Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

How would this look?: stainless counter, marble subway backsplash

theresse
14 years ago

I've seen a beautifully done period kitchen like this only her backsplash was marble slab - not subway tiles. How would the subway tiles look do you think? I know it looks gorgeous w/ a honed black type countertop, but what about stainless? I've used stainless for years on my island and I completely disagree that it's difficult. Couldn't be easier and the scratches are tiny and become one big nice patina unless gouged into deeply. It wouldn't be used for cutting anyway. Nice thick gauge doesn't dent without major abuse.

See link to pic of my ugly kitchen the way it is now! ;)

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/01/before_kitchen_countertopbacks.html?cat=kitchens

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/01/another_before_kitchen_counter.html?cat=kitchens

The general feel of our house:

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/01/living_room_showing_some_of_th.html?cat=kitchens

As some of you know, I've been considering 3 options for my mostly-period 1913 kitchen. The kitchen has white painted old cupboards (could be painted another color though). My choices need to be narrowed down to one of the following, overall:

- stainless steel countertop w/ some sort of subway tile (preferably 2x6 since that's what it had in 1913), and farm style/apron sink w/ appropriate faucet. If stainless, the island top which isn't as large as many others would become either wood or soapstone. Possibly marble island top, but only if the backsplash subway tile isn't done in marble since I don't want to be too matchy.

- soapstone countertop, and Walker-Zanger's 2x6 "Hamptons Beige" colored subway tile which are beautiful, hand-made, lightly crackled and glazed tiles (same sink/faucet) in which case island top would become marble or wood - or I could even leave what's on it now which is stainless. Stole this idea from beautiful inspiration pic from a magazine.

- brazilian cherry counterop (certified - but still nervous about the environment) w/ either white, off-white or the Walker-Zanger beige subway tile. Concerned also the color of wood could be too reddish but it's the only very hard/durable wood that is darker than maple and which isn't as expensive as teak. I don't want a light colored countertop for this kitchen but it has too be extra hard/tight to prevent water damage. House originally had wooden countertop.

Any feedback - but especially w/ regard to whether marble tile w/ stainless would work okay - would be greatly appreciated! My contractor wants me to let him know tomorrow morning - ack! I apologize in advance if you find another similar thread by me soon about which choice to make (between the 3). I'll be wanting official votes, soon. Just trying to be as efficient as possible w/ threads in case I run out of time - e.g. may not have time to post again until late tonight!

MUCH LOVE TO YOU FABULOUS WONDERFUL AMAZINGLY HELPFUL GARDENWEB USERS! :) :) :)

Comments (16)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I also love my stainless counters, and think that a marble subway backsplash could look awesome.

If you really wanted to do marble on the island in option 1, I'm sure another subway could work on the walls.

All of these ideas sound good, but what do you want to work on on the counters and island, and what vision do you want to see when you walk into the room? What feel do you want? Because each of these, although quite nice, have different personalities and impacts. Especially the overriding warmth of all wood vs the colder impression of the others with the wood/warmth more as accent. Which will you want to see when you get up in the morning, when you have it all clean after dinner in the evenings, when you're busy working and/or sitting in the room enjoying a cup of coffee or a magazine?

• golddust
    14 years ago

I own a 1912 era house and I love the idea of stainless or zinc counters with marble backsplash. We did marble subway tile backsplash (3x6) 6 years ago and still like the look. Our counters are bianco romano but if I were doing it again today, I'd jump at zinc counters. (Didn't think of it 6 years ago.)

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for your feedback rhome410! Do you have pics I can see? Modern or older-looking kitchen? What's your backsplash? This one isn't what I was going for but is VERY charming nonetheless. I hope it shows up since it's not a normal link:
    https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=9be9b51314&view=att&th=123d985db733acb9&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=f_fzucgr8n1&zw

These are all really good points you bring up. The problem is that the room is so small and dark that I don't often get to sit in there casually for a cup of coffee and get that happy kitchen feeling - haha. Although I admit I often huddle in the corner by the TV and steal moments of TV time when I can, pathetic as that sounds. Hmmm now that you mention it, there is often a cup of coffee in-hand! I think if I can find a way (make room) for the contractor to put a top on the island that sticks out enough for me to put a couple of stools UNDER an edge, that I'd spend more time in there as well as w/ guests. Right now we all stand around - and there's very little room for more than a few people.

