Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamoomorgan

Is LG really that bad?

mamoomorgan
17 years ago

We live in a rural area and don't have a ton of retail options. In talking to our local store he reccomended the LG as the best fl system around (and they sell quite a few brands). We're in Canada and he says LG is the only company with a warranty longer than a year. I saw the thread "why I would never buy an LG again" and felt convinced to not even look at them but now I'm wondering.

Input?

TIA,

Morgan.

Comments (23)

• oneplustwins
    17 years ago

No problems with my LG.

• applemac
    17 years ago

Ditto: No problems with my LG.

• blazinlo
    17 years ago

Ditto... no probs w/ my LG washer (WM0642HW from bestbuy)

• ebear1271
    17 years ago

I don't have an LG washer/dryer but their dishwasher is great!

• appmy
    17 years ago

Check to make sure service is available if you need it. Other than that they are fine machines.

• feetr2c
    17 years ago

I would buy another LG in a heartbeat. Love my WM2077 washer and DLE3777 dryer.

• catluvr
    17 years ago

Same here! :)

• HerringboneD28
    17 years ago

Ditto on the WM2077.

• washininct
    17 years ago

ok...guess I am in the minority around here!!! I had a NIGHTMARE with my LG. Had a BAD mold problem and I did everything correctly as confirmed by 3 different service guys!!!! To be fair, the nightmare part (other than the nasty mold that I am REALLY allergic too) was really from best buy and their extended warranty....has a huge hastle trying to get my unit replaced with something new. But in anycase....my advice and only from that one experience and lots of research subsequently, is to stay away from FL machines. Although I can say through this forum it appears that FL can be great a mold free.....but there are also many many complaints of mold..so who knows what the real deal is?!?! Good luck in what ever you choose....I can definitely relate to the total confusion about them all!

• peteski50
    17 years ago

I like my LG 3677 combo. But the service is poor. I would check in your area how many people do fix these machines. Than make a decision.
    Peter

• bonny_doon
    17 years ago

I have been happy with my LG washer (WM0532HW). I have had an LG dishwasher longer than my washer. Needed service on the dishwasher once when we first bought it. The man came out the same day. We talked about washers when he was here. He gave me his card and said if I needed anything to call him directly from now on.
    I think it depends on where you live as peteski50 said. Love both my washer and dishwasher.

• oneplustwins
    17 years ago

I agree with bonny-doon. I think the service issues may be better or worse depending on where you live. I have an LG fridge under warranty that had a problem with the icemaker. The LG tech came promptly after I called and replaced the icemaker and then adjusted the flow of water into the fridge to make sure it didn't happen again.

• sr712
    17 years ago

We bought an LG washer/dryer combo from Home Depot in July. (They were running the 10% off appliances sale then, with delivery rebate) They are the Tromm WM2688HVM 4.0 FL SteamWasher and the DLG8388WM 7.3 CuFt. Gas Dryer. We got a pretty good deal from Home Depot, and had to wait for 2 weeks for the washer, because there weren't any in the country at the time. We have been very pleased with both of them. No problems, yet, so we don't have any idea of how good service is. We did buy the extended warranty on the washer.

Clothes come out very nice. We are now using the Sears line of powdered detergents after using a few bottles of liquid HE Tide. It was too expensive, and we seemed to go through it way too fast. (Maybe it was because we were washing anything we could get our hands on. It is fun to watch.) The washer has lots of cycle variations, which include a "Water Plus" button. It uses a little more water per cycle, and helps out on stained laundry. I thought the washer had a bad bearing when we first bought it, but then realized the noise that I was hearing was from the little rollers in the drum. The "Steam Laundry" option does a nice job on stains and such. The "Steam" freshen cycle does also work, taking wrinkled clothes and, well, unwrinkling them.

The washer sits on ceramic tile over cementboard on the first floor, so it is very stable. Vibration was kind of excessive, the door shaked, even after leveling the unit, until I tweaked the adjustment while spinning. It seems fine now. (The Home Depot Installer guys said "If it doesn't wobble, then it's level. HaHa. Someone should send them to school.) We have had no mold or mildew issues with it. We keep the door open after unloading, anyway.

The gas dryer is wonderful. It takes such a short time to dry the clothes, my wife and I are always surprised when the end of cycle signal sounds. The clothes come out fluffy and nice. I love gas. We used to wait for the dryer, now we wait for the washer.

