Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aeason_gw

Please help stop my eyes from rolling around in my head (washer/d

aeason
15 years ago

I subscribed to Consumer Reports. I have read reviews on store websites, I have searched here.

Just when I think I have it narrowed down I read something that changes my mind.

There is so much conflicting info out there and I'm seriously getting a headache.

I've got so many different makes and model #s floating around in my mind I can't even rememeber.

So, please take pity on me. I know nobody will agree on *one* particular brand, but I just plain need some help.

Okay, we need a washer and dryer. Front loading. Will be on second floor right next to bedrooms. On ceramic tile.

I do a lot of laundry (I've got a husband who is very hard on his clothes and I also have a four year old). I'm very easily annoyed so something "relatively" quiet is a must.

I do lots of towels and like to wash our comforters regularly. It's also important to use machines that will be gentle on my son's clothes.

I don't want any kind of cycle buzzer. I need to be able to toss things in after it's started. I'm a slight germophobe so any kind of sanitize/steam cycle would be great.

Price, brand, color don't matter at this point. I'm totally open to getting one brand of washer and another brand dryer, whatever works. So can anyone point me in a direction? Please?

Thanks SO much in advance!!

Comments (19)

• phillygrl
    15 years ago

I love my Frigidaire Affinity 7000. It has a sanitize cycle for germ laden washes. It has a pause to let you add that sock you dropped on the way to the washer. It is so quiet I have to have the buzzer on to let me know it has finished. I wanted the 7000 series for the built in heater. That's what enables the sanitize cycle, and keeps the water at your selected temperature in a regular cycle. Also, the Affinity series has separate bearings for the tub, making it easily repaired if need be. It has lots of choices, from extra gentle to a heavy duty wash that gets my husband's grungy work clothes clean. Cleans towels great. Did a great job on my comforters. Pricewise it wasn't the cheapest front loading pair, but had all of the features I wanted at a reasonable price. I got the pair for around $1100 installed at a local appliance shop, a better price than Lowes or Home Depot.

• cynic
    15 years ago

Personally, I'd suggest cancelling the Consumer Reports. To me it's nothing but a biased, incompetent ripoff. But I digress.

The thing that concerns me about your situation is the second floor with a FL requirement. Whatever unit you decide to go with, make sure you have it in writing that you have a period of time to return it if there's vibration issues. There's no way to really tell for sure whether there will be a problem until you try the machine. I won't push you away from a FL, but just be aware of this possibility. Otherwise there's other options.

You didn't mention budget but were amenable to a different dryer than washer. That could save you quite a bit if you're interested. A large capacity 7.4-7.5 cu. ft Whirlpool/Kenmore can be had for $400-$500 and even less. (I paid $300 for mine on clearance) and it's a nice large capacity and a reliable machine. Matching dryers can be $700-$1000 easily and often are smaller capacity.

Good luck in your search. It can be intimidating. Relax and enjoy the hunt!

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

I just returned a new washer because I realized my "hot" washes would end up warm at best, and my "warm" washes would end up cold. This was because of both the machine's design, and my particular environment:

1) Machine design: Hot washes are limited to 90 deg F, and warm washes to 75 deg F. Hard to get reliable info on whether a particular model will work this way, because the online info, including manuals, are often out-of-date. Ultimately I was able to throw money at the problem by getting a Miele W4840; Bosch might also work. But don't rely solely on the experience of someone who owns the washer you're interested in, because the specs do change. My decision to buy the first machine (LG) relied partly on the online manual, which had a section giving the actual temperatures corresponding to hot, warm, etc. This section was missing from the printed manual that came with the machine.

