Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

Recommendations for paint colors to test needed

remodelfla
14 years ago

I've narrowed down to two choices in natural wood: red birch or teak. Depends on how they look in my setting and with my choices.

I've also been working on paint colors to test for cabinets. DH is visiting a friend in Tenn. and they have a new white kitchen. He loves it as he feels it looks so fresh. (it is newly redone). I don't think white white will go with my flooring and the flooring is one thing we decided on that we both love. There's a link at the bottom from another recent thread that has pics of my stuff.

When I look at pics of BM White Dove on monitor it looks softy grayish white. But on cabinets and from what I've been reading in threads; it looks white white.

So I think I want a sample pot of Lancaster Whitewash. It' looks a grayish taupey white. Any other colors you can recommend? I don't want to do a lighter version of my bakers table as I'm concerned it'll be too much of a "cottagey" look for me.

TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with pics of my stuff

Comments (14)

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Yellow-as in butter or lemon?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't see a yellow white in my head in that space but it doesn't mean it won't work. I think I'm going to bring my table runner that I posted in the link and see what colors fall in between the light colored velvety material and the coocoa colored ones.

WHo knows... I may end up with wood but I do want to know how the wood tones compare to the right paint color on the cabinets for overall effect.

• altagirl
    14 years ago

I think Lancaster Whitewash would look great with your pieces. It comes out buttery with a subtle hint of green. I had it in my old kitchen. I was looking for pics to post but can't find any good ones on this computer. If I find some I'll put them on.

I loved that color, had it for 7 years before I moved... was thinking of doing it again in my new kitchen but it would clash with with original woodwork here. My old woodwork was BM White Dove.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's so hard to tell on monitors. I thought the Lancaster had some gray in it. I'm going to pick up a sample pot, some samples of the woods I'm considering, and would like to get other paint samples too. Then take the entire lot over the house we're remodeling and see how it looks in that light, with the floor I want, and with the bakers table.

• kitchen4champ
    14 years ago

i really struggled to find the right white (though I knew I wanted white, I didn't want anything super white). We ended up with a mix of 50% "base white" and 50% swiss coffee. I'd say it's a little brighter than I'd wanted, but very nice. A friend just used Benjamin Moore's Elmira White, which is taupey and warm and is very happy.

• cawaps
    14 years ago

Why don't you look at pinks with a pink-peachy undertone, like opal or pink damask? If my monitor is rendering your island properly, it is turquoise, and it's complement would be an orange-red or coral color (coral and turquoise pair beautifully in jewelry). The trick would be picking a color with those undertones that doesn't scream "pink!" when applied to a large surface (and I'm not sure the colors I suggested meet the bill, they're just off the cuff suggestions.)

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Glacier white or swiss coffee or sebring. But have an open mind when you get there and take everything you think is close.

Be aware that BM has very few colors in sample pots. If they have no pots, ask for the larger sample cards (~ 4 x 6 inch) you can get for free.

• prill
    14 years ago

YEA! You're going with the birch or teak... I'm so glad.

I have White Dove - it's way whiter in my kitchen than I would have liked. In some lights, I catch a glimpse of the creamier color it should be. I would suggest trying a big sample board painted of whatever colors are your finalists in the end. Jant has SW Dover White - very pretty in her kitchen. Scroll way down and you'll see her kitchen cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: jant's kitchen

• wi-sailorgirl
    14 years ago

Our local BM supplier (our True Value hardware store, actually) will do small sample pints of custom mixed colors for $6, so that's another option.

This is a link that to me better explains how whites work. I have the hardest time with them and recently thought I had chosen the perfect white (Cotton Balls) and now I'm thinking it's too white.

Here is a link that might be useful: How white works

• chris11895
    14 years ago

I also recommend Swiss Coffee for a taupey look. A friend of mine who is a painter once told me that Benjamin Moore's whites tend to have a bluer and cooler undertone and California paints tend to have a warmer (yellow/brown) undertone. You may want to look at California too.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is soooo hard looking at colors on the monitor. DH will be home in 2 weeks and PROMISES that we'll go ahead full force. So, I'd like to get my hands on a sample of red birch plywood, teak plywood, and sample pots of several colors. I don't care if I have to pay a little more to have them mix them. On my monitor the Lancaster Whitewash looks so tan but on cabinets i've looked at online it doesnt'. I do like the Lancaster, Swiss coffee, Elmira White. I also want to get a sample of the Revere Pewter because I was considering that for my walls.

The thing is, I want a casual contemporary kind of look. Nothing formal, traditional, or cottagey. The kitchen is an interior room except for the smallish window that is on the west wall. We do have alot of light coming in from the three windows in the sunroom but the cooktop will be blocked from that. I'm not sure if I'll achieve what I want more with wood or painted cabs. I'd love opinions on that. But... I'll bring my floor sample, the wood samples, and the painted pieces of wood or tagboard too see how each looks in the light in the kitchen and with all the samples and items we have. Our cans are not yet installed so it will be brighter then it is now.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

When I see your room in my head, I see more like this...

Here is a link that might be useful: House of turquoise

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am a little bit of that bmore... my problem is, I'm also a bit of other things as well. My bedroom is something like that. A distressed off white and distressed black with black woven headboard... blueish paint, maple laminate floors. The same bedroom set will go in the other home with the floors shown on the link (using throughout). But I do have the charcoal leather sofa & love seat and the cream/wood dining seat with wood chairs. Lord knows what it's going to come out to be! I appreciate all the help from everyone!

• macybaby
    14 years ago

I was picking out white BM paint today. Last week I had picked out the white to paint my old cabinets that will be going in the laundry room. After looking at the whites I thought I'd end up with the White Dove in the kitchen as it appeared creamy next to the bright white in the samples. I picked out a cooler white (Chantilly lace) for the laundry room, it has just a hint of grey.

But today when I brought in my tile and wall color samples, the White Dove did not look good. My walls are a pale sage color, and next to that the White dove simply looked like a lighter shade of the walls - not near the contrast I was looking for, and did not look "cream". My floor tiles have quite a bit of cream in them. I ended up selection Atrium White which I originally thought looked more "white" than what I wanted, but next to my colors it looks like a bright warm cream where the White Dove looked like a cool white with just a hint of sage.

You just have to see what the whites look like with your colors. With the cool soft blue/greys of my laundry room the White Dove looked cream and the Atrium white looked stark. However with the sage/taupe/cream of my kitchen the Atrium looked warm light cream and the White Dove looked "blah".

Cathy