We also purchased the Remote Laundry Monitor from an online vendor. This works well... you can see exactly how much time is left on either the washer or dryer, and it has an end of cycle signal also. Vey handy.

All in all, the LGs have been fine. Haven't needed any repairs. Seem very vell built. Solid. Decent price at Home Depot. The kids fight to do their laundry now, because it's fun. How can I complain?

• Lisa
    17 years ago

I'll chime in that I love my LG Tromm washer and dryer as well. Doing the laundry has been absolutely delightful. We, too, have been amazed at how quickly the dryer gets clothes dry. I had attributed it solely to the dryer, but the comment about it being a GAS dryer interests me. We previously had an electric, so this is our first gas dryer. Maybe that's part of the great drying time?

Either way, I am extremely pleased with our purchase. I literally smile every time I go in the laundry room now. How sick is that? LOL

• HerringboneD28
    17 years ago

You can also attribute your shorter dryer time to the spin cycle on the washer. It spins the water out much better than older model top loaders.

• mark_fleming
    17 years ago

I've had my LG washer and dryer for almost a year. I'm using Sears detergent that was on sale. A $15 bucket will last more than a year. I love LG and my water bill is just about half what it was before.

A word about several complaints about mold in the LG (and other brands) washing machine. Mold needs moisture and food. There's alway going to be some moisture left in the washer, but to form actual mold or off smells, that means that there is a food source, either from the clothing or from the water itself. Since we all put in dirty clothing, and only a few have mold problems, that indicates that the mold is likely a water quality issue. If it even happens after using the sanitary cycle, then it's the water. I'd have my water tested if clean rinse water in the washing machine smelled funky after a day or two.

Mark

• myclementine
    17 years ago

Love my LG washer! I haven't had any problems.
    I leave the door open at all times except when washing of course. But I am scared of the mold I have read on here so door stays open.
    I haven't needed service on it yet (knock on wood)
    But we have had Kenmore appliances in the past and trying to get Sears to service them was a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So for people to complain about LG it may be the same as with other service people as well.

• susanlynn2012
    17 years ago

So it seems some poeple love their LG dishwashers which is good. I have an LG service center near me so I felt comfortable buying the LG refrigerator. I wouldn't have bought it if there was not an LG Service center close to me after reading posts.

• peteski50
    17 years ago

It's not that LG appliances are bad, it is just that the service SUX. I have long winded postings under LG service nightmare. If you do buy a LG appliance make sure you are going to get the service in your area before doing so. Believe me Life is Not so good with LG.
    Peter

• weedly
    17 years ago

I have an LG 1800 watt canister vacuum. All I can say about that appliance is that it really, truly sucks.

(snare drum rim shot here) :)

• telly1010
    17 years ago

My understanding is that their products are fine. The problem is that they do not have a good service network yet. So as long as the you don't get a lemon, or have a problem, you're fine. It's just that the odds are taht someone will need service, and that's where the trouble begins. (We ran into the same thing with a big screen Samsung TV)

• weedly
    17 years ago

(We ran into the same thing with a big screen Samsung TV)

Honestly, though, big screen TVs and washers and dryers are apples and oranges. A big screen TV has no moving parts, when it fails, they replace it.

A washer and dryer has parts that can be replaced to keep the machine in operation.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't call a big screen TV a "machine". It is a "device".

Now a DVD player, on the other hand, has mechanical movements. Still, most DVD players are not worth repairing if they fail. Throw it away, get a new one.

• patmaloy
    13 years ago

I love my 5 year old LG washer/dryer combo. It does an excellent job of cleaning and drys thick towels with no problem. It uses a condenser for drying and doesn't require a vent, so it doesn't pump volumes of heated or cooled air from my house. The LG is very easy on the clothes. There are some things I've learned about using these Combo washer dryers (my third one): 1.) Remove permanent press clothes while still damp and hang them up in the bathroom to finish drying. 2.) Dry the door gasket and leave the detergent dispenser drawer open when not using the machine (prevents mold). 3.) Clean the filter on a regular basis. The LG hasn't broken so I can't say anything about LG service. I'm single so I do four or five loads a week. I don't think this machine would be large enough for a family of 4 or more.