2) Environment: In my laundry room, the hot water runs cold for a couple of gallons before it turns hot. That means much of an HE machine's relatively small wash fill will be cold even if I want hot. I don't even have a sink where I can run the water to flush the cold out of the line. The best solution is a washer whose internal heater will actually boost (not just maintain) the water temperature on every cycle and every temperature setting. The Miele comes close. Its "Normal" cycle doesn't boost the temperature (as I learned from earlier postings here on THS), but the other cycles I've tried do boost it. I haven't tried every cycle, so I can't vouch for them myself. Bosch washers also have a reputation for boosting the water temperature, but you'd be wise to verify it for yourself. I checked this issue with LG customer service before buying that washer; they gave the answer I wanted, but it was out-of-date.

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

You will find varying opinions here on both sides of the same machines... the best advice I can offer is to measure you space, decide on features you want (sanitary cycle, heater, steam, color, dispensers, pedestals, buzzers, cycles, etc...) and then look at what is out there and how it fits your install space. I agree with the recommendation to be sure it can be returned in a timely period if you have problems with it regarding vibrations and cleaning. Go to local (or semi-local) stores and talk with the sales guys...they typically are well versed in what they sell...unlike the 'big' stores (lowes, sears, home depot and the like)... oince you know what you want, then price shop... include the extended warranty price in your comparison!

I have a second floor install, in a closet in a bathroom on ceramic tile flooring... I do not have vibration issues. I have a heater, which works well when I select to use it. I went for a pretty basic model... not 'spiffy' looking...but it's in a closet for goodness sakes... It cleans well, serves its purpose well, and fit where I wanted it to go...

When I was looking just over 2 years ago, I basicaly picked between the whirlpool and the bosch... both were highly recommended in each of the smaller, semi-local appliance stores I went into... I ended up picking the one I got because I liked the detergent dispensing better and the 'feel' of the door better... personal not quantatative reasons... fwiw I have the bosch 500 series... but there are people here who have installed this same machine on their second floors and have had problems with it...

best wishes!

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Except for the "I subscribed to Consumer Reports" statement, I said the same thing a few weeks ago! I totally agree with cynic about CR. It doesn't help, and makes it very hard to compare, when different web sites quote different specs for the SAME machine :(
    I bought a top loading HE machine (Whirlpool Cabrio), no agitator. Am sending it back for a top loader WITH agitator so that I can regulate the amt of water. The HE wouldn't even cover the clothes with water. My clothes were not as clean (and clean smelling) as my 12 yo KitchenAid :( The new Whilpool Cabrio with agitator will do an auto fill OR I can select from 4 water levels.
    Good luck! It's very confusing. The more you know the more confusing it seems to get :o
    Monica

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

aeson, if you've read the washer forum at CR, you know there is a guy there who says to only buy Samsung FL with VRT for a 2nd floor that's not concrete.

Perhaps I'm a lone ranger here, but I've researched appliances at CR for saveral years and haven't yet bought a lemon. Before buying my present washer/dryer (Maytag Bravos), I also researched other websites and got recommendations from people I know in IRL. All I can say is, I bought this washer/dryer in May and have had nothing but excellent results.

• dgsj66
    15 years ago

Too bad this is all so confusing for you and others. I'm in the industry, and have tried several pairs of FL and Cabrios over the last four or five years in my home. A couple of quick notes:
    1) If vibration is a problem in front load, you can usually select a lower spin speed to reduce the issue. The larger the load, and the larger the machine, the more likely you may be to have issues.
    2) The new Maytag Bravos version of the Cabrio has a Sanitize cycle, and OxiClean for stain removal. My family really liked our Cabrios, except for the lack of the sanitize cycle. The new Bravos may be a good fit IF you need very large capacity.
    3) I've not owned the Samsung VRT, but they certainly get good reviews for balance on the second floor.

All of that said, you said you wanted or needed a front load. I am very comfortable recommending the Whirlpool Duets (WFW9400/WED9400) or Duet Steam (WFW9500/WED9500), as they are the ones most of my customers give the best feedback on. Tried and true, sanitize cycle...

If those are a little out of budget, or you don't need something quite that large, try the Frigidaire ATF8000/AEQ8000 Affinity set.

