Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akastj_northern_ca

Samsung Releases Silver Nano Technology Washing Machine

akastj_northern_ca
18 years ago

Although currently only being sold in the Middle East, maybe they'll decide to bring it to the US...

From Appliance Magazine:

"Samsung Electronics has reportedly launched the world's first Silver Nano technology-enabled washing machine, Hauzen, in the Middle East. Available in 10-kg capacity, the new ergonomically-designed model is a next-generation washing machine designed to promote healthy living among users by keeping clothes bacteria and fungus-free for 30 days while saving on energy and time.

Samsung's "Silver Wash" technology reportedly uses electrolysis to sterilize and kill 99.9 percent of bacteria. When set on "Silver Wash," the washer's sterilization system generates silver particles that kill off bacteria and mold in the laundry giving clothes a clean, healthy and bacteria-free wash, according to the company."

The complete article is linked below...

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: ApplianceMagazine.com / Samsung Releases Silver Nano Technology Washing Machine in Middle East

Comments (40)

• applemac
    18 years ago

More info on the washer. Link below....

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here.

• User
    18 years ago

Are we all really that dirty that we need such a machine. Just washing clothes apparently isn't enough any more! When will it end?

• jerrod6
    18 years ago

Just wait. Whirlpool or P&G will latch on to this and begin telling people in the USA that we are indeed that dirty and really need to fight germs and of course we will really need their brand of washer or detergent that can kill 99.9 percent of bacteria for up to 1 month.

AND the US consumer will run for it.

• peterh770
    18 years ago

They are capitalizing on the "bird flu" hysteria that is taking off.

• akastj_northern_ca
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OT but related.

There was a show on local TV here yesterday, warning of the excessive use of certain anti-bacterial soaps. They allow germs to build immunities and become more easily resistant to more potent medications.

A little dirt and bacteria does everyone some good...

TJ

• cmc_97
    18 years ago

Even if the claims about bacteria are true, that doesn't mean this technology can do anything to knock out viruses.

I note that they make no claims about viruses.

CMC
    This machine would (if claims are true) do a good job on diapers.

• hbw248
    18 years ago

The silver nano technology would be great for those owners that have problems with mold, mildew and odors that form in their machines. There's not a month goes by that someone posts a problem with either their top or front loader washer having odors or mold/mildew.

• tgodel
    18 years ago

This is an intriguing concept, but I'm not exactly sure I understand the full story. First of all, it is not a response to this year's Bird Flu coverage, as Samsung has been promoting the technology for at least a year in different markets.

I'm skeptical that we would see this machine promoted in the US market this way, because Samsung's supporting material is flawed as it lacks a control. It appears to compare clothes washed in the specific washer (or "treated") to those not threated by anything at all, including a washer. This is vastly different than comparing Nano to an equivalent washer with no silver magic.

Assuming that this process might yield potential value right out of the washer, what happens in the dryer? Samsung doesn't have a companion dryer--possibly because dryers may not be popular in the Middle East. I would suspect that the wild statically-charged environment of a tumbling dryer has an impact on flighty residual ions.

I think this technology has potential, but I also think it demands a robust discussion before getting excited about it. Like an ionizing air cleaner (which Samsung also sells under the same brand), the hygenic effect of this type of technology is measurable but not necessarily pervasise: does the antimicrobial effect really last in the real world? is it greater than a non-silver washer? No conclusive answers from Samsung, so far...

--T

• dross
    18 years ago

Silver tech machines have been available in Asia for a while - we've discussed them here before.

As for the show TJ saw, people have been raising the idea of the evil of overantibacterialization for a couple of years. As a counter to the idea that antibacterial soaps are better than regular handwashing, the idea has a place. It completely doesn't apply to laundry, where one is trying to neutralize (among other things) e-coli and other fecal bacteria - there is no advantage whatever to leaving any of this on one's laundry.

It seems to me that the change in our laundry habits over the last couple of decades has made laundry germ-friendlier than it used to be - we wash cooler (even 'hot' has changed from 14F to 120F in most unheated machines), avoid chlorine bleach, dry cooler, etc. Whether silver tech can compensate for this, I don't know, but it would be great if it could. - DR

• dross
    18 years ago

Oops - that's 140F, not 14F - DR

• spambdamn_rich
    18 years ago

I have found that using a good detergent and hot water cleans clothes quite effectively. I really wonder if washing in cold water with silver particles will do the job as well as hot water, a good powder, and STPP or other phosphate booster.