Re. light vs. dark colors, I understand the philosophy that some have: that if you have a somewhat small, dark room, you shouldn't try to make it what it isn't, but should rather go for the cozy cave feeling (e.g. deep color on walls, dark accents) and the same in reverse for bright large rooms (wow all who visit with cheery brightness). I think I could be happy with either of these. I've grown used to the white counters I have but anything darker might also be a welcome change, you know? I don't know if the change to something dramatically darker (black-ish counter) would feel shocking/depressing or not. I suspect not, but then I've never had a dark counter ever now that I think about it so I don't know. Layering of different rich/deeper colors mixed with light and bright sounds like a safe bet to me. Stainless is interesting in that it looks like a darker grey in certain light (small lamp) and a bright fluid reflective silver at other times. I like its glossiness if polished up but also like its matte look if not polished.

I'm really wanting to post my beige tile inspiration picture (sounds awful without an example), that goes so well w/ a charcoal counter, but don't have the software for using my printer as a scanner.

Anyway, thank you!

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you golddust - I just found your response long after writing my other response but didn't post it until now (got distracted by life)! Do you have pictures? I'd love to see them.

• User
    14 years ago

Theresse, if you have a digital camera, you can take a picture of your picture.

Turn off the flash so it doesn't glare on the picture.
    Tape it to the wall where there is good natural daylight striking it. Get as close as you can to fill the frame and yet remain in focus.

And, I have a stainless topped microwave cart/island, and a stainless topped buffet, both of which are in my kitchen. I ordered them online but forget from where. The buffet is white, the cart is light ash colored wood.

I like your ideas of vintage kitchen, don't think SS would be out of place. My hubby wants Silestone counter tops, and that in a grayish tone would look gorgeous with the cabinets in a white paint job. I'm fond of the white, ochre yellow, and gray or terra cotta combinations.

Did you mention what kind of flooring you are doing?
    I missed that item. I'm interested in what you do, all the choices can blow your mind on what seems to be a simple process!

• budge1
    14 years ago

Like others have said, I think marble and stainless would look amazing in a period kitchen - especially with your cabs (which I love - never seen doors like that before).

i'd consider using a wood top on the island to warm things up a bit and keep that juxtaposition between old and new going. Some say that wood is difficult in a kitchen, but we've had our wood top island for 4 years and I love it - even with 2 little kids.

Have you seen the kitchen from the movie "it's complicated"? Do a search - there are lots of pics online.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

We built our house new...It's a modified American Foursquare style...so kind of Craftsman, kind of farmy...Just homey. Not necessarily supposed to look old, but certainly not contemporary. I only have stainless counters on each side of the stove...wood on the island and laminate on the other perimeter counters. Anyway, I don't know if my photos will help, but I'll add some below.

As far as the drinking coffee thing went, I just meant to imagine the different ways and times you'd view your kitchen and see which color/materials combination you'd rather walk into at those times. That's what helped me decide on my color scheme...Dark or light, dramatic or serene.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Moccasinlanding, thank you - I wondered if I could just take a picture of it. Now, however, the deadline has passed and I'VE DECIDED WHAT I'M DOING. Whew! Actually I didn't decide. I told my contractor who showed up this morning that I CAN'T DECIDE and am going completely crazy out of my head bonkers not being able to decide between stainless w/ marble subway backsplash or soapstone w/ beige subway backsplash. So I told him to decide for me and I'd be happy either way (and if not happy, it would be default tell me that I really wanted the other thing)!

So HE chose stainless w/ marble. He said black counters are too ubiquitous these days, and dark (potentially depressing), and that we can add more warmth by replacing our kitchen island top with butcher block (it's currently stainless). To answer your question about our floors, they're wood.

