Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freckles81

How quickly can I apply painters tape on a recently painted wall?

freckles81
13 years ago

I painted some walls last night and now I need to apply tape to the walls to paint the crown moulding. Is it too soon? Will the paint peel off with the tape?

Comments (15)

• freckles81
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to say it's Behr satin latex paint.

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

Usually overnight is enough dry time to apply tape. You still should use the 3M blue tape though

• decorativewalls
    13 years ago

well, if you haven't started your painting yet, I would like to emphasize the importance of selecting the correct 3m blue painters tape. JMHO, I would suggest using the delicate low tack which has an orange core and is listed as # 2080. It is exactly for what you are wanting (providing the surface is thoroughly dry). Also, this tape has a very low adhesive but if you want to release some more tack, take the tape and press againist you clothing. This will remove some of the tack as well. Don't worry it is not enough to cause the tape not to stick. The main thing to applying tape is the way a person burnishes the tape anyway.
    good luck :)

• puff_2007
    13 years ago

I used 3m painter's tape (lowest tack possible) and it still pulled paint off. 2 coats paint & 2 coats primer. This was even after waiting a few days. I emailed 3m with no response.

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

Usually, when low tack tape pulls off paint, it's because the paint isn't adhered well. If your initial coat of primer is not adhered, then it may be pretty easy to pull the paint off down past that layer taking all layers of paint on top with it. Also, if you do not score the line between the trim and the wall with a sharp blade or razor knife, you could pull paint off the wall with some paints.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    13 years ago

I used 3m painter's tape (lowest tack possible) and it still pulled paint off. 2 coats paint & 2 coats primer. This was even after waiting a few days. I emailed 3m with no response.

The initial coat of primer was not adhered well. Prepping for painting is the most important step and often over looked.

• decorativewalls
    13 years ago

ditto on everything paintguy and chrisn has mentioned. Again, there are different types of the 3m tape; however you mentioned you used the lowest adhesive. I really honest think it was due to to many layers in such a short time and not fully dry (not cured-because this takes a longer process to completely harden off). How far back did the tape pull off? I leave the 2080 tape up for 3 weeks at a time if I am working on a wall project. Never have had any issues with this tape and the two times I did (I scored first).
    Here is a picture of the tape I honestly think you and others that may see this should use.
    sorry for your mishap. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: 3m-2080 DELICATE BLUE PAINTER'S TAPE

• decorativewalls
    13 years ago

DO NOT USE THIS TAPE NUMBER ON DELICATE SURFACES. IT SHOULD ONLY BE USED ON INTENDED SURFACES. STRONGER TACK .

Here is a link that might be useful: 3M-2090 WHITE CORE-WHITE LABEL-DO NOT USE THIS ONE

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Yes...

USE ONLY the 3M #2080 "Delicate-surface" tape!
    >>> This tape has an orange-band on the packaging. It's easily noticed!

D-walls mentions other very important factors that aren't the tapes fault!!

Another tip:
    >>> Don't get a lot of paint over/onto the tape-edge...
    * Unload most of the paint from roller or brush slightly away from the tape.
    * Bring thin/light passes of paint over to this edge, and brush any paint that's ON the tape into a thin haze.
    * Summarizing...don't have a thick layer on the edge! This increases the paints "wick under" potential, and makes lightly scoring the edge more of a chore.

Faron

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

Generally speaking, I think all of this could have been avoided if you just painted the crown first. Taping off trim is a much better idea than taping off walls. Your chances of pulling paint off the walls are always going to be greater because so many homes these days are primed with cheap builders grade flat paint. Trim is at least primed first usually. I understand the need for a the orange core delicate surfaces tape, but as a painter I really try to avoid using this tape. For one thing, it is expensive. It also has such a low tack, that it may just fall off sometimes. I have taped off baseboards in rooms before and then come back an hour later and all the tape is on the ground. But, it is true that this is a good tape to use when you absolutely have to apply tape to the walls. I just think the best thing to do is paint the trim first, and then tape off the trim with the normal blue tape or even Painters Mate green tape (which is cheaper than 3M).

• PRO
    13 years ago

It also has such a low tack, that it may just fall off sometimes. I have taped off baseboards in rooms before and then come back an hour later and all the tape is on the ground.

Hate that !

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

The reason is because it is safer to tape trim than it is to tape walls. Not only this, but it is easier to end up with a professional looking paintjob when you paint trim first, walls second....but this is a seperate topic. Like I said, trim is usually primed first and walls are many times not primed first so what you may have on the walls is paint that is poorly adhered because primer was not used....thus, it is easier to rip paint off walls because the paint is just simply not stuck.

• PRO
    13 years ago

thus, it is easier to rip paint off walls because the paint is just simply not stuck.

Which is the whole problem from the get go!

• wiggyandtee
    6 years ago

I am not a painter myself but I remember when my sisters painted my bedroom for me 10 years ago. As they were painting, they kept a wet rag in their pocket Anytime they got paint where they didn't want it to be,they wiped it off immediately with the wet rag and the paint came off 100% clean. They also applied the second coat before the first coat was completely dry and I didn't notice any sloppiness about the job. This is how Jehovah's Witnesses get things done so much faster than the rest of the world. I hope they don't mind that I'm giving away their secrets. Lol