Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natbear

Let's play name that piece!

natebear zone 10B
11 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the piece of furniture sitting in front of this fireplace is called? I've tried "chaise", "armless chaise", "fainting couch", and "bench" in Google searches, but have come up empty handed.

BTW, this is my first photo upload. I'm quite proud of myself. Now, if I could only remember to check the "have post replies emailed to you" box each time....:)

Comments (24)

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

Rolled arm leather bench ?

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Chaise Lounge

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

OOps forgot to add tufted...

• flymom65
    11 years ago

Beautiful?

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I added vintage to leather fainting couch and got lots of hits

Here is a link that might be useful: Fainting couches

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

Check out Psychiatrist's couch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Psychiatrist's couch

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Could be a rolled arm bench, but we can't see if there is another arm which I would expect for that. Otherwise, you can call it a chaise longue/recamier/fainting couch which can come in many styles. You can also look under lounge chair, chaise, or chaise lounge as EG3d said since it is sometimes listed that way.

• natebear zone 10B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL @ flymom65. :)

Thanks, everyone. It looks like the word "vintage" is an important word to add to the search term. No luck yet on an exact match. I just thought there might be a specific term since I've seen 2 different ones in pics labeled "Traditional British".

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'd call it hot if it's that close to the fire!

Do a search on "tufted armless chaise" and you'll find a number of similar pieces...

• natebear zone 10B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I searched "traditional British furniture" and kept seeing Chesterfield sofas, so I decided to search "Chesterfield chaise". I found an identical one! The catch? It's not for sale. :...( The search continues...

• yayagal
    11 years ago

It's a recamier, French word for recline, pronounced wreck calm me A.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Miss Prissy Wordling here...actually, it's "chaise longue," which means long chair...not "lounge," although many people (including retailers and designers who ought to know) say "lounge."

Michael Quinion, on his World Wide Words site, says this:

"Many visitors to the US are surprised to find that the name for the article of furniture is not only still known ... but is indeed often called a chaise lounge (though by no means all Americans describe it thus). This spelling and pronunciation appears in dictionaries of American English and is now so established that no amount of remonstration, condemnation or ridicule will affect its status one jot.
    The original form, chaise longue, is French, meaning "long chair". Though the chaise lounge form is a classic example of folk etymology's changing an odd foreign word into something more meaningful, in one way it's hard to criticise - it is, after all, a seat that one lounges on ..."

Here is a link that might be useful: Chaise Longue on WorldWideWords

• natebear zone 10B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Recamier...I hope I do find one of those, if only to be able to sound impressive. :) Yayagal, are they also known to be shorter than a chaise?

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

The word "recamier" comes from the famous portrait of Madame Récamier by Jacques-Louis David.

This post was edited by cloudy_christine on Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 17:59

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

Sigh. Why does the character encoding for the accent look right in the preview but not in the post? Trying again : Madame Récamier.

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

Sarah calls it a Chez......

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Oh what a gorgeous painting. My favorite painting in all the world is The Coronation of Napoleon by David. I almost swooned when I saw it in the Louvre.

I may have wished to have that fainting couch near by. It is beautiful.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Nate, the ones I've seen are shorter due to the fact that they're antiques and people were smaller. I've never seen a new one.

• alex9179
    11 years ago

The lady looks like she's about to undergo a bleeding, or just finished. What a weird arm placement.
    I just googled her in images. She was a very popular subject and had an interesting life!

For some reason, I have always disliked the "lounge" of chaise lounge, so I'm a little happy that it's not correct. I'm going to start calling my fainting couch a recamier, she deserves to be remembered.

• natebear zone 10B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ Yayagal: I'm both pleased and disappointed by your response. I'm pleased that they are shorter, however, I am disappointed that they're only available as antiques. The space I have in mind for it is only about 6 ft wide, so that's good, but it also means I'll have quite the search to do.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

It is pronounced 'chez' arcy.

Bronwynsmom, glad someone else is like me on that term (see my post near top). :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I only know how to pronounce it and know what it is, from reading ten thousand+ Romance/Gothic/Harlequin books from ages 12-25. Chaise longue/lounge is quite popular in the Victorian ones!
    And I always, then and now, look up words I don't know.
    So useful in life, lol!

• User
    11 years ago

Here is one that I have always liked from Napastyle. It has different styling in the legs but similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Napastyle leather armless chaise.

• melsouth
    11 years ago

You could get this one that geokid posted about Friday...
    if you're talented at upholstering. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique fainting couch--worth the hassle?