Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjca

Pillow for Neck Pain?

sjerin
11 years ago

My dh has a stiff neck much of the time right now and I think it's from his pillow situation--too thin and hard. However, he is a man of habit and is reluctant to think he might need a new pillow. :) I use a ridiculously expensive foam one that cured my neck pain, but he swears it doesn't help him. A massage yesterday helped very much, but by this morning he had the "crick" again. But it's not about the pillow! Ugh. Anyway, I think he might be a tiny bit open to trying something different, probably because the masseuse suggested it. Any thoughts?

Comments (16)

• workoutlady
    11 years ago

If tghe masseuse suggested it possibly she could suggest a type. Also, if he is hung up on his flat pillow, perhaps he could keep his pillow for under his back or some type support. No suggestions for a type of pillow. He should really go with to "try" some out.

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

I had severe neck problems and the chiropractor recommended a foam contour pillow. It was a Tempur-pedic. They are expensive....$90.00. It worked for me. No more neck pain. The Tempur pedic pillow lasted about five years and then lost its elasticity. I bought a foam contour pillow at Costco for $25.00 and it works just as well. No more neck pain. It does take getting use to. I would recommend the Costco one particularly because your husband may not stick with it. I know my husband wouldn't use it at all, so I have one in reserve for me.

• carol_in_california
    11 years ago

I have a buckwheat hull pillow I got in Japan and it is the best thing ever for neck pain.
    I have two small ones....and always travel with both of them.
    One is just a little more full than the other one. I use the smaller one for sleep and the more full one for reading.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buckwheat pillow- aka Sobakawa

• sjerin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Georgysmom, that is the exact one the masseuse recommended--it's nice to know it worked for you and it's very nice to know about the costco one. Did it make your head hot?

And yes, scissors, I will keep his dear(??) old pillows in case the experiment is a bust. Thank you, ladies.

• sjerin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Carol--I guess we typed at the same time. I will look into that one as well!

• carol_in_california
    11 years ago

I also have the Costco temperapedic type pillow and I don't like it nearly as well as the buckwheat hull ones.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Have your DH take a towel (you can experiment with different size towels) and roll it. Secure it with rubber bands so it won't unroll and slip it into the edge of his existing pillow. The towel portion should fit comfortably in the crook of his neck while is head rests on the rest of the pillow. Because his pillow is already pretty flat, the towel will probably have to be fairly small. If you need a photo of this setup let me know and I'll fix up a pillow and take a pic. It takes about two minutes to do it.

I personally use a special orthopedic pillow that cost me $50 through my Chiropractor's office. It is similar to the one I've linked to below. The Amazon price is pretty good.

This pillow has made a huge difference for me and my chiropractor lost my business because of it.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Ortho pillow

• nanny98
    11 years ago

Some time ago, I started using a neck roll for a pillow. I had been used to a very flat pillow, but found that the neck roll kept my spine, neck and head in alinement. The contour therma pillow just tipped the top of my head enough to be uncomfortable. I think it depends on if you sleep on side or back....keeping the alinement is what helps.....I think. (seems like 'alinement' is spelled wrong...sorry brain not working well)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I used a neck roll pillow for a long time then on advice from my chiropractor I got a memory foam moulded pillow like the ones mentioned, I got mine at bed bath and beyond for around $30 it looks and feels just like the neck pillow by tempur pedic but cheaper. It's worked out well and I sleep so much better with much less tossing and turning. I was very surprised. I sleep very hot, no covers, but that pillow was no different than my regular pillow as to heat. I do keep a zip on antibacterial cover on it.

They had the sobakawa buckwheat pillows but the noise factor would bother me, a friend of mine used one and I tried it,
    not for me but he loved it.

Just be sure not to use the pillows with the little beads in them they have been known to cause neck problems.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

The only pillows I can sleep well with are fairly firm feather /down. They support me while molding to me at the same time. Hate hate the foam pillows. My husband sprung for one of those molded models some time ago and ended up retiring it after a few weeks.

• threejs
    11 years ago

These are my lifesavers, there are many out there some good some not so good, myself, I need the firmest one I can get. I must have one to get any sleep at all. I sleep on either side, so it supports my neck, when on your back for me it doesn't seem very comfortable, but for others it may be just fine. I have one in every room of the house, and cottage. They are fairly inexpensive and I have also made a few of my own with different fillers. Easy peasy to make.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dogbone pillows

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I never go anywhere without my temperpedic pillow, it's the BEST!!!

• sjerin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After reading through this thread he ended up ordering the tri-core pillow. We shall see if the neck pain resolves, and it's nice to know there are other possibilities out there if it doesn't. Thanks everyone, again.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Sjerin, since that is the pillow I use, I want to mention that each side and edge of the pillow offers a different experience. One side is deeper, one edge is wider, etc. Once he finds the side and edge he likes, mark it with some tape or pin a ribbon on it or something.

• PRO
    Nate Day
    6 years ago

I have herniated discs in my neck and am also a side/stomach sleeper, which can cause my pain to flare up. I use a tempurpedic (sp?) contour pillow and force myself to sleep on my back when I have pain.

Is you a side or stomach sleeper? When you sleep on your stomach, your head is turned to the side for most of the night and that alone can probably cause some issues. I also have a giant U-shaped pillow that I use sometimes and I find it forces me to stay on my side during the night if I position the pillows correctly when I fall asleep.

Here useful cozzy review

• lucillle
    6 years ago

It might be the pillow situation, but if it worsens perhaps a trip to the doctor might be worthwhile to rule out other possible causes.