Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Shabby Chic Bedroom Pink

judydel
14 years ago

My 15 year old daughter and I are redecorating her room. She has picked out furniture from this cool antique shabby chic website called www.foreverpinkcottagechic.com. I'm posting photos of the furniture below. The bed, night stand, vanity and floor mirror are all antique white (with no distressing at my daughter's request). The dresser is mint green. (In the photo the bed is pink, but we had it repainted white). All of the pieces are from the 1920's and 1930's.

The floors in the room are a light oak. And we are trying to find the perfect shade of pink for the walls. It should be a "grown up pink" naturally. The room is south facing and only 12' x 12'. Not too mauve. Not too peach. Not too light because of being a south facing room.

Suggestions, especially with photos, are very much appreciated. The floors are being installed on Monday and the furniture is arriving this weekend! So we need to get painting : ) So exciting!!!

Comments (28)

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I had another post asking about pink walls recently and some beautiful pink rooms were posted - just search "pink" and "paint" on this forum.

This is a photo of designer Phoebe Howard's pink room that I have saved. I believe the paint is Sherwin Williams White Dogwood (saw that posted somewhere but haven't tried the paint myself).

{{gwi:1541001}}

{{gwi:1541002}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I was going to suggest the same pink! Love that room! Notice the gray on the ceiling?

• architecture
    14 years ago

I think your bed needs some more improvement about color of down pillows and down comforters. I would suggest off white down pillows and down comforters which will suitable with your wall color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Down Comforters And Down Pillows

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

architecture as my post explained the bed will be antique white. That is the bed in the showroom before we had it repainted. It sure sounds like you may just be pushing that website. I hope you realize that you can not try to sell your stuff on this forum. We get very unhappy with spammers.

Meg & Judd thanks for the suggestion. My DD and I saw those photos and she thought the first photo looked too lavender and the second photo too peachy. And it's the same room!!! So that's why we thought we'd keep looking. Pretty room though, and no, I hadn't noticed the gray ceiling. Interesting!

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

architecture as my post explained the bed will be antique white. That is the bed in the showroom before we had it repainted. It sure sounds like you may just be pushing that website. I hope you realize that you can not try to sell your stuff on this forum. We get very unhappy with spammers.

Meg & Judd thanks for the suggestion. My DD and I saw those photos and she thought the first photo looked too lavender and the second photo too peachy. And it's the same room!!! So that's why we thought we'd keep looking. Pretty room though, and no, I hadn't noticed the gray ceiling. Interesting!

• tfm1134
    14 years ago

I used Behr Primrose Bouquet in my old spare bedroom that was shabby chic and it was perfect!

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Let's see - headed to paint store at lunch.

SW White Dogwood - "Check".

What a beautiful room and yes that ceiling w/ the pink is TDF!

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

What pretty pieces. I'm also in the process of redoing my DD's room--also using vintage furniture only I'm procurring them myself on CL--and may possibly repaint them--right now they are seafoam. Do you know what shade of antique white was used for your DD's furniture?

• User
    14 years ago

What a lucky girl, that furniture is beautiful. Is the bedding going to have any pink in it? If so, maybe you can/should have a pink from the bedding color matched. I love that bed and think it's a good call to have it painted white. Are you bringing in any other colors as well or just using pinks and white?

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

TFM, that primrose pink looks lovely from what I can tell. Do you have any photos of your guest room?

And I searched for more pictures of the white dogwood and found a third photo, again different from the other two! I guess it's one of those colors that totally changes depending on the lighting. I think I like it!

Lukkiirish the chest is mint green. It's hard to get a read on the color from the photo, but it looks very pastel. I hope we like it. So anyway, her room will be pink, antique white, with some green. She loves retro vintage clothing from the 30's - 40's. So she plans on having hat boxes and pretty hats displayed, vintage brooches, hat pins, gloves, antique perfume bottles, etc. She asked for retro clothing for Christmas from the 30's-40's so she's on her way to developing her new wardrobe. She's also a serious ballet student and is on her way to hopefully becoming a professional ballet dancer. We live in CT and I drive her to NYC so she can study with a great ballet teacher. It's 2 hours each way!

I'll consider what you said about the bedding and matching up the pinks.

Val they didn't say what paint they used. They just call in antique white. I bought all of these pieces over the internet. Lindsay, the young lady that I worked with was wonderful. I'm sure we'll just love everything and can't wait for delivery this weekend!

• User
    14 years ago

Judy, it sounds beautiful. On my screen the chest doesn't read green but I don't think there is a more perfect color to go with pink, sounds beautiful. I wouldn't worry too much about them using the right green, especially if these people specialize in the Shabby Chic, they probably nailed it! Love the retro idea it's different and fun something I'm sure she'll always remember. It's amazing about your daughter's ambitions and great you're so supportive of her dreams, it sounds like she's a very grounded young woman. Please don't forget to update us on the outcome of the furniture delivery, fingers are crossed it's exactly what you wanted. Lukki :c)

• ttodd
    14 years ago

For anyone interested in that pink room, I just found out that the ceiling color of that Phoebe Howard bedroom is Edgecomb Gray and the trim is Atrium White.

Hmmmmmm.....Our MBR is being painted Edgecomb Gray and our daughters room needs done.

