Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louislinus

How do I get back my pink bathtub?

louislinus
9 years ago

Hi all! We recently moved into a 1942 brick colonial. Today I removed the shower doors and discovered a pink porcelain tub! I love love love it. Now how do I get the finish off and get my pink back? I have been using a scraper to get the caulk off from the shower and it seems to only be one thin coat as it is coming off with the scraper but it would take forever to do that to the entire tub. Any suggestions?

Comments (32)

• lucybcstx
    9 years ago

Great tub! I hope you can get it back!

Looks as though it was reglazed with epoxy with the shower doors in place.

If that's so, the epoxy coating can be removed with paint stripper. I had that done on a tub that needed a recoat with epoxy.

Is the coating thin? Like a coat of paint?

Try taking some off with a single-edged razor blade. I'd start at the edge where your pink is showing through. That will tell you if it is an epoxy coating.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I hope you think it over for some time before you begin removing the white.Chances are the pink tub was stained or chipped.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes the coating is very thin and I was able to easily scrape some off. I also spoke to the previous owner and she was so mad! I guess she loved that pink tub and the realtor made her paint it white. If only I'd looked at the house first. She said the tub is perfect. I completely believe her because her and her husband were meticulous. My kids and large dogs are working hard to undo all their good deeds. ;)

Someone recommended Citristrip so I think I'll try that.

• lucybcstx
    9 years ago

Good news!

Please post when it's all done, I'm looking forward to seeing it in all its pink glory.

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago

This thread needs to be saved, and reposted EVERY TIME someone in the real estate or the home dec forum asks about resale value of a pink tub. For the umpteenth time: there is no such thing as a "bad" color. Color is all about what other colors are around it, and reflecting off of it. Even pink can look very handsome and not the least bit girly if you use the right colors for the rest of the room (browns, ivories, etc.)

Keeping fingers crossed that the refinisher did a lousy job in prepping it prior to painting and that the surface is still shiny and smooth. Usually what they do is sand or etch the surface so the paint adheres better.

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Hey, check out http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/

Many people were in your place. They can help-- good luck I applaud what you are doing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Campaign to save the pink bathrooms

• foodfiend_gardener
    9 years ago

AWESOME!!! :D

Did you hand-paint the wallcovering. or hire someone?

Wow... ;)

• rosemaryt
    9 years ago

Hand painted.

Every little doodad was drawn (from a template I made).

Details are at that link. :D

It was great fun.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I hope you can save that tub!

Rosemary, you're crazy. I approve. That's wonderful.

(Anyone know where one can find a low-flow pink toilet, by any chance?)

• foodfiend_gardener
    9 years ago

Rosemary, that wallcovering embellishment is incredible, congrats on a great job!

• rosemaryt
    9 years ago

Hi Foodfiend, I apologize for not answering your question above. Yes, I did the work myself. Honestly, I wish the job could have gone on for longer. It was SOOOOO much fun and very therapeutic and calming.

To the original poster - I wouldn't hesitate to get that tub restored to its original pink grandeur, even if it took you many hours. It'll be worth it! :D

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Rosemaryt
    That really made my day. What a great tribute to the sputnik/atomic-age era.
    And another pink tub not only saved, but enshrined.
    Casey

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Louislinus, how is it coming?

• rosemaryt
    9 years ago

Thanks, Casey.

I'm a big fan of the 1950s, and all things pink! :D Wish I could find some pink appliances!

I would also like to hear an update on this pretty, pretty pink tub!

What's the latest?

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for checking in! Sorry it took me so long to respond. I need help! I did the citristrip and it worked some but now I'm left with this. :/ I want so badly to go over it with 000 steel wool but I'm sure that will scratch it. What do I use next? I've done the citristrip twice. Can I use Bar Keepers Friend? What else?

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I would find someone who has had experience in painting ceramic or china - like a professional painter, or someone who actually refinishes tubs and sinks. My friend did this for a living for awhile.

• User
    9 years ago

Looks like it's really getting there! Have you tried Mr. Clean magic erasers in getting the last bits? I've also found them to be fantastic for reviving supposedly-stained-forever porcelain tubs. Good luck!

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I just remembered there is a product called "Oops". It's used by painters to remove even old, dried paint on surfaces. I tried it on my wood floor in the bedroom that used to be my uncles workshop. Hence, paint spots, including a nice big red one. These paint spots were probably 50yrs.old and with persistence, Oops lifted them up. Only it was more than likely latex or oil, not sure what type of paint would be on the tub but it's worth looking at.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Before you do steel wool (which I can't say wouldn't damage the surface) try the blue scotch sponges... Or, have you tried that already?

• ingeorgia
    9 years ago

My son owns a refinishing business, his opinion is, from looking at the photo, the tub has been acid etched which permanently ruins the surface.
    They do this so the new finish will stick. If you can find a refinisher that can/will match the color you can have it recoated. The trick will be finding someone who can do the pink. My son says if it wasn't acid etched you would be able to remove that white coating easily.
    HTH and good luck ! I love the pink too.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I would use a stronger stripper to finish the job. Kutzit is my go-to stripper. Wear gauntlet gloves and a VOC respirator mask.
    Whey not have a tub refinisher come in and clear-coat it once you get the white completely gone? Then it will have a smooth surface again. They must make some clear finish that is certified for wet areas.
    Casey

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Another thing realtors suggest that owners do for resale is paint the wood trim white. ARRGGGHHHH! It can be removed, but it is a HUGE job!

• polly929
    9 years ago

Hi did you try bar keepers friend? We have a similar tub in whit that had awful rust stains, I had it reglazed in white and DH cleaned it once with bar keepers friend and the glaze began peeling off in sheets! Not what we desired to do but maybe it may be a solution for you. Good luck.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your tips! I have gotten some more of the paint off but it is still far from perfect. just keep scrubbing just keep scrubbing just keep scrubbing.....

• Ninkasi
    7 years ago

Just wanted to see if you were successful here? How does the tub look today?

• Gargamel
    7 years ago

I'm curious too

• louislinus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It looks basically the same. It is just not salvageable. :( I am going to have it either repainted white or just replaced when we we redo that bathroom. so sad.

• mercurygirl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The resurfacing pros in my area state that they use standard colors, but can match to other colors, such as tiles. Perhaps that might be a solution for you.

• Debbie Downer
    7 years ago

Old thread but no one mentioned that the refinishing process involves roughing up the surface so the white paint adheres - so even if paint was taken off entirely would still be in rough shape. Its really sad, esp since some low-information realtor probably advised the seller to do it under the mistaken idea that no one would like a pink tub. Au contraire.

• Michelle Greenbaum
    6 years ago

I know this is an old thread... but if you still have a chance try oven grill cleaner. Not the fume-free type, but the extra strength heavy duty kind with the yellow cap. It removes all kinds of paint and enamel.

• Michelle Greenbaum
    6 years ago

(Easy-off with the yellow cap or the wal-mart brand equivalent. I've successfully used both for similar tasks). I removed some white on white glaze in my 1924 bathtub with it successfully. You have to let it sit a while and it may require several applications but it makes the glaze get gummy and come off eventually. The fumes are TERRIBLE though.