Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outonalimb_2007

Can't find post anywhere--can I put my oven next to my fridge?

outonalimb_2007
16 years ago

I have just completed an exhaustive search of both this forum and the Appliance forum, as I think I have seen this answered somewhere (and I just got done reading some posts that wonder where people's etiquette went, being too lazy to look it up before asking again). Maybe that post dropped off, as it was some time ago. Anyway, my search being fruitless, I will go ahead and ask -- can I put a wall oven cabinet that will contain a 30" Wolf and an Advantium 120, next to my fridge? I have a landing spot elsewhere but just wonder if the heat from the oven will interfere with the efficient functioning of the fridge? I am not sure whether to post this here or in appliances, but as it is a layout question, I suppose, I'm starting here. Thanks as always --

Comments (15)

• pupwhipped
    16 years ago

I sure hope so. That's what I'm doing. I've seen many pictures of ovens by refrigerators. My KD said it was fine. Unfortunately, I don't like that look, but with the small kitchen I have, we have no other real option.

• alku05
    16 years ago

People do this all the time. The only thing you need to be careful of is making sure the fridge door doesn't hit the oven handle when it's opened. No one wants a dented fridge door.

• susan205
    16 years ago

I have this set up in my current kitchen, and don't like it. When I am entertaining, and the oven and the fridge are used alot, it does seem to interfere with the fridge functioning. It often gets warm enough that the ice maker won't run. I am moving things around a little in my remodel.

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

I had it set-up that way at my last house and it worked just fine and I didn't have any issues with my fridge. It's going to be just like that in my new kitchen too. May have not been my first choice, but we wanted to keep the electrical the same and I didn't care that much.

• luckymom23
    16 years ago

I had this setup in my last house and it wasn't a problem. The oven opened such that it's landing area was away from the fridge and the ice maker was on on the opposite side of the fridge from the oven. We also had a little room between the oven and the fridge that was 'air space' so perhaps the heat could escape better.

• jess111
    16 years ago

*sigh* if I can ever get my stupid double wall ovens installed, they will be next to the fridge ;-) I'm just converting from a range to the cooktop and double wall ovens, so I hope the setup is OK. I really had no other place.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Ovens and fridges should be well enough insulated to have no effect on each other. The cabinet adds even more. I would think if an oven is hot enough to heat a fridge through all those side walls it'd be dangerously hot for the cabinet it's installed in. Maybe you could add insulation in between if you were concerned.

• outonalimb_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. It's a choice between that or putting the wall oven in my island, which creates clearance issues wheven door is opened. It's a small kitchen, I want clearances to be adequate but they are never going to be generous. I will post a layout shortly and ask for feedback-- I'm taking the job over from my forner KD (I think she was fine, but we have decided to go with Ikea cabs, which of course she does not sell), and I am feelng nervous but also exhilerated -- happy to finally have my hands on this project. Thanks to all again --

• maydl
    16 years ago

Like pdxgal, I've had my fridge and wall ovens next to each other for 20 years with no problem. I, too, don't want to change my electrical service for those appliances, so the new ones will occupy the same positions.

That said, you should be sure to e-mail customer service of the company that manufactures your new refrigerator and ask what their policy is regarding ovens and refrigerators next to each other. GE customer service told me it would void the refrigerator warranty. KA customer service told me the warranty would still be in effect, but they recommended 3 inches between the appliances if it was possible. I am going with the KA built-in side-by-side, and I have their answer IN WRITING (love e-mail!) regarding this appliance issue.

FYI: When I asked GE customer service by telephone whether their policy was "carved in stone", they said yes. But their own marketing brochures have at least two photographs where their ovens and fridges are right next to each other!

• arc1017
    16 years ago

Yes...we have this set-up! Dacor wall oven/micro next to SZ 736TCI. No problems whatsoever, and I think lynneinnewmexico has this too!

• terible
    16 years ago

You all must be the type that doesn't mind people in the kitchen when you cook. I can't wait to move my range futher away from the frig. Of course part of the problem is the corner separating them, people get in my bubble.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

I had it, and hated it. The refrigerator doors interferred with the oven doors-- couldn't open both at the same time.

Dinner was often ruined, or nearly ruined, when one of the kids would *have* to get in the refrigerator while something was being broiled in the oven. Frige door would close the partially open oven door without anyone even noticing.

Even when not broiling, it's inconvenient when you can't access your appliances as you please-- a constant but low level irritant. As dinner is going to the table, you'll very frequently want to take out the roast while a helper looks for salad dressings, etc.

I suppose it's less the placement than the interference factor. A narrow spacer or different refrigerator hinge might might improve things.

Plus, it robbed both appliances of any sort of landing zone.

If it's the only way to fit stuff in, fine. But I'd try to avoid it if at all possible. I'd try very, very hard.

• outonalimb_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all for your responses. The landing spot for the fridge will be an island, 48" away; the landing spot for the fridge is right next to it (plus the island will be there too). I will definitely watch the clearance issue -- thank's, Oryboris, for illustrating that down side so well. I don't have a better spot, so I am hoping this will be good enough considering all the other space considerations.

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

I have this set up and it is pretty common from what I've seen. It isn't a big deal.

• lisa_sandiego
    16 years ago

I had no choice. But it hasn't been a problem.