Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

CL - corner table instead of chair?

User
15 years ago

I don't know why I do this. I really don't know why I do this.... cyber slap me.

I have this victorian chair in the corner. I like the chair but think something else would look better. I saw this corner table on CL today and am considering.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

(there's different stuff on the buffet now)

{{!gwi}}

I'll add that that victorian chair is more for pretty because the leg had a crack in it. The Bombay table is "almost new" and doesn't have drawers (just for pretty) and there's a small crack in the leg but they're saying it's been repaired and you'll never notice. It's 31" H and the sides are 16" (I guess they mean depth)

{{!gwi}}

They're asking $50 for it and I don't know that it's worth that much?

What do you think about the location and price? Or should I just keep my eyes peeled for something else?

Comments (17)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Well, I'm a bit torn, but will post my initial reaction, as I think gut feelings are usually best. ;-)

I think the corner table would seem like another "landing strip for stuff", which is more or less the purpose your lovely buffet already serves. Not that there's anything wrong with a "landing strip for stuff" -- I just don't think you need another one in this space. I like the idea of something different, such as your chair, in the corner instead of another table.

Oh, and for a "repaired" secondhand Bombay piece, I think $50 is a tad high.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

I would rather see a table there than the chair. It looks a little odd to have a chair there as it's definitely not a place where someone would actually sit. What I think would look best is a tall (artificial or real) plant to fill the space.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm..

Jen - Good point about another landing strip for stuff. That's originally why I put a chair there. There was already a lot of wood on that side.

K9arlene - You make a good point too. My last post when I hung that picture someone mentioned the two looked separate. There was nothing to tie them together. Problem is there's not enough room to add a plant or something with the chair there.

Since I'm still just as unsure as I was, at this point I think I'm going to wait until I figure out what I want to put in that area.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

shee, I love the little table, but think it would be lost in that corner by itself. I just had a thought. What about your little round marble table in that corner with a plant on top? Just a thought.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Wait for it! You will find something just right for that corner on CL. I wouldnt pay more than $10-15 for a repaired Bombay table. I dont think it would do your lovely buffet and the mirror that I covet justice! Keep looking I think!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bru - I just was coming back to post that same idea abou the marble stand!! It would be different and it's not wood. What size plant do you stick on a table that size? Here it is. Sorry to those who are sick of seeing my house!
    I would move the chair if I used the marble stand there.
    {{!gwi}}
    Cooper - That's around the price I was thinking. I'll wait!

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Sheesharee,

I too, think that a leafy plant would be much prettier in that corner, other than another table or a chair that no one uses. Something like the plant that jjam has on the table in front of the window in her first living room photo would be the right size and height to look attractive in that spot, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: plant on table in front of window

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

shee I like the chair there for now with the marble top stand.I like it with a vintage book or two on it for now. When you get just the perfect table, then you can move the chair and marble top somewhere else. More fun that way!

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

My vote is to remove the chair and the table and replace them with a tall, leafy plant to fill the space. Something like a palm tree.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

That's the only marble table you have? I thought it was larger, sorry, I wouldn't recommend that one in that space.

I just had a thought, instaed of a table or plant, what about a corner curio that could show case some of your nice decorative items? I recommend this only because I'm visualing a tall item to fill the corner and that came to mind.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

My vote is to remove the chair and the table and replace them with a tall, leafy plant to fill the space. Something like a palm tree.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I took some pics of stuff I had around the house for an idea.

This plant and stand were in the LR and I like them better there.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    Here's that marble stand which is too short. (Where do you put something like this anyhow?)
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    I don't really want to do a palm just because I have one in the LR.

Should it be a potted floor tree? Something on a shorter stand like in Jjam's pic? (from above link)

I like those tall topiary type trees from Michaels? Not sure how tall they are.

Something should go in that corner because it looks bare, right?

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Shee,
    I like that taller plant stand & plant there.

Do you have room in a bathroom for the chair? That would be a darling chair in a bathroom with a stack of fluffy towels!!

Another option is a coat rack for that corner for guest to hang their purses/coats when they enter (they don't have to see what's stored in the coat closet!!)

Smiles:)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Oh, I think the taller plant stand is perfect there.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

Yes, I think it should be a tall potted floor tree. Just try the palm from your living room there to give you an idea. I can see it in the distance in one of your previous photos. I'm not sure it's even in the best place now. It seems kind of squeezed in back there.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

The taller table and plant are perfect. I have to say it again, I'm amazed your cats let you have these things. A dangling plant. Lordy, that would last as long as it would take me to turn my back on it. LOL I can't even have a hanging plant over a counter where they can jump up and grab it. No kidding, they are bad.

The coat rack is also a good idea if you don't have a closet in that area.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scooby - I don't have a place in the bathrooms. I don't know that I'm ready to part with the chair yet. Although, I guess it's kind of silly to keep something you don't use. (Remember the leg..I wouldn't recommend sitting on it) It'll probably go in one of the bedrooms for now.

Well the majority is saying the plant stand with the little plant. You guys really like that better there than in the LR huh? Is the picture height still ok?

I will try the palm there to get an idea of what a tree/potted plant would look like. I think I need to get used to seeing something other than the chair there.

Brutuses - I guess I'm pretty lucky with the kitties. The one really likes dried flowers. Growing up my Mom had some that were always torn apart by Mossimo. I used to have a big problem with Sylvester shredding his teeth on rugs. He grew out of that! Gizmo is a little more trying but my only complaint with her is her claws when she bounces around on my furniture like a trampoline! There's a couple of pull threads I need to fix on my sofa. They all like my fingernail files and go nuts while I'm doing my nails.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County