Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

Anyone have Home Depot towel bars?

meg711
16 years ago

Sorry! It's little ol' indecisive me again.

We've been in the house for months (months!) without towel bars, TP holders, etc. The builder is going to put them up. All I have to do is pick them out. Sheesh!

I haven't been to the specialty bath stores. Instead I went to Home Depot (which my designer said was fine) and picked out something very basic that, stylistically, seems to go with the fixtures. They're by Liberty Hardware, the Milburn line which might be a HD exclusive. (Similar to Liberty's Notra.)

These weren't the cheapest towel bars--probably $30 for a towel bar, but I know that there are much more expensive bars out there ($80 or $100). I just didn't know if they were worth it.

When I took them out of their packaging, I was struck with how flimsy the bars felt. Are they feeling flimsy because they aren't installed yet? Will they feel more substantial once they're anchored to the wall? Also, the installation screws are not concealed, which bugs me, but I don't know if they're ever concealed in that price range.

I'm hoping someone has used these bars and can give me some advice.

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Liberty Notra

Comments (9)

• polly929
    16 years ago

I had HD towel bars, and TP holder in my last house- they weren't cheap in price, I found them to be just fine and not really any better in quality then the ones I got from Pottery Barn (on ebay) in my current house. They were actually pretty nice once installed and I had a few people ask where I got them. Mine were a little different from yours, I don't remember the brand, but I know the ones I had were discontinued.

• bubbamommie
    16 years ago

Home Depot was the first place we look for towels bar - no thank you. Way too expensive for what you get. We got a great deal at Costco, a double towel bar, towel hook, and towel ring all for $20 and they are NICE - brushed nickel finish and all. Not a thing is flimsy. We also got our light fixture there for $15 and it's nice as well. I got a bronze bar for our other bathroom at Target for $20 and it's held up well, not extremely heavy but not plastic-y or cheap looking.

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I talked to the manufacturer and the HD line for Liberty comes with a zinc round bar, while the Franklin Brass line for Liberty Hardware has a brass bar finished in polished chrome. I finally found a store that sells them locally so that I can feel if they're flimsy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I hadn't thought of Costco or Target. Maybe I'll give them a try. My hunch is that because I'm trying to coordinate everything with our faucets, they aren't likely to have the design I'm looking for but you never know.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I got one set from Lowes that wasn't too bad. Don't forget to check Ebay. I got two of my sets off there that match my faucets.

• sipsy
    16 years ago

Meg711- if you have a TJ Maxx or Marshall's close by you might take a look there.

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

I found what I liked at Home Depot for my upstairs bath and have been happy with them. They look and feel nice. I don't think there's anything bad about getting them there if those are what you like :-)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Is there a red face here? somewhere? I went to a designer show room and bought mine for master bath. To my shock and awe, Lowe's had the same thing, I found, once mine were installed, always about a $ or so cheaper on each item. Ah, hindsight.

• meg711
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not being a towel bar snob. I'm happy to pay less but not if it's going to feel plastic-y like the one I currently have on hand from Home Depot. I'm hoping it's the zinc bar that causes it to feel flimsy but I'll know for sure once I see the other Liberty Hardware line in person--the one with the brass bar.

I'll also take a look at Marshalls and eBay and Tuesday Morning. Thanks for the suggestions!

• cearab
    16 years ago

I have been looking to replace my bathroom accessories lately, so this topic is fresh for me. I went to HD, Lowes, Target. Not a huge selection, to begin with, They I looked at Overstock.com. Some good buys there, btw.
    But I found what I want that will coordinate with the faucet I want to also replace along with the accessories. I would like them all to coordinate a bit, and go with the tub faucet as well. I found I could order most of what I want from HD online, but these were items they did not stock in the store. I was encouraged that they offered free shipping. However, after googling the name of what I wanted, I found a huge range in online prices. HD, in spite of the free shipping, was one of the most expensive. I found the Moen faucet I wanted online for $118, free shipping, no sales tax. From HD, it was $186, plus they have to charge our sales tax. From HD, all the accessories added up to $157; I found a source on the exact items for $92, plus the free shipping and no tax.
    Spend a little time on your computer and there are some great buys online.