Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vonlake_gw

Wavy walls/ horizontal plaster bulges

vonlake
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
First time homeowner here with a old victorian twin (semi- detached) built around 1902.
My walls are mostly plaster ( some were replaced with drywall before I bought the home). My issue is that a couple of the upstairs plaster walls are what I'd like to describe as "wavy". You can see the horizontal outline of the lath bulging out slightly. This is both the walls in the hallway, one of which I share with my neighbor. The plaster is not cracked at all but is just unsightly, especially when light is shined on it. I do have an attic directly above and those plaster walls do not have the same issue.
The walls have been the same since I bought the home a year ago so it's not a new issue.
I haven't been able to find much info on what could be causing this issue or how to fix it.
Any ideas? I'd prefer not to replace the plaster if I don't need to.

Comments (9)

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Check out this discussion of plaster washers for the type of repair you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plaster washers

• civ_IV_fan
    9 years ago

i have really learned to love my plaster walls. it is a material unbelievably superior to drywall in terms of sound resistance, durability, and literally giving your house structure. it blows my mind that anyone would rip out plaster and replace it with drywall.

ranting aside (i know you didn't suggest such a thing!);
    the trade-off is that the walls are rarely perfectly uniform and repairing them requires a fair amount of patience and knowledge of rarely used products.

youtube fortunately offers a wealth of information on using plaster washers or even injecting adhesive. people have come up with some pretty creative ways to deal with plaster.

these are projects and you should give yourself appropriate time and prepare your workspace accordingly. it would be easy to spend a couple weekends getting it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYSQBH5rbmU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuj_1jhizt4

• vonlake
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the replies! I have attached a picture , which I took from my phone so I hope everyone can see it.

I've figured this wouldn't be a quick project however I do want to ( finally) paint my upstairs so I will have to get started soon. I'm quickly learning how long diy projects can take with the rest of life's obligations ( I've been refinishing my heart pine stairs for what seems like forever). This project will be next on the list.

Any additional info after seeing the pic is appreciated.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Check out the link I provided, if you haven't already.

• vonlake
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jmc01- I did, thanks for the link.. Looks like a good place to start.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

It's an old house. Wavy plaster is part of the charm.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

2-coat plaster sometimes telegraphs every lath behind it; as already stated, often the best 3-coat work was reserved for the front "company" rooms when money was tight.
    If the striations are horizontal all up & own the wall(s)and tapping it does not sound too hollow (not loose/spongy IOW), I'd live with it unless you have a plasterer in the family.
    Casey

• Vanessa Marie
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@vonlake 6 yrs later I'm curious how you went about your issue with the walls, did you ever find the actual reason, did more appear, are they on your ceiling as well? I'm having a similar problem but it's way more complicated and it's driving me crazy to know what's going on with my plaster walls and ceiling, no one seems to know and not water damage