And don't forget to use Affresh or something similar with some regularity.

• newbie55
    15 years ago

Consumer Reports is only a starting point. Use their information for general knowledge. I have relied on their reliability ratings and they have proved trust worthy. But even these show most manufacturers withing a couple of points of each other. Avoiding the ones ranked least reliable would be prudent.

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Where can I find ratings on the various consumer magazines and websites?

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

One of the OP's requirements is to be able to toss things in after the load has started. I would have thought this was impossible with a front loader (visions of water pouring out all over the floor). Can you?

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

My LG has pause button and I can open it anytime except on hot/ sanitize cycle, I guess some safety thing b/c of the hot water.
    No, water is not gushing out even if I use water plus option. Many times I paused it to add a sock or wash cloth etc.
    However I never opened the door during rinse cycle, it looks like there is whole lot more water so perhaps the water might gush out then.

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

bosch is the same... water level is not over the opening at all... stop listen for door unlocking and open and toss in what you need to... unless it's the sanitary cycle and the water is too hot, then it won't open...

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

Today's FLs don't use as much water as old TLs or Laundramat FLs.

My LG won't unlock the Door if the water is too hot, or the water level is too high
    (not usually, except during "Tub Clean" cycle).

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Are visions of the washing machine scene in the movie "Stuart Little" running through some people's minds?

• sparky823
    15 years ago

The Samsungs with VRT would be the "safest" way to go for a second floor install.

They have a balance ring whereas the other F/L machines doesn't .

• deke
    15 years ago

Just a little eye rolling left! Second floor is important should guide your decision. Some units vibrate less than others due to the type of suspension - someone help me out here, but I believe a washer with a "hanging" type suspension will vibrate less.

Also, with a second floor you have to worry about leaks destroying your house. Two things will help you never have to deal with this. Have your plumber install "Burstbuster" valves and use Floodchek hoses (google both to find them). Do not use hoses that come with the machine or that you can buy at the home center. They are inferior. Burst washing machine hoses can release hundreds of gallons of water and are the second top reason for home insurance claims (first - leaking fridge ice maker plumbing). You don't want to turn your stairs into a water fall. Please whatever washer you buy, be smart with a few ounces of prevention. The Floodchek hoses are superior and the likelihood of them leaking or bursting is far less than standard hoses. If they ever do leak, the Burstbuster will detect the water and shut off the valves thereby saving your house and thousands and thousands in damage.

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

But a hanging type suspension may wear out sooner and then we're back to square one....

You could put a large "drip pan" under the washer with a built in drain to somewhere...

• deke
    15 years ago

Hi regus. The pan with a drain idea sounds good, but it presents problems. A standard drain uses water in the trap to prevent sewer gases from coming into the house. Any drain under a washer will not be subjected to a new supply of water and the water in the trap will evaporate resulting in a sewer smell in the house! Or, you could poor water down it once a week or so! Instead of a drain hooked up to the house plumbing, you could run a pipe to the wall of the house that, in case of a leak, would drain outside, but imagine if you aren't home and a hose bursts. 400 - 600 gallons of water an hour gushing all around your pan and out some odd vent/pipe! No thanks.

I have worked through this and the absolute best approach is a combination of really good hoses and a leak detection unit that shuts off the water to the hoses if a leak occurs.

No matter what you have, if you go on vacation, turn off the valve manually. It always seems these things happen when people are on vacation!

• aeason
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, thank you. Sounds crazy as you all gave different advice (mostly) but this thread has actually been a big help in focusing me on what to do.

I think we will go with a samsung pair (now off to pick a model--that should easier,lol) with the idea that we'll be eyes open, watching, and up for a return if it doesn't work out (and make sure we buy from a place I can easily do that).

I also really, REALLY apprciate the advice on a second floor install, which is new for us. I will show this thread to my husband and make sure that all the extras, burstbuster, etc.. are done.

Thanks again all!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!