On a more personal note, I've found that I can't routinely use antibacterial soaps like Dial in the shower. I get skin breakout from them. But I am using Colgate toothpaste with Triclosan, primarily because of the studies that show it reduces gum disease (it seems to clean well also).

• applemac
    18 years ago

Now it's the air we breath....

Panasonic Unveils Air Conditioners that Clean Automatically

Oct 26, 2005

Panasonic, the leading brand by which Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. is known, unveiled its latest air conditioners featuring a new anti-bacterial system and an advanced automatic filter cleaning system. The new systems maintain a germ-free environment and require no cleaning of filters. The X Series air conditioners include 11 new models and will be available in Japan starting Dec. 21.

The new split-type air conditioners reportedly feature the world's first anti-bacterial system consisting of an anti-bacterial heat exchanger, an ion-generating air purifier and filters that stay clean for 10 years. The exchanger eliminates germs during cooling and heating operations and inhibits the growth of mold that can cause an unpleasant odor. The fins of the indoor unit of the newly-developed heat exchanger are coated with resin containing a metallic anti-bacterial agent. By adjusting the amount of coating resin and the amount of the agent emitted, the anti-bacterial effect will last over 10 years.

According to the company, it has charged the entire surface of the filters on the face of the unit and placed an ion emitter near the air outlet. The emitter discharges a large amount of negative ions that electrically charge dust, mold, pollen, and other particles in the air. These are collected by the positively charged filters. The micro-mesh filters are 40 percent finer and have 50-percent greater dust collecting power than previous models, effectively preventing particles entering the unit. In addition, innovative air filters use zeolite and transition metal system catalysts to give them self-renewing deodorizing capability. Unlike conventional air conditioners, the new models are free of interior electrodes, which contribute to the "once in 10 years" maintenance.

Panasonic has advanced its automatic filter cleaning system that was well received when introduced in January 2005. The current system has 60 percent more dust collecting power, resulting in reductions in the filter cleaning time of 30 percent. It is also equipped with a controller that adjusts cleaning frequency according to operation hours, the amount of dust collected and the condition of the air in the room.

Large louvers on the left and right sides of the air outlet increase the horizontal air flow by 10 percent reportedly pushing more warm air lower in the room. This increases the comfort area five fold, with temperatures at least 25 degrees centigrade at 10 cm from the floor. This also saves energy by 10 percent over previous models with increased heating efficiency. The cleaning system will also be incorporated into the EX and AX Series air conditioners.

• akastj_northern_ca
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A follow-up report at Appliance Magazine about the Samsung washer:

"A laboratory test result showed Samsung Electronics Silver Nano washing machines are exaggerated. According to the Korea Consumer Protection Board, SamsungÂs Silver Wash technology has no superior sterilization effect, as the company claims in advertisements, when compared with similar drum-type washers of LG Electronics, Daewoo Electronics and Whirlpool.

The consumer board said it will notify the result to the Fair Trade Commission, which may put penalties on Samsung for playing up its washers in TV and newspaper ads."

The complete article linked below...

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: ApplianceMagazine.com / Samsung's Silver Nano Washer Ads Reportedly Exaggerated

• mielemiele
    18 years ago

I hear Samsung is about to roll out a new tumble dryer in a joint venture with Sharper Image. Every new dryer will have a built in "Ionic Breeze" to remove 99.9999999999% of air-born allergens.

(That was a joke)

• tgodel
    18 years ago

Yep, this goes to show that the devil is in the details... comparing a wash with silver magic to NO WASH AT ALL really set Samsung up for a fall. In the public's eye, it doesn't matter that this fact was in plain view in the data itself.

Of course a given washer's comparitive effect will drop when measured against clothes that have been WASHED instead of NOT WASHED AT ALL!

*GRIN* Gotta love this stuff.

--T

• stewball
    18 years ago

There are two Samsungs now available on Lowes website - WF316LAS and LAW. Nice looking machines.

