Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madtown_2006_gw

Looking for feedback on art for my son's room...(w/ pics)

madtown_2006_gw
12 years ago

You all were so helpful with regard to the dresser, why not ask about the rest of the room!

Here's where we're at currently...the airplane grouping above the bed is staying; that's new. I'm wondering more about the smaller space above the bed, next to the window. I think it could use something bigger. Maybe something that isn't framed art...like some type of wall hanging or vintage sign...??? Or do you think the current framed photo is fine? I think a headboard would help immensely, but that will have to wait for now. Maybe I should hold off on art until after I do a headboard? (I should also note that I'm working on new window coverings and bedding.)

I found this poster for $10 at World Market and thought it was cool (and hard to pass up for $10). I just taped it up to see how a bigger piece would look in this space. It would certainly need to be positioned a bit higher if it were to stay.

And here is the other side of the room, which also needs some art. My question over here is, do I hang something above the dresser, above the chair, both, neither? One big arragement? I have a bunch of smaller things - some framed photo strips, a little framed card, a tin "C", etc that I could group over the dresser. (Yup, that lamp needs a paint job and a shade!)

Again, here is the poster over the chair....just for fun.

So...any thoughts on either wall? The poster itself is not all that important. It's cute but I could easily return it. I'm open to other things besides art for either wall, like a big clock or a mirror? And, in case it matters, the one other wall (opposite the airplanes) that you sort of see in that last shot has a large book rack on it (much more full these days!) I don't think this wall needs anything. Just wanted to show you what else was in the room in case it makes a difference.

Thanks so much for any suggestions/comments!!

Comments (24)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a wonderful room! Have you considered a plane mobile? I think that would be great fun-either one large model or a typical mobile with multiple smaller planes. My DH (former AF pilot) would definitely approve of those pictures you have!

The poster is terrific, too. I agree you need something big above the bed, but I rather like the colors of the poster with the chair. It would be neat if you could find a plane poster with the deco feel of the car poster and put it above the bed.

I am smiling just picturing your wee one enjoying that room. I miss those days!

• nini804
    12 years ago

Such a cute room! It has great bones, love the hardwood floors! I do think that framed photo is too small over the bed, but the poster is great! I think it would fit even better when you put sone window treatments up. I would probably put a large, framed mirror over the dresser. That will come in handy when he is older.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

...and others here. They have some very cool Art Deco inspired ones that would be marvelous in the room, imho. Depending on where you live, I saw ones that have San Francisco, Seattle, texas, etc. as background.

Here is a link that might be useful: posters

• nutmegxo
    12 years ago

I love this room with the cheerful yellow walls and the hardwood flooring along with white furnishings. I agree that the picture above the bed is too small for that spot. However, I think the size of that poster is too large for that spot. I do like the poster above the chair and think it fills in that space nicely. I agree with the previous poster that a mirror above the dresser would be functional and also look nice as well.

What about putting up a chalkboard or bulletin board in that spot above the bed and frame it out with whatever colors you plan on using for the bedding? And I know I have seen model airplanes hanging from ceilings in the pottery barn kids catalogs at one point...that might be a neat idea too!

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Aw, I miss having a little boy around. Once he gets older he will put up posters of half naked women, so enjoy the moment.

• les917
    12 years ago

Have you ever considered flipping the room around?

If you put the bed and night stand on the wall where the dresser and chair are now, you could make or buy a headboard for the bed. Or you could take the six airplane pix and stack them on the wall over the bed in two rows of three - almost creating the feel of a headboard.

Then the chair would go down in the corner where the bed is now, and the dresser on the long wall beside it.

A plug-in wall mounted lamp over the bed or right beside it, if it were a swing-arm style, would be nice for reading in bed, more useful than a light on the night stand, and also frees up the night stand for things like tissues, a clock, etc.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Les - such good ideas as always!!!!

You have a really nice space for your little boy w/ good bones and timeless appeal that will grow w/ him. Good job!