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought a can of White Dogwood today. The chip looks perfect! I've enlisted the help of my 18 year old DS. With any luck at all he'll have the room painted for us by the weekend : )

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Edgecomb Gray? Really? The exterior of my house is Edgecomb and it is a light creamy color bordering on white. Not as dark or as gray as the ceiling in that picture. Hmmm?
    Here is an article on the sweet story behind the pink bedroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Power of Pink

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you think this is the right direction for my DD bedding and curtains? I do love this look but wonder if it will end up looking too little girl. Going with all white linen may be too much upkeep though.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Personally, I love the Simply Shabby Chic bedding at Target. I think that might grow with your DD a little more as it is a little more sophisticated than some of the girl's bedding that is out there. I have a 14 y.o. DD, and I understand the disappointment in trying to find something that is suitable for the teen girl that is not too little girly or frumpy. I also think the Shabby bedding at Target would be perfect with the new furniture!

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply Shabby Chic

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

judydel, I think that bedding with plain white curtains would be fine. To me the matchy curtains do push it a bit towards cupcake, but the bedding itself is very nice. I'd be happy with it myself. :)

• polly929
    14 years ago

I have a similar type of room for my daughters. I still have not gotten around to posting pics. I was going to recommend the color Blush by BM, but I see you've already bought White dogwood.
    I LOVE the curved foot board on that bed. I scoured craigslist and ebay for months looking for two, but could only find one.
    Just a word of warning, the Shabby Chic bedding from Target is such a pain to iron after washed. It comes out VERY wrinkled after washing and it looks awful if you don't iron it.
    I'll also second the vote for plain white curtains. I used white tulle panels from IKEA, and they make the windows glow in the sunlight.

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

writersblock and polly so glad you also feel the above bedding but with plain white curtains would be best. That's what I've been thinking also. The white tulle sounds lovely or maybe eyelet, or maybe dotted swiss.

kms we considered the Target bedding . . . it would sure save me a few bucks. But DD just doesn't like it. She really knows what she likes! It's really interesting . . . I never had such opinions at her age. She really is an "old soul" and actually does her fair share of mothering me at times.

polly we just adore beds with curved footboards!! We never even knew about them until we found the website I mentioned before (foreverpinkcottagechic.com) We actually wanted a twin bed but couldn't find one with that look . . . so we decided to get the full bed.

Today we also decided we're going to get a crystal chandy to complete the look! It should be stunning since it is a south facing room and the rainbows will be incredible. We never had a ceiling fixture in that room so we'll have to run wires. I'm just not sure where to hang it. If we do it centered in the room close to the ceiling then the sun may not hit it. If we hang it too low it may bonk heads? I wonder if we should plan on hanging it over the vanity area on the window side of the room? Or if that really limits furniture placement then?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

If you don't want to hardwire it, the old chandelier-on-a-birdcage-stand trick still works:

Here is a link that might be useful: poor pic, but the first that came up

• tfm1134
    14 years ago

Judy, I am sure I have a pic or 2 on my home computer and will check for you tonight.

• User
    14 years ago

Love the bedding, it's feminine and girlie, but isn't that what Shabby Chic is, feminine and girlie. I'd go for it, but agree it may be too much to have it on the drapes too. Another alternative would be something with both the pink and green in it.

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Having the chandy on a cool vintage stand would be awesome!!!! Gives me something else to hunt down : )

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe I'll buy a chandy that plugs in and run the satin covered wire up the wall and then hang the chandy from a ceiling hook? Or maybe plug it in and then hang it from a pretty iron wall bracket? I'd love to see photos of non hard wired chandeliers.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Well, my absolute favorite chandelier resource is Sheri. Very reasonably priced, and she'll do whatever you want. Scroll through her Sold Chandeliers to get an idea of what she can do. Almost all of them can be done either swagged or hard wired. She's also on etsy, and nobody else there has prices or work as nice as hers (I've only bought wind chimes from her so far, but for sure a couple of her lights are on the list for my redo.)

Remember that a wall bracket would need to be pretty big to be wide enough and then pretty hefty to support the weight of a chandelier, which is why the cage stands got popular. They have the added plus that you can move the chandy around to catch the light as the sun moves at different times of the year.

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

I've been looking for a duvet cover to replace my old Tommy Hilfiger one, one side was teal with big pink cabbage roses. It got torn and then ripped up, well it was only 18 years old! But it worked with so many other things that I gradually acquired.

I have been wanting to paint the walls a grown-up pink for a long time (not 18 years, but five at least). I'm talking about the master bedroom, so I need to balance it with some masculine touches at least.

I have a pink velvet shell chair, a brass floor lamp, off-white ceramic side lamps, a patterned rug, a large tropical plant. Wood furniture is kind of Danish looking, stained not painted. I don't want to paint it. I have plain linen colored panels, would a plain dark brown quilt look okay on the bed?

What do you think of the idea of hanging a small chandy over a windowseat with a cushion? I want to layer the curtains or paint out the windowseat, it's between two closets with mirrored doors that look like windows.

I guess in this case, the ceiling would need to be more of a dove gray, or brown, or ??? Any suggestions? Thank you.

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

thanks, always1stepbehind (me too, lol), sorry for the sidetrack!