• applemac
    18 years ago

Yes they do look nice.

• sarahw
    18 years ago

The machines jsut hit Richmond Lowes sales floor this week. They are Hauzens!

And they look pretty good. Only the non=heated version was on the floor, but the heated version is available.
    The silver technology isn't really going to do much the clothes being washed, but it probably will help keep the drum cleaner and non-icky smelling. Price point is Hettie-icious - a tad less than 13 hundred for the heated version.

• mrb627
    18 years ago

Has anyone bought one of these machines? I would like to hear a report.

MRB

• hamptonmeadow
    18 years ago

One study found the most e coli laden place in ones home was the washing machine. More than the bathroom. Having said that, our lives are filled with e coli. However repulsive that is to us, it is a fact of life that we have e coli in almost every aspect of our every day living. We ingest it, it is on our counters, shopping cart handles, public restroom doors, faucets, tp holders etc. It isn't killing us and frankly we are much too germ conscious.

Our children are developing allergies at an alarming rate, and while our air and water remains woefully unprotected.
    Some germs (not chicken) in our lives are a very good thing.
    The germ phobia of some of today's mothers goes hand in hand with their rather overprotected children being raised as hothouse flowers. Sorry, this could have developed into a real vent and we are talking about washers. LOL

• fordtech
    18 years ago

I wonder if the electrolysis will eat away at the metal components like it does in automotive cooling systems?

• dross
    18 years ago

The "hygiene hypothesis" (that cleanliness leads to children's allergies) is interesting but as yet completely speculative.

It makes sense to not go overboard, but - as I mention above - modern washing habits are more conducive, not less conducive, to germy washers than those of a generation or two back, so I don't think diligence in the laundry can be blamed for allergies. Possibly the opposite! Meanwhile, I think it makes sense to try to be a bit careful in the laundry, for the same reason that we hope that our waiter at the restaurant has washed his hands after visiting the gents.

On the other hand, this silver stuff seems to have failed independent confirmation, so I would not rely on it as a replacement for bleach or hot water. - DR

• sweet100s
    18 years ago

Monday my Maytag Neptune front-loading washer from ~1999 died for the umpteenth time. Instead of putting even more $ into a very frustrating washer, decided to get a new one.

Did a bunch of reading Monday night, including here, and decided to get the Samsung WF316.

Called my local Lowe's Tuesday at 8am. Bought it over the phone. They installed it today (Wednesday).

They were offering a free delivery rebate $49 and a $100 Lowe's gift card with the purchase.

One load done - so far so good.

The finish on the model they had in stock is beautiful. Mine is the WF316LAS (s for stainless). From the picture it just looks stainless. But in person it looks very perlescent and less harsh than stainless.

Now to read the manual...

• sweet100s
    18 years ago

Odd, my edits made today, to that post above that I had written since Wednesday, but never clicked "submit" till today, didn't get added in. Anyway they were:

1) (L is for Lowes, S is for Stainless)
    I spent a bunch of time trying to find the difference between the WF316LAS and WF316BAS. It is just L - Lowes, B - Best Buy , not a functional difference

2) One question , am trying to call Samsung to find the answer

How does the machine know how much water to put in? There is no indicator that I can set for different amounts of laundry.

The important thing from reading the manual, is that I need to use the HE (High Efficiency) forms of laundry detergent ex: Tide HE, Wisk HE

• dross
    18 years ago

How does the machine know how much water to put in? There is no indicator that I can set for different amounts of laundry.

On most modern FLs, the initial amount of water is set by the cycle choice, and does not depend on how much clothing is in there. For later cycles, such as rinses, the amount of detergent left in the water is sensed somehow (for example, by a rotation resistance meter or by a water conductivity meter) and extra water is added to eliminate the suds. I don't know if your Samsung works this way; they do have a bunch of patents over the last 5 years covering washer technology, including one for a water level sensor. - DR

• aquarius2101
    18 years ago

There are some modern FLs too that, as well as using the pressure-chamber method for maintaining set water levels, that do actually adjust the amount of water used in the wash. My Miele and my AEG, for example, will if needs heighten the water level in the drum if it senses that the load is very absorbent. So, for example, if you are only washing 1 or 2 items, the water level in the drum will be considerably lower than if you were washing a full load - and the amount of water used in the rinses will also correlate to this. However I haven't seen any other washer bar my AEG and Miele washers do this; others such as my Bosch or my nana's godawful Hotpoint only have set water levels for both washes and rinses, as you describe. (In cases of oversudsing, most modern frontloaders I have seen going tend to add an extra rinse rather than heighten the water level, although the big-ass US frontloaders may differ).

