticed a fair amount of posts that mention problems with HE machines, but maybe that's because they are what most posters here own.

I looked up the F&P - they do have two dealers in my area, Lowes and Midway (local business). Bummer that they (F&P)are moving to Mexico, and I see in the news that GE is considering putting Appliance Park on the market - getting hard to buy things made in America every day.(Even if the owners are overseas the workers are here, and that counts a lot for me)

I have been very happy with my GE Profile, and the customer service I got from them. There seem to be a lot of happy F&P owners, looking through the different threads.

I think, too, that the machines that have more bells and whistles seem to have more repair issues, so that is another part of the reason I'm trying to keep it simple - I can't afford that kind of headache.

Anyway, I'm learning a lot and having to do some thinking about whether my original parameters are reasonble or knee-jerk reactions to high tech stuff. Maybe I watched that cartoon (Donald Duck, I think) with the automated house once too often!!

Thanks All!

Dawn

• lulundave
    16 years ago

Dawn,
    I have the Cabrio with agitator. I am really pleased with it. It holds a large load, cleans well, spins clothing quite dry and allows you to set your own water level or let the computer set it for you. I have had mine for 13 months now and so far so good.
    I find this machine allows me to do less laundry as I only wash clothing 2x a week where I used to wash every other day.
    If you need any more info feel free to ask.