Here are some older pics of my boys room w/ a vintage transportation theme. They were 1 & 3 when these were taken. I'd wanted vintage style posters like what you just bought but I'd never gotten around to it. Now they're 5 & 8. It's growing up nicely w/ them though. They got Marvel Comics Superhero posters for Christmas and now the airplanes and stuff hanging from the ceiling are in a battle of good vs. evil. Well at least to the boys!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I second les's ideas about switching the bed with the chair. Would there not be enough space if it was this way?
    I am not a fan of headboards going past the window frame, but I understand sometimes you don't have a choice. Bigger beds are more popular now.

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

Please use window guards or something that prevents the window from opening wide enough for him to climb out - my windows were always so stiff I could hardly move them myself so decided not to put up guards - but it is definitely something you need to think about!

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much for the great feedback so far, this is what I was hoping for.

nutmegxo - I think I agree that the picture is too small and the poster too big. I checked out the link posted by cyn (thanks!) and there are a lot of nice things in a variety of sizes, for good prices, so I'm sure I can find something!

I also like the idea of the poster over the chair and then a mirror over the dresser.

Les - yes, I did consider that but I thought it might be too much to walk into the room and have the bed RIGHT THERE. However, as you point out, it would make a headboard much easier. Maybe I should actually move the furniture to see how it feels, instead of just assuming it will feel too cramped. We plan on switching out the queen bed for a twin in a couple years...maybe once the baby is out of the crib we will get twins in each room. At that point we will have many more options for layout and a headboard will be no problem no matter where the bed is. I also really like the idea of a plug in sconce!

ttodd - thanks for sharing, that is a really cool room and the planes from the ceiling are GREAT! Cool idea! I have one already (you can see it on the dresser) so maybe I can look for more and explore that as an option over thair chair or over the bed.

I think someone asked about bedding....I am thinking of asking my mother in law to make a quilt similar to this one, but white/navy instead of white/red. I love the classic look paired with the patterned sheets. We could always switch out the sheets based on whatever my son is "into" at the time...planes, star wars, etc and the quilt would remain classic looking. I was thinking of starting with these green/yellow sheets to tie in with the wall color. What do you think?

{{gwi:1575529}}

Source: colorfulhomes.tumblr.com via Catherine on Pinterest

{{gwi:1575530}}

Source: westelm.com via Catherine on Pinterest

And then as far as window treatments, I don't plan on spending/doing much at this point. I definitely need to replace what's there because those romans have cords and I just don't like that since his bed is right by the window. For now I'm thinking of DIY fabric roller shades in solid navy or some sort of navy print...need to go to the fabric store! Then down the road once we have a twin bed and a little more space, I might think about something more "permanent" - cordless cellulars and curtains or something. Right now I think cellulars by themselves would maybe be boring and curtains would be strange since the windows are parially covered by bed, chair, etc.

I'm also going to hold off on a rug. I like the wood floors but think once he starts playing in here he might want a rug. Maybe this would be another addition in a couple years with the twin bed.

Whew. So! Any additonal feedback is welcome, you guys are so so so good at this!

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I saw this photo that reminded me of your space...:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.marthastewart.com/274700/home-tour-modern-family-friendly-new-yor/@center/276999/home-tours#/207764

• bungalow_house
    12 years ago

dedtired, in the span of about 2 minutes your post made me laugh, then horrified me, then made me cry.

I'm going to go sit for a while in my 2 and 7 year old boys' rooms now. :)

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

loloren, Yes, that was my inspiration! I got my prints off etsy though.

bungalow - I just blocked what dedtired said entirely, I'm not ready for that type of information :-)

• littlebug5
    12 years ago

I had to laugh out loud at dedtired comments, too. But, as the mother of boys, I know how true it is.

*sigh* My baby boys are now 26 and 22.

• seashellsandpearls
    12 years ago

Have you seen this blog? Her little boys room is great! Airplane theme... everything done on the cheap.

Sea

Here is a link that might be useful: Airplanes

• avesmor
    12 years ago

Two things came to mind as soon as I saw your photos and read your message:

1. Move the furniture around (especially when you mentioned getting a headboard -- you're going to lose your window). Les has already addressed this.