Yesterday I found an interesting online piece about a woman's original 1912 or 1913 kitchen - showing pictures - having one counter w/ steel on it. It appears to me to be zinc or pewter, and it was in a pantry-type room that had U-shaped counters, the connecting counter being the metal one. The other two were made of old dark wood. Stainless was invented in 1913 (amazing how many things were - including refrigerators!) and so I feel good enough about doing a period kitchen in stainless as long as all else looks old-fashioned for the most part. And as long as I can contrast w/ lots of warmth in other ways - particularly re. wood. The marble should help w/ that too I hope. Can you tell I'm trying to convince not just you guys but myself, too? ;)

Here's the link that shows that woman's original 1913 kitchen (I can't help but feel sad that she changed it - and also some of her choices - but to each her own. Plus she wrote that it was meant to be a temporary fix only):

http://www.fromtimespast.com/RestorationJournalTheKitchen.htm
    Third pic down shows the metal which you can see much better if you use your computer to zoom in on it.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Oh, I know it's not my kitchen, but I love your contractor's choice and his reasoning sounds good. I think it will be GREAT.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you budge1! While I'm not positive, I'm pretty sure our cabinets are original. I need to take a picture of the other wall to show you the even larger (wider and deeper) cabinets on that wall - and how they match the ones in the pics I've posted - and also on that wall there's a tall narrow matching ironing board cupboard as well as a skinny short spice rack cupboard below that that also matches. It seems like too much to be put in later cause it all goes together pretty well and is made of pretty sturdy wood.

My contractor agrees with you: he says our island top should be replaced with some nice wood to warm up that stainless. :) Can't wait!

I have seen the pics from that movie, though unfortunately haven't seen the movie yet (love Streep as well as Steve Martin...and heck, even Baldwin's grown on me...ever since Schwetty Balls ;)

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Was just going through old threads to make sure I've followed up on everything. i know there is a thread hiding in there somewhere in which I never responded to others' very helpful suggestions! :( It just got away from me.

At any rate, Budge1, here's the pic that shows that "other wall" I was telling you about. You can see the ironing board cupboard and below it you can just make out part of the low spices cupboard. The big cupbards on the left are essentially like pantry cupboards as they're very huge and deep. Sure would love a real pantry though but oh well - you (I anyway) can't have it all!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall that shows other cabinets which suggest being original

• budge1
    14 years ago

Tres cool, Theresse. I can see now why you can't extend that counter top.

We had a deep narrow cab that was a black hole. Our cab company didn't have any sort of pantry to fit it, but I just found a pull out wire pantry at Lee Valley that fits like a glove and glides in and out like a dream. Maybe something like that would fit in your cabs and you can pretend you have pantry :-)

We live in a 120 year old home, but sometime in the 50's or 60's someone pulled the kitchen out and walled up the original backdoor. When we moved in the floor was avocado vinyl, yellow plastic wall tiles halfway up the wall, dark turquoise ceiling and black and turquoise wallpaper. I still dream of what it must have looked like originally - sigh.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG that's such a bummer about your kitchen - hahaha - sorry but it made me laugh! Yes I imagine it must have been incredible way back when. Have you ever thought of looking into that more? Seeing if you can hunt down pics or drawings/plans or hunt down previous owners and ask for old family photos? Probably too tall an order but these kinds of things are so up my alley. Note to self: should have been an historian.

I love the idea of getting pull-out pantry shelves and can't believe I didn't think of that before! Thanks for the suggestion!

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG that's such a bummer about your kitchen - hahaha - sorry but it made me laugh! Yes I imagine it must have been incredible way back when. Have you ever thought of looking into that more? Seeing if you can hunt down pics or drawings/plans or hunt down previous owners and ask for old family photos? Probably too tall an order but these kinds of things are so up my alley. Note to self: should have been an historian.

I love the idea of getting pull-out pantry shelves and can't believe I didn't think of that before! Thanks for the suggestion!

• budge1
    14 years ago

Yes, please laugh - I just can't believe I didn't take before pictures.

We had to do an emergency reno about 4 years ago when we found loose asbestos insulation in the cupboards and while we tried to make it look a bit vintage, if I'd had more time to think about it, I would have searched out original pieces from period kitchens.

I think we are two peas in a pod. When we replaced the plate glass front window someone had put in at the same time they did the kitchen (I'm guessing they must have come into some money at this point and done these lovely upgrades as a result), we found old pics of what they looked like originally and had them copied. Lovely, but not cheap.

Also wanted to mention that the best thing about the pull out unit from Lee Valley was that I was able to install it myself in no time - very easy.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooooh I love it when people have old windows copied. Where are your pics anyway? I'm sure I've seen them (the ones showing your kitchen) but right now I can't find them.

I'll take a look at Lee Valley - thanks.