Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherash8210_gw

1960's home with no architecture

Heatherash8210
12 years ago

I have decided to go with white shaker inset doors, soapstone/honed granite, hardwood floors, and subway tile. I know when remodeling you want to keep the integrity of your home, and make your new kitchen fit in with the rest of your house.

Well my house was built in the 60's and one could say it's a colonial but it really is just a 2 story home with no architecture at all.

I don't want people to walk in and think that it's a pretty kitchen it just doesn't fit witht the home.

My question really is: do you think a kitchen that looks very traditional would look right for a home built in the 60's. I am getting pro style appliances to make the kitchen look more transitional than traditional. Please give your honest answer. I love the OTK kitchens.

Comments (9)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

It sounds as if you are going with something that is a fairly contemporary/transitional interpretation of kitchen, so my feeling is that it will fit in.

(Its not strongly Arts and Crafts or English or French Country or some historical style, in other words: it's a mix of what people are doing right now.)

• powermuffin
    12 years ago

It sounds like you want a classic kitchen design that would work in lots of homes. Since your house isn't a mid-century modern design, go for it!
    Diane

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I'm not a fan of the OTK in a '60s ranch. It's an Edwardian look. White kitchens certainly can be done, but I think some pieces of the kit (subways) should be swapped out.

Take a look at this thread.

• abbeys
    12 years ago

I understand what you are saying about the 60's home with little architectural detail. Our house was designed in 1969 and built in 1970 - we have some of the same issues. Our house had almost nothing in terms of interior trim or detail. Just adding bigger mouldings around doors, windows, baseboards, etc.. has made a noticable difference. We prefer more classic style, but didn't want our house to look like Epcot Center ("you're now leaving Japan and entering Germany. The re-enactment of 'The Beatles' is playing next door in England."). The remodeling we've done has been more "transitional without frills". I think so far it's worked well. If your house is a 60's version of Colonial, what you are describing should fit in nicely. I really like all the finish choices you are describing - it sounds terrific.

• User
    12 years ago

I suggest you do more research about mid century styles before you declare that your home has no architecture. Minimalism isn't a "lack of architecture". It's just different architecture. Usually based on simplicity. The OTK does NOT fit well into a home of this style. Yes, you can do a white kitchen, but it should be more contemporary than the traditional vibe you're trying to fit in. There's nothing worse than someone shoehoring crown molding and ornate ceiling medallions into a simple mid century home.

• Heatherash8210
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for all the reassurance. Our house is pretty plain. When we moved in we ripped out all the wallpaper, tore up rust shag rug and painted all the trim white. The trim made the house look much more fresh looking. We have a fireplace in our living room. I love the brick some days, and hate it other days. I think when we finally do our kitchen renovation the brick will not look old anymore.
    Marcolo- I have been debating switching out the subway for a soft colored mosaic tile or something with a soft color palate. I think I will wait till the end of our Reno to choose a backsplash.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

If you could post some pictures that would be great.

I think the other observations are correct that you may want to tweak the plan based on what your house looks like. A lot of things get called "Colonial" in Realtor-speak.

On the other hand a pure MCM house that is part of a development is very rare in some parts of the country,(Eichler, Neutra, etc. notwithstanding) and there is usually some fairly traditional detailing tacked on the midcentury house from the get-go...so you may be dealing with a fairly transitional house to begin with.

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I say get the kitchen you want! Few of us live in our dream home architecture. I'm a modern gal but live in a tract colonial. We just redid our kitchen and no way was i doing a traditional kitchen, even though traditional would go more with the house. I was spending too much $ not to get what I wanted.

• trilliumgreen
    12 years ago

Something that I really enjoyed about the 60s DAT thread is that it illustrated that one could go in a variety of directions with a kitchen remodel and still have it fit the house.

We recently purchased a very plain mid 60s house, and since it had very little architectural detail, I was approaching it as a carte blanche to do what I wanted. I have had a change of heart recently, and feel like the mid century elements that it does have (like the asymmetrical roman brick fireplace) is something to appreciate rather then cover-up.

Even though it is geared towards ranch homes, I think you might enjoy a thread over on the home decorating forum. There is a white kitchen in a mid century ranch shown.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of small ranch houses (60s or 70s) thread