Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbimc

update cabinets

debbimc
15 years ago

Any ideas on what to do with my stained oak cabinets to give them an updated look? my husband would require CPR if I mentioned painting them..what about glaze or something similar?

Comments (20)

• monaw
    15 years ago

You'd have to do a clear primer over them to make a glaze stick. That's a tuffy...I painted my old oak cabinets and they look a trillion times better. Lots of work but well worth it. Stained oak is very outdated. (and dreary) lol- the best advice I could give you is to send you're husband on a trip and paint them while he's gone!

• choochnbob
    15 years ago

I like monaw's idea- send him, and the kids if you have any, on a trip. Crank the music , eat take out, and get to work painting your cabs!
    I'm in the midst of painting mine now ...and yes...he would require CPR! It certainly is a ton of work.

If painting is completely out of the question then new pulls and maybe a new paint scheme...on the walls and new coordinated accessories...will at least give it a fresher feel. Maybe adding crown molding and furniture looking feet and skirt, perhaps in a darker stain, might update it a little. Or perhaps replacing some of the door panels inserts might be an option.
    Good luck.

• chuckwagon
    15 years ago

Well, I'm giving in and am planning on painting our cabinets. My husband has been wanting too but I've been the one holding back. I want a complete reface job but for now I will go with paint. My problem is that the doors are a flat slab with only a rounded edge. What can I do to update that look? Is adding moulding a possiblity?
    Here are a few pictures.

Thanks for any ideas.

• biddlebeach
    15 years ago

I would go with white to match your trim, that is beautiful. and I think I would like it to stay rather plain, you can always add some painted decor on the door faces. I would think molding for all of those doors could be quite costly. just my humble opinion.

• mjsee
    15 years ago

You know...new pulls and a new laminate counter would go a LONG way to change the look of that kitchen...

Here are some flat slab cabs painted white:

Before--with the old hardware (the cabs really ARE white):

From fall photos and pink bathroom

After, with new Hardware, new white paint:

From fall photos and pink bathroom

Yes, that's the same bathroom. Yes, that's the same tile. No, the lighting isn't different. I promise! The difference isn't so much that the white paint is different...it's that the hideous pink walls are gone.

Please ignore the little black foam thingy on the sink handle...that was an improvised painting tool that I stuck there to dry...and forgot.

• chuckwagon
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input. I am definitely getting new countertops. By painting the cabinets, it may allow me to get quartz. I can't decide. I may just go with some Wilson Art laminate. We will be changing the hardware also. Will it look plain jane to have no moulding? We have 27 doors. I don't want to go over board, but I don't want to look just plain either. The moulding is not that pricey.

What are your thoughts on the moulding?

I could do it an inch or so from the curved edge or would you go with a wider moulding and do it next to the curved edge.

Thanks!

• choochnbob
    15 years ago

I happen to like your cabinets the way they are- they are unique and clean looking. I almost think adding the trim will cheapen their unique design. Maybe paint one and see how it looks before you decide on adding the trim. I'm in the middle of painting my cabs now ( oak raised panel) and boy I like the look of yours as far as the task of painting- much easier to paint than if you add the trim. Something to think about. Of course if you want the glazed look then maybe you need the trim for the glaze to stick into the crevices. But don't get me started on glazing...I'm having a heck of a time getting it right. Good luck!

• kakimoto
    15 years ago

I was going to say the same thing as choochnbob, yours look MUCH easier to paint then my raised panel doors. I just did a small bathroom vanity in a deep chocolate color. The flat end panel and frame look fantastic if I do say so myself. The raised panel doors look good, but there are definitely many painting mistakes in all of the little crevices. Still trying to debate if I want to tackle the kitchen.

• never_ending
    15 years ago

Deb- look into gel stain, that you paint and leave on. Very easy to do, but only allows you to go darker. Gel stain will also need a coat of poly over it once you get a color you like to protect the cabinets.

Chooch and Chuck-(sounds like Cheech and Chong but only with a Gardenweb twist!)

=) I have painted my kitchen cabinets in every house I've ever lived, the flat paneled ones did move much faster than the raised panels. It is SO well worth the effort you won't be sorry! New countertops will make a huge difference too, but you will be surprised how different lighter cabinets look and give you so many more options for decor. I would try leaving them as flat panels to begin with and change out your hardware and THEN go from there. It would be very doable later to go back and add molding.

My DH was at first not agreeable to painting cabinets, but I did them myself and over the years he has learned to trust my judgment...after all the kitchen is my domain!

• wickedgrace
    15 years ago

My DH was not thrilled about painting the cabinets either. It took 10 yrs to talk him into it. It looks so much better! I am linking pics (or trying to at least!) I haven't straightened up because I have other paint projects going on. I am not uusually this messy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wickedgrace's painted cabinets

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

wickedgrace, those came out so well!

I think we are going to get new doors and hinges and paint. We have the flat doors very similar to the OP, but they are already painted a dirty cream color.

