Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zen4d

How do you search/buy from Craigslist?

zen4d
10 years ago

What is your practice with Craigslist - scan ads daily?

This post was edited by zen4d on Sun, May 11, 14 at 4:22

Comments (16)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I use the search function, and I use multiple different search terms since some folks don't know what they have or call it something different than what I would call it. So for instance I might search "coffee table", Labarge, and brass each separately. If there is something I really want I search most days.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

zen, go into your CL, and in the "search craigslist" box, type "LaBarge coffee table." I would say, yes ,check every day, or every other day. It cannot hurt to offer a lower price if you think what their asking is too high. If you LOVE the table and know it's "the one", can't hurt to make an offer, but grab the table regardless. The key to shopping on CL is patience. It's mostly junk on there, but every once in a while, a gem shows up.

You can also narrow searches by clicking on "by owner" and "has photo" and get rid of the other stuff.

I would also check out eBay.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I look every day, and since I work from home, sometimes several times a day! I am not looking for anything specific, and even check the free section, as I like to re-do things I get from CL.

nhbabs is right when she says that people often describe something incorrectly, or they don't know they have a LaBarge item. Or, there are spelling errors. You might look for 'brass glass table'.

I might negotiate, but often, things I see are are great prices already. If the price is way high, I don't bother checking, as the person probably isn't educated on what the item would truly bring.

If you see something you want, don't hesitate to contact the seller. Many of us CL fans can tell you that even if we emailed quickly, if it is a popular item, you might be 4th in line to go see it. Good luck!

Also check eBay, as there are some there, and if you are local to one, you can pick it up.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

LaBarge coffee tables on eBay

Here is a link that might be useful: LaBarge coffee tables.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, all. Tibbrix, that was so helpful; thanks.

• annac54
    10 years ago

With almost every item I've listed on CL, buyers have come back and offered a lower price. We've taken it sometimes, sometimes not if it's really below what the item's worth.

I've bought a few items, and if I really wanted the item, have negotiated the price down once I was there and saw it. Others have been priced low enough that I didn't bother. I felt they were worth the asking price. It's sort of up to you and how much are comfortable paying for an item, and how much you like to "haggle" :)

• dorothy9_gw
    10 years ago

I found a table on eBay listings posted by Tibbrix by jeffflek for $125 that I bought on Houston Craigslist for $30.00 my table measures 34X26
    Hope this helps you find a table.
    dorothy

• camlan
    10 years ago

I agree that you'll need to use a couple of different search terms. When I was looking for a headboard for a double bed, I think I used: full headboard, double headboard, full bed, double bed.

I have sold some things on Craigslist and nearly everyone starts off by offering a lower price, so don't be afraid to haggle a bit. But some people do have an inflated idea of what their used stuff is worth, so they might not want to bargain back and forth with you. Then you have to decide if you want to pay their price or wait for a different piece to come along.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

dorothy9 makes a valid point. You can, in most instances, do better price wise on CL than on eBay. However, if availability is an issue, there's eBay. Also, eBay sellers are MUCH more ethical, honest, etc., than are CLers. If you find one on CL you like, when you go to look at it, go over it with a fine-tooth comb.

• camlan
    10 years ago

With Ebay, you get more buyer protections, especially if you pay with PayPal. With Craigslist, you get the chance to see the item in person and check for hidden damage, etc.

If Ebay sellers were all that ethical, Ebay wouldn't have had to add so many layers of buyer protection.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

That's an interesting statement Tibbrix, I've bought (and sold) on both ebay and craigslist.

I have never considered the sellers being more ethical or honest on ebay.

Why do you say the craigslist sellers are less ethical?

When searching CL, I always search by owner, with pictures and just a few words describing what I'm looking for.

My best deals are the CL buys.

ML

• zen4d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All great and very helpful advice. Thank you.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Zen, eBay also has some Eames Lounge chairs (for your reading room!). May still be out of your budget, but less than retail. stay away from the ones that say, "Eames STYLE".

Here is a link that might be useful: Eames lounge chairs.

• zen4d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix: There are at least 2 different zens. I saw the post on the other zen's reading room. Those Eames chairs look so comfy! Shocked to see one listed for just under 900 on eBay. Wonder what it will actually sell for.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

OH! I thought you were him.

The Eames chairs listed for under $900 are not authentic Eames chairs. You'll notice in the description, those say "Eames Lounge STYLE chair." That's why I wrote to stay away from those. It looks to me like you won't get a real Eames for under $3,000.

• jules8
    10 years ago

I use Tinkomatic. It makes it very easy to save multiple searches all on the one page.
    I am searching for an Ethan Allen American Impressions tall dresser. In early January, I missed one by a few hours because I was doing individual searches on Craigslist. Now I check my Tinkomatic page a few times per day. When a sale appears I can pounce on it right away!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinkomatic