Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mag9977

Can this actually happen?

mag9977
12 years ago

I had a guy come in and clean my furance ducts since I moved in to this home in May and it is almost time to turn on the heat. The previous owners had a dog and we are not animal people so we thought it would be a good idea.

I had a coupon for all ducts cleaned and dryer vent for $55. I expected them to upsell me, which they did as soon as they walked in the door and I declined. When they were done cleaning he told me he saw mildew growing on the blades inside my furnace (which is in the attic). Of course that is a concern since I have a 4 year old. At that time I was not sure if he was upselling me or if it was the truth as he seemed like a "used car sales man". Anyway I told him I would have to look around and talk to my husband. He was pushing me to purchas this $700 service. I called a furance company (in secret) I have dealt with in the past as I had some trust in them and they said they have never heard of that before. They suggested I ask the guy to show me the mildew. I asked they guy to show me and he was shocked, I think he did not expect a girl to go in the attic. He then corrected himself and said the mildew was hard to see but he'd show me and there was a few small specs of white spots. He took his time and I actually couldnt get in the attic because he ladder was too short and was not strong enough to lift myself up.

So to make a long story short, is this normal? should I be worried? I did call a few other people and they said they ever heard of it, but of course for a small fee they could all look for me!

Comments (7)

• countryboymo
    12 years ago

I might possibly get it checked out in the process of a 'wellness' check of the system. It sounds like someone trying to scam you. I would NOT have a service call just for this.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Absolutely agree with above post.

How old is furnace and when was it last serviced? If you don't know, you need to find out.

On next PM service call, make certain evap coil and blower motor are inspected.

How is return air filtered? With a whole house air filter cabinet or perhaps 1" filters on central return(s)?

#1 service that a homeowner can do and should do is change sir filters on the correct schedule.

Post back.

IMO

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

I almost hate to ask...but what did they clean your ducts with, and what kind of ductwork do you have?

it sounds to me as if they cleaned the ducts but
    not the equipment.

ask the hvac company that you trust to take some pics to show you.
    you have to realize that for $55 they have to sell you something.

best of luck.

• mag9977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the house is 5 years old, and I am only going to assume it has never been serviced. The filter is in the return and I have 1 return for 3300sq foot home (strange thing is our other house has 2 returns for 1900 sq feet). I am a filter changer by nature however I do not think the previous owner was.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Mag

Think about this for a moment.

How can a company come to your home and clean your ductwork and dryer vent for $55?

How many people and how long were they at your home?

This was nothing but a scam.

IMO

• mag9977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There was a family of 4 for 5 years, now us, a family of 3. Like I said I think its a scam I expected to be upsold since it was cheap which they did try, then when I didnt fall for that they tried the M-word on me. I am lucky I did not fall for it but he still has me thinking. Thanks everyone!

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Mag

How old is furnace and when was it last serviced? If you don't know, you need to find out.

On next PM service call, make certain evap coil and blower motor are inspected.

How is return air filtered? With a whole house air filter cabinet or perhaps 1" filters on central return(s)?

#1 service that a homeowner can do and should do is change sir filters on the correct schedule.

Post back.