• denali2007
    15 years ago

Wickedgrace
    can you share what color you painted your cabinets? They look great.

• debbimc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Never -ending, Our house is 7 years old--I could shoot myself for not painting in the beginning. I guess I was overwhelmed w/ so many decisions. I really don't want to go darker but the gel is a good idea. GOSH, I am not sure I am up to so much work!! Wht is the prep process to paint them--do you have to remove the finish with what? etc?

• never_ending
    15 years ago

Debbi, I'm sure you have already done a search for painting kitchen cabinets but here is a link if you haven't. There is so much good info out there, it may be worth your time to search through and see what is recommended for brands in your area. I won't lie, it is time consuming, certainly not a weekend job but doable. The kitchen I have now can be done in 2 weeks, doing "something" each day. Kinda like "How do you eat an elephant?"...one bite at a time! And I've always done it with small kids around during the weekends or working by myself at night after they were asleep.

1. Take off doors and remove hardware- if you need to, label them.

2.Take doors and drawers outside to sand. Sand cabinet frames. Sand only enough to degloss the finish so your primer adheres.

3. Wipe down all of your sanded areas so they are dust free.

4. Make a place you can lay out the doors to work on. I often take books on a covered dining room table and put my doors on top of the books so I can also paint around the edges without having to pick up the door to get at them. I also will use two ladders with boards, small occasional tables etc. so I can have them all laid out so they each get a coat of primer/paint at the same time. There have been times I got up in the morning and scooted them out of the way depending on what was going on in our lives at the time and other times I left the whole shebang set up.

5. Buy a good primer, coat once, let dry.

6. Apply first coat of of good semi-gloss paint, let dry.

*** At this time your doorless cupboards will now cause you to straighten and organize them between coats !!!

7. Apply second coat of paint, let dry.

8. Assess doors. Do they need a third coat? Will you poly over them for extra protection. Usually for me 2 to 3 coats were enough, but this last time I did poly over them and have been pleased with how they clean.

9. Let dry completely.

1. Put hardware back on and hang.

A lot of work- yes- but in a monotonous time consuming way.
    I am the sort who will work on a project in every spare bit of time to get it done so we can get back to normal. Truly it is very rewarding and IF you know in your heart you want them painted it won't be as awful as you think! = )

Here is a link that might be useful: painting cabinets

• wickedgrace
    15 years ago

Denali- The paint is SW Ivoire in ProClassic Satin (oil). I amp painting the adjoining family room SW Blonde which is one shade below on the color strip. Changing the hinges was difficult because nothing lines up in an older house but very worth it!

• choochnbob
    15 years ago

Debb-
    I have a useful guide (pdf file)to painting cabs. Email me if you want it.
    I agree with never_ending - the work isn't hard but it is time comsuming and monotonous but WOW- big diifference. I'm not done yet (kids' school vacation slowed me down considerably) but I love what is done so far. I felt like I just couldn't live with the stained oak a minute longer so no matter the effort, the painting is worth it to me. And I'm learning a lot in the process (by adding trim in addition to painting) and I always like that.
    Good luck!

• monaw
    15 years ago

I painted kitchen cabs just like that. (no trim on them) They had those same hinges on the outside, too, as well as exact edges. I painted off-white and we found some hinges practically same color as paint. You will have to change hinges or they will really show up in a bad way if you go lighter.
    I like the look without added trim, too. I don't see rounded trim on there...but I can see flat trim. ( May have to reposition hardware holes for that...) Might have a Mission/cottage style look. I saw them redo some cabs on HGTV that had ugly recessed panels that were rounded at the top (Spanish style) and they took thin square boards and just nailed it over the whole recessed part. Looked great and very clean. Good luck!
    Also would be nice to see a combo of knobs mixed in for your drawers. We did that to ours by filling the two drawer holes and drilling a single hole instead. Looks nice. I painted both sides of doors and also inside of cabs. One coat Zinser oil primer and two coats Ben Moore Impervo with added Penetrol.
    Flat paint by removing doors, elevate from work surface to paint and dry.
    Durable too-still looks new after 7 years!

• never_ending
    15 years ago

Chooch please be sure to show them off when you are done, I know you will be so happy!

• bop28
    15 years ago

I am in the middle of painting 1950's wooden [not oak]kitchen cabinets and have possibly run into a problem. This is what we've done:
    Sanded all gloss off. Tack cloth. Primed with glossy surface, stain blocking valspar primer. Here's the problem. I just noticed a yellowy orangy stain coming up through the wet primer!!!! What the heck is that? Do I continue with another coat of primer or the 1st coat of paint or God forbid, start over?? Please help.

• sooze
    8 years ago

Chuckwagon, I have those same gawk awful cabinets. I see you're still active on houzz so hopefully get this request. I'd love to see what you did...... 6 years ago to that kitchen. I'm desperate to find a solution to those raised panel cabinets. Thanks!