Take care,

Jon

• dross
    18 years ago

The Bosch Nexxt does adjust water levels during a rinse. - DR

• aquarius2101
    18 years ago

I gather that, like the TOL European Bosch models, that it has the Hydrosensor rinse sensor, which the lower models don't?

(sorry about that - would have mentioned higher-end Bosch machines too if it hadn't slipped my mind).

Jon

• dross
    18 years ago

Well, I just looked again and see that both the Nexxt and the Axxis units use a thing called "SENSOTRONICÂ PLUS" (probably just the NA name for "Hydrosensor rinse sensor") which claims to use pressure switches to judge and adjust initial fill depth. I have to say, I never noticed a difference in amount of water (judges by fill time) used in different loads. - DR

• whirlpool_trainee
    18 years ago

The Hydrosensor (called "Aqua-Sensor" over here) measures the turbidity of the rinse water and adjusts how long and how many times the laundry is rinsed.

From reading BoschÂs US homepage, it seem as if only Sensotronic II Plus can readjust pre-programmed fill levels, while Sensotronic Plus only fills (and refills) to whatever fixed level the chosen cycle demands.

Alex

• kimberly42
    17 years ago

I just received my new samsung washer and Dryer . the washers makes lots of vibration noise during spinning and rinse .Is this normal ?

• lingalls
    17 years ago

I just purchased mine today (the Samsung 306 washer and dryer.) Would anyone else who has had theirs for awhile care to comment on how it's working? I spoke with someone who's had theirs for a month, and they really feel as thought their whites are cleaner and that the clothes somehow smell better too...

I don't know about the vibration noise - I have heard that it's not bad on the Samsung. Is it leveled correctly?

• weedly
    17 years ago

I just received my new samsung washer and Dryer . the washers makes lots of vibration noise during spinning and rinse .Is this normal ?

It is normal for a front-loader that is not leveled correctly.

Check installation guide for procedures. If you paid to have the machine installed, I'd call them back and have them come level it correctly.

Good luck with your new machine! I'm sure it will work just fine when you get the leveling bug worked out.

• airedale4mom
    17 years ago

We are seriously considering buying the Samsung WF316 and matching dryer DV316. My husband doesn't really care about the silver technology aspect as much, he loves the look of them and cares more about the clothes looking clean and the machine running well. I would love an update from those people that bought these machines at least a few months ago.

Any problems? Any difficult in getting them serviced?

Thanks!

M

• bignum_cwia_com
    17 years ago

There is an interesting product review at www.epinions.com that you'll find useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: review of Samsung WF316

• mom4_2much2do
    17 years ago

kimberly42- try tweaking the leveling yourselves if you can get to the feet. it helped when we fiddled with our washer ourselves.

aim for perfect level and perfect plumb while the machine is spinning a heavy wet load. remember to loosen the lock nuts, then tighten them up to the machine when you've done the best you can. oh, and other poster here had written a great post on leveling that advised watching the feet closely while the machine is spinning (lay down on the floor) and adjust any feet which seem to wobble.

• crooks101
    16 years ago

I think this washer will quietly disappears from market at some time. Just too much risk and developing controversy over sliver nano technology. They highlighted silver nano directly in their marketing pitch. It might have been better to use "Green" instead of "silver".

Green is in. Cool. Silver is out.

• kmitch
    16 years ago

I've been looking at them for some time now as my 11 yr old top loader slowly kicks the bucket. Of course I need some disinfecting to be going on in the washer (we have smelly sports attire). I think any washer with hot water and detergent would be fine. But, my main interest was that I could disinfect without using hot water. A front loader with silver ions would save energy and water. They will be delivered next week and I'll let ya know how I like them.