Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janice742

Fabric for chair - part 2

Janice742
11 years ago

Back to the drawing board with my office chair.

For starters - you should know that I like to mix styles - traditional with a pop of modern... that sort of thing.

My office definitely has a more modern feel - with the wallpaper. I've always loved these french-inspired fabrics. The particular one has all the colors of the wallpaper - the rust and gold especially.

I would cover the side/back of the chair in a coordinating fabric - most likely a solid; maybe a shad of blue velvet.

Not sure if I would keep the nailhead trim - or change it out for contrasting welting (same color as the back???)

I had posted

Comments (16)

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

close up

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

side view

• pamghatten
    11 years ago

Sorry, but I just don't see it ... the wallpaper is gorgeous and bright, the white paint below is very crisp and great with the wallpaper. The fabric looks muddy against it .. sorry ...

• chispa
    11 years ago

I agree with Pamghatten. Maybe it looks better in person, but it looks blah on my monitor.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

What about a gold or blue toile for that traditional element? It would look great against your wainscoting. Or even a blue script fabric in the right shade?

{{!gwi}}

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm. You are probably right with it being too blah.

I had purchased the fabric for seat cushions for my dining room - and I started to second guess the choice. That's why I have the yardage.

I do like the toile. Time to search again!

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I love the fabric you picked, but honestly, not for the chair. What about the darker blue, maybe even velvet?

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I like the idea of a velvet!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I think both the wallpaper and the fabric are great, but not together.

What about a strong stripe, like these from Sunbrella?

Something bold, in the colors of the wallpaper:

Or something more subtle:

Or something big and subtle:

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I love that wallpaper!

I really like velvet. I wish it could work in my house. But it isn't very modern. I love the new houndstooth fabrics that Jamies pointed out on my chair thread. I have also been looking at modern toile. I am in love with this one and have to find something to use it on! :)

{{!gwi}}

Source: brickhousefabrics.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

I don't know why this is so difficult!!!!!! :)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Actually, a dull-finished, low pile cotton or silk velvet can work surprisingly well in a modern scheme, I think. It can feel very sleek and elegant.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now I'm looking at velvets - but would love a stripe. Thinking of mixing the two....

I just don't want to spend a lot $$$ on the fabric (don't we all???)

Saw this online - might work, and then adding in the solid velvet on the sides and back and welting???

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    11 years ago

I can't really too much of the chair but it looks pretty cool as it is - unless there is damage that I can't see. I am not saying that it should stay in that room but it looks like a nice piece with a nice upholstery job already.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know -- it really is. It's a Hancock & Moore "Balfour Chair" - and I HATE to recover it. I actually love the fabric. But since we re-did our entire first floor, it just doesn't work in any of our rooms anymore.

Purchased it as a floor model 15 years ago for $800 -- it retails today for $3000 (base fabric) -- not that any of that matters....

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    11 years ago

I could not bring myself to reupholster that beauty - it's a classic!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I like the stripe, but is it an ivory background? Since the first thing you see when looking at the wallpaper is the turquoise background, I think it would be a good idea not to make it your main color in the fabric. With the white wainscoting, and the prominence of the wallpaper, a distinct pattern only in two colors might be a good 'fit'. I also like the idea the pattern being a modern take on an old design, perfect for your gorgeous vintage chair.

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm