Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debraw1968

Paint Colours For a Small Retail Store

Debra W
11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I have a small computer store that we are about to move into a larger space. I need to paint before we move in, and am looking for colour suggestions. The new space has good lighting and is an open rectangular area, with fairly high ceilings.

Our current wall colour is something similar to Lenox Tan, perhaps slightly darker. I've forgotten the name of what I used, but it wasn't a BM colour.

I am not sure if I should go with a neutral colour or not. I was also considering a blue, BM Schooner AF 520, but not sure if that would be too much blue. A lot of the products that are on our shelves have blue packaging...think "Microsoft" blue or the blue from "Brother" packaging.

Any ideas?

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I would want to opt for something modern and techie looking....how about a wide stripe or two that went around the room that has an angle or a step in it for energy?

As usual, I can't find a pic of what I have in mind...but here's an alternative...but this is too formal and staid and office looking.

I'm thinking instead of something with higher color contrast....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

More like this, but these colors are too dark...

[Eclectic Bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2104)

• Debra W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm, I've never attempted anything like that. Could it work on just a feature wall? I'll look for more pictures of similar effects. Thanks for the idea.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Yes it could work on just a feature wall. It's easy to accomplish just with painters tape and some careful measuring.

Think about what other colors you have in the space...flooring? cabinets? counters? ceiling? You want to be able to select colors that will work well with all surfaces.

• Debra W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The ceiling is typical 2x4 ft. white tiles, the flooring is a linoleum that is made to look like wood in darker colours of cherry/mahogany (?). We have a bigger U shaped desk in a dark brown/chestnut colour.

Those would be the fixed colours. The shelving and peg board can be painted.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'd suggest asking on the home decor forum as well....

I'd think about painting 3 walls in a soft neutral gray like BM Horizon or gray owl and then paint the 4th wall...probably behind the wall where the desk is or the one that's furthest from the front door and paint it with a strong color....has to be one that you like as it will be prominent in the space... like a BM peacock blue for more energy or BM new hope gray for a more conservative look. You can really put any color with the gray so if there's a color in your logo, this would be the place to add it if you like it. (You can go toward the oranges or the greens or even yellows.) You can then paint it with the stripe of gray at an angle running through the colored wall for more energy.

• Debra W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really appreciate your input and I like your ideas. I have done as you suggested and posted it in the Home Decor section as well.

With your idea of the blue and gray together, I found this on the Benjamin Moore site: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/for-your-home/rooms-by-colour/fresh-modern-living-space

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue/Gray combo