Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westsider40

Terried- gc contract, hourly? complicated?

westsider40
14 years ago

I met with a gc a couple of days ago for a kitchen remodel. He is very nice, intelligent, has references, altho still unchecked, and was recommended by the custom cab maker. He and the cab maker have worked on many jobs together. He spent more than three hours in my house. The cab maker was recommended by a gw-er who built a gorgeous, big house in a nearby suburb-and he did all the cabs in her house. Photos of beautiful cabs. I'm confident that cabs would be great. So far, so good.

I am terrified of screwing up. I'm hyperventilating, having palpitations. I am a retired paralegal and know the importance of a 'proper' contract and b/c of this and some underlying angst, I don't want to mess up. Old professionalism, I suppose. I've read posts about contracts, liens, horror tales, multi$$$ losses, fraud, fee based, etc., and I don't want to learn about this. I feel it would take me months to do a good job in analyzing a contract. Dh and ds are both lawyers but I cannot bother them with this. Too busy and not their specialties. Dh says just get it done-he doesn't care one whit about any kitchen decision. I understand. In my head, keep repeating, I know that you don't have to be a paralegal to get a new kitchen.

The gc said he charges by the hour and he showed me a sample contract which consisted of about seven typed lines. I laughingly said I'd like a longer contract. Even if it would be more hours than he would estimate, it would still be fine, reasonable (I hope).

I am so tempted to just go to the upscale, expensive kitchen store (brick/mortar)and not be responsible.

Dh and I are very frugal. We love the thrill of the deal, are good shoppers and it would bother me A LOT to pay 10-15k more than necessary. But I can do it, I just don't want to. But I can't stand this anxiety and fear,

Hourly for a GC? Or just go to the kitchen store and buy a kitchen?

Comments (6)

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

Why do you think you need a GC? Are you moving walls, plumbing? I have a friend (smart girl) who acted as her own GC on a whole house addition. . . beautiful and no problems. If you are comfortable with your cabinet maker, could you find a plumber you like, and an electrician . . . and maybe a kitchen designer. As long as you are not moving walls, etc. I would be very very comfortable, as long as you are comfortable.

• plumeriavine
    14 years ago

Be afraid, be very afraid. Had I paid hourly for our kitchen remodel, I would have paid for the bumbling gc crew to redo the electrical several times due to crummy workmanship until finally the gc called in real electricians who demolished everything and started over.
    Some questions to ask of your brief contract - - is there a start and stop date? Lien notice for consumers? License number? Does it cover everything you expect done? Undercabinet lighting? Brand? Number of lights? What about overhead lighting? Recessed cans? Quantity? Brand? Does it meet the new energy codes? How about electrical circuits? How many? Where? Do you need dedicated circuits for a fridge? dishwasher? garbage disposal? Are permits covered by the gc? Does he shun the idea of inspections and promise to do everything "to code" but suggests skipping permits?

Go slow. Collect data. You'll be glad in the long run. Ultimately, if these guys are determined to cheat you, they will - -despite being handsome, intelligent, polite, or knowledgable.

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

I have a gc. I have a contract that is very specific.

There is a payment schedule that lists the job and what the amount is. For example, a payment of 1,119.88 is due when the new rough HVAC work is completed as described in the attached preliminary prposal and has passed a rough inspection by county inspectors.

There is a warranty section

There is a description section. The description for the above HVAC work is: 1. Install new gas line (propane) to supply gas to new cooktop location as shown in drawing. 2. Install and connect new kitchen gas cooktop 3. Install new ductwork to vent new cooktop vent hood to the outside as required by code. 4. install and connect new cooktop vent hood. 5. Rework existing HVAC supply ductwork as needed to accomodate kitchen floor plan changes as shown in drawing. HVAC LAbor and Materials = $1,145.32. (I just noticed the numbers are different, lol)

The point is that my contract has a detailed payment plan, scheduled inspections, and detailed work description with a price for each subsection.

He also gave me copies of his insurance certificate and all that kind of stuff. He and his partner are the main workers, but they use subs for the stuff that is specific like HVAC, roofing, etc. They are wonderful contractors, and I've had not one problem.

Be wary of anyone that wants to do work for you without detailed contract. That's my thoughts! HTH.
    Lisa

• sue36
    14 years ago

Have an attorney draft the contract. It's really not a big deal. Many states require a signed contract for this type of work, and 7 lines doesn't cut it. The safest thing to do is pick our EVERYTHING for the kitchen and get a fixed price from the GC.

I don't intend to be mean, but if the *idea* of starting this job is making you physically ill then there is no way you can handle GCing yourself.

I would never pay someone by the hour that I didn't know well and have previous dealings with.

• User
    14 years ago

I understand wanting to be frugal especially in these economic times and really it would be difficult for anyone in the forum to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. A lot of people do their own contracting, but in tough situations they usually have a spouse or significant other that they can turn to to help them with the tougher decisions or at least to bounce ideas off of. It seems that maybe part of the angst your feeling is because your DH has already told you he doesn't want to be involved and you'd be on your own. If that's the case your apprehension is understandable; so I hope you don't feel badly for feeling the way you do. I think you need to ask yourself if the savings of 10-15% is really worth all the angst and fear that you seem to be experiencing. That kind of stress can really affect ones health and sanity. I had a similar situation in that DH was way too busy & DD had no interest. In the end, for me personally, it was worth spending a little extra. I was able to bounce ideas off of the contractor I hired and he was really helpful with the process.

• westsider40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thank each of you so very much.

I have gc-ed all past projects- 2.5 baths to the studs, family room, renovating an old nasty cottage, etc. but I am too old now. Five years ago, piece of cake. As I was typing my post, the answer became clearer.

My neighbors and bf used this kitchen store, without a second thought. What possesses me that I think I have to squeeze every nickel? Not for this kitchen. Cheap about a few things, but not about most others. Partly, it's a game.

I trust this store. I won't have to scrutinize or sweat over the contract. Hopefully, they'll be in business for a long time, while who knows about an independent home-based gc. It was my first experience with a gc and the 'hourly' bit got me in the gut. The short contract looked stupid.

Thank you for sharing the specifics of what this contract should have.

Athensmom, you and I share the same thoughts. There are no structural/plumbing changes and the planned layout is pretty good. Save for the trash, I have worked out almost all glitches, done my homework. So since I have done all this planning, why get a gc? Because I doubt my ability to choreograph this-As confident and happy as I was in the past, I'm not now.

Again, thank all of your for caring, posting, and giving me insightful, valuable info.