Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

brushed nickel close enough to stainless?

PoorOwner
15 years ago

Is brushed nickel faucets accessories going to look close enough to some of the stainless steel faucets out there?

I have bought a drinking faucet in BN but my main faucet is Hansgrohe SS optik. I am thinking to go with a BN soap dispenser as well, BN is just so much easier to find things for.

Comments (9)

• faucetman886
    15 years ago

The various products I've seen in BN certainly look like a good match for stainless steel and I believe will be far easier to maintain. Anyone that has stainless steel, ANYTHING, will tell you that it is a pain in the neck (or a few joints lower) to keep clean. I speak of what I know. A tip on the stainless steel came to me recently when the appliance repairman was at my house repairing, for the 5th time, my new LG refrigerator, WD-40 lightly sprayed on a lint free cloth makes the very best cleaner for stainless steel.

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

Huh...I would have thought that stainless steel would be a more shiny finish and brushed nickel more matte. But I have no idea--but I do agree that some of the finishes are incredibly annoying to figure out (brushed nickel vs. brushed chrome? huh?)

Sarah

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

Poorowner - I went through a similar dilemma when I picked out my faucet and airswitch. I was told that BN and SS are usually so similar that you can't tell the difference. I say "usually" because not all SS finishes look the same. Price Pfister SS is more of a bright silver.

In the end, I got a SS Moen faucet and a BN Insinkerator air switch and you can't tell the difference at all.

HTH!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

The brushed or satin nickel finishes vary by manufacturer. I suggest you go to a plumbing supply house or big box store to find samples of all the finishes you're looking at from the same manufacturers. That's the only way you're going to determine how they will look together.

Faucetman886, I have never heard that SS was more difficult to keep clean than BN where plumbing fixtures are concerned...especially satin/brushed SS. Quite the contrary, with BN, for example, you have to be careful what cleaning products you use b/c some products will damage a BN finish. I have not heard the same for SS.

BTW...It has been recommended several times that you do not get a BN strainer for the very reason I stated above...from those who learned the hard way.

I have both SS & BN plumbing fixtures and other than being careful about cleaning products on the BN, I have not noticed any differences in care & upkeep. [I have SS sinks, air switches, GD flange, & strainers and BN faucets & SDs.]

• muscat
    15 years ago

My faucet is a Hansgrohe SS optik as well, and I went with brushed nickle for my soap dispenser (Lowes) and Instahot (Costco), and the combination is just fine. Though the two BN items are from different manufacturers, but you'd never know. I have no trouble keeping any of them clean, and personally find chrome to be MUCH more annoying in that way.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Does anyone remember if it was brushed nickel that discolored with the use of Barkeeper's Friend? There was a thread several months back, but I can't find it now. Anyway, something to consider before choosing BN for around the sink if I'm remembering correctly.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would not use barkeeper's friend on anything but real raw metal finish such as the sink, and pots.

Even the hansgrohe SS I am not sure it is clear coated or not, one test would be how the finger prints show up. Some of the BN I have seen has a luster on it, and is definitely clear coated (lacquer). Most good chrome faucets have a clear coat on it, and the Barkeeper's friend will abrade it away over time. It says on the bottle not to use it on lacquered surfaces. I would sometimes use very diluted amount of it from a wet sponge, but very lightly and not scrub with it.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

My ss sink (Linea Aqua Vienna)is listed as "satin finish". The ss sink, the bn faucet (Elkay Victoria) and the bn soap dispenser (Kohler) go well enough together for me.

I use Bar Keepers Friend on the sink. I have not used any product to clean the faucet or sd except a rag or paper towel. It's been 7 months, and still looks new and I cook & clean a lot.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Yes, RHome410...it was BKF. Someone had used it in their sink w/a BN strainer and the finish was damaged...that's all I remember about it.

I think it was a year ago (or more), b/c that's what pushed me to the SS instead of BN strainers!