Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccintx

Want input on efficiency of g-shape kitchen w sink windows

ccintx
13 years ago

I've been lurking on here for a while now, and have learned so much from everyone! I am in the process of designing a floor plan for a small house I hope to build soon. I'm very unsure of designing a kitchen, since I've never been much of a cook. : ) But, I'd like your wonderful input on how best to design an efficient, small kitchen in the space I have.

I will have 3 windows over the sink (my must-have). The kitchen is 11 1/2 X 13 feet. The dining area is across from the kitchen. When you exit the kitchen, you will go right, to the hall to the laundry, or left, to the opening to the living area. There is a picture of the tentative floorplan of the entire house in the album also. I used the IKEA tool to visualize the kitchen, but I won't be using their cabinets. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the photo link posted correctly.

Right now, I'm mainly concerned with getting the zones and triangle and efficiency the best it can be. I don't really know about the finishing touches yet (cabinet colors, countertops, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: G-shaped kitchen floorplan

Comments (8)

• sparky1981
    13 years ago

I like the layout. I am putting my pantry next to the fridge too. only thing I dont understand is why the bottom cabinets are at an angle

• michiganrachel
    13 years ago

I am not a layout expert at all. In the kitchen, it does look like you have room to make the peninsula area perpendicular to the rest of the cabinets instead of angled (bringing the length of cabinets along the wall out a little further).

However, in looking at your house floor plan, I do have a comment about that. Your second and third bedrooms and closets are relatively small, yet you have that window seat area. It seems like that space could be better used in a few ways. You could:
    - make the bedrooms both several feet bigger, which would also enable the closets to be a little bugger
    - make your hall bath bigger with room for a double vanity
    Just a thought!

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

The house isn't built yet, and we don't even know if the OP has children. So why is michiganrachel concerned about the size of the closets for the little buggers?

• ccintx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sparky,

About the angled cabinets, I was trying to simulate an angled raised eating bar, with counter space on the side of the cabinet/bar that is inside the kitchen area, similar to the photo I just added.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angled kitchen bar

• bh401
    13 years ago

The main thing I saw that could be an issue is-Does your DW have room to open? It looks like the cabinet by the fridge sticks out past the DW and add to that hardware- means you won't be able to open the DW. It will hit that cabinet.

• ccintx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bh401,

My drawing is just roughed in, so I'm hoping the architect will make sure I have the dimensions accurate when he draws the plans. I will make sure to call that to his attention, so thanks for your input.

• ccintx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michiganrachel,

Thanks for your input. And yes, that useless window seat space (as my sister calls it also! LOL) is a must-have for me. : ) I want to be able to look out at my colt pasture and check on the horses in that pasture, and be able to sit in the window and watch, and have coffee, wine, etc. It's just a quirky little useless area that I really want. It also, creates a little open-ness on that side of the house. I agree, the bedrooms are smallish, but I don't have any kids and I really only needed one extra bedroom. Thanks again.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think the angled bar works in the inspiration pic because there is no wall behind it, so to speak. Yours would make a tight dead end back there. I'd rather see it follow the wall further and come out (or not) at a right angle.