2. A model plane (essentially what ttodd posted) would be cute if you want something over the bed.

Over the bed interim you could buy oversized letters, paint them, and spell out "F L Y". The chipboard letters should be light enough to hang with 3M velcro stickies, so there's no committment of any kind.

Ok so about 50 seconds ago I thought my "F L Y" was an original idea, and was also going to suggest getting an aviation map as wall art... so I was googling to show you what an aviation map looked like and found this really super cute room (loving the whimsy of the flying paper airplane), and I'm pretty sure that door flower thing is made of aviation maps:

• avesmor
    12 years ago

A little more:

So cute.

Are your framed plane pictures matted? When I look closely it looks like they're either matted or there's a width of frosted glass or something that is not quite as white as the print. If they are matted, and the wall color is staying yellow, I would suggest taking them out and either painting them, or covering them with fabric, to something that will help seed them on the wall a little more. (I've both painted and used fabrics to change the color/texture of matting -- in the end there's no real difference other than the texture that fabric can add).

Unless my color is off, I don't think those (look like/white) sheets are going to really tie in with the (looks butter) wall color. Maybe a red/blue/white/yellow stripe, or a plaid or something, or contrast the wall color with a navy or red/white stripe. Though it looks those sheets _would_ tie in to the shades, if you end up wanting to keep those (they look lime on my monitor as well). You could always go with blue walls. :)

HTH

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sea - I have seen that room and "pinned" it...so cute! I will look and see where she got her planes hanging from the ceiling.

avesmore - I have also seen that room, but just the one angle...so great to see a little more it, thank you! In that 2nd pic you can see the clipboards - how cute is that?? I think the FLY letters are perfect!
    And I think you are right about the sheets, probably not the same as the wall color. I still like the idea of the quilt though. The window coverings are are pale lime-ish green with a tiny polka dot, but they are for sure coming down because of the cords. I made them myself and they are also falling apart... ha

• les917
    12 years ago

Take heart - as a mom of 25 and 21 year old young men, neither one ever had posters of half-naked women on their walls.

Both are into Star Trek, so there was a lot of that (without the half-naked women that did appear in those shows, LOL).

Older DS now has an inspirational poster, some pix, and a mirror grouping in his bedroom, and most of the art in the living room and kitchen and bath in his apt are about music (he is an orchestra teacher and rock and roll fan)and space related posters from the Smithsonian.

Younger DS (a history education major) has four framed panels of the Constitution, some photos, and the Gettysburg address, as well as a print of Seurat's "Sunday Afternoon on the Isle of La Grande Jatte". Yes, he is a bit of a renaissance man.

Now, if they have photos of half-naked women elsewhere, that I don't know. LOL

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

Cute room - love the framed plane prints and cheerful wall color.

I second the ideas re hanging airplane mobiles and switching the furniture to see if that offers a better layout. The room posted by avesmor has great ideas. The lettering and headboard look like great DIY projects that won't break the bank!

If you keep the bed where it is I think adding large letters or a large horizontal poster would look great. I don't think I'd use glass on the poster though since it's right over the head of the bed. (We have earthquakes here and I'd be worried about breaking glass!)

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I think the bedding that you are looking at will be great and I really like that paper airplane idea!

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, thank you all so much! I may still try to move the furniture around, but honestly, at this point, I'm afraid to ask my husband to move anything...he's done so much furniture moving in the last two months! (I'm 8 months pregnant) Poor guy! Maybe we will tackle it after the new baby gets here.

Regardless of where the bed goes, I think I have a lot of great ideas from you all - I think I will try to do the letters (F-L-Y) above the bed - safe, lightweight, easy, etc. I already have one model plane from Hobby Lobby, so I might try to tie that in over by the letters. And then I love the idea of a mirror over the dresser and another piece of framed art over the chair. Someone commented on changing out the mats for the airplane prints - I will also experiement with that. I was trying to replicate the look in my inspiration photo (posted by lolauren) but in that photo the prints are much larger and they don't get "lost" like they do on my wall.

• kitschykitch
    12 years ago

I love that book rack, it looks great and is so much more user friendly for kids to use.

• madtown_2006_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kitchy, my father in law and I made it :-)