Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skypathway

decorating the laundry room

skypathway
16 years ago

I'm thinking seriously of getting rid of my 10 yo washer/dryer and buying stacking front loaders. This will give me room to reorganize the space. I've always had white appliances; when everyone else had avocado and gold I bought white. When almond came in, I had white. Any hooo, I thought it was about time to maybe, just to consider buying something other than white. I see so many gorgeous colors for the w/d - there is a candy apple red that looks so good you want to lick it.

Okay, my question - will it look odd and off balanced to have a colored w/d stacked on one side of the room? I mean this massive color of appliance towering next to white cabinets? Do you have colored appliances and do you find you can decorate the room around them to look warm and inviting? Or should I stick to white yet again. Any pictures you can share?

More info - this is a small mud room/laundry room, pretty tight. I plan to re-organize the cat litter boxes in it. I don't need tons of storage because I have a large coat closet in the hall.

Sky

Comments (34)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Sky, I don't know if it will look unbalanced, but if it does, you can do something to rebalance the room. Did you look at the Laundry Rooms thread in the Gallery? You might get some ideas and answers there.

• annie1971
    16 years ago

I bought my white front loaders about a year before all those gorgeous, fun colors started coming out. My option was graphite (which didn't excite me) or white. Fortunately my white set have black around the windows and on the control panel. My cabinets are white (not beautiful white cabinets; just your run- of-the-mill white melamine).
    I changed the cabinet hardware to black. Put a predominately black runner on the floor and things started to come together. I think you're wise to have them stacked. I'm seriously thinking about doing that too; but it will entail taking out cabinets, etc. Not something I want to get into right now. Homes weren't designed to accommodate the bulging front loaders of today. If there's a way you can get them into your room you're lucky.
    If there's a color you want -- I say go for it and make your laundry room a fun place to be!
    I love my front loaders!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Candy apple red has been a big hit in the schlos household. Please ignore the little Christmas elf blocking the view.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• skypathway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahhh sarschlos_remodeler, that is such a cute picture with your christmas elf LOL dressed to match. I love that color.

Oceanna, wow, you put laundry room pictures in the gallery? I'm heading over there next - you are such a treasure for all those eye candy pictures you added. Thanks.

annie1971, yes I think if I had a choice between white or graphite I might have made the same decision. I like how you tied in the white and black together. Glad to know you love your front loaders. I'm not sure those bulging FL would fit if I didn't stack them on the side where there is more depth of space.

Thanks, Sky

• annie1971
    16 years ago

Exactly, skypathway. If you can stack them -- do it. It's worth the effort and once the machines are in, you'll find your decorating thread. (all those lights flashing and the machines thinking for themselves and telling you when you've created too many suds and now they have to deal with it!!) Amazing.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Sky, yep. Laundry room pictures are in the gallery and I hope everyone here will add their own laundry/mud room pics and also their inspiration pics to that thread.

(^^ hint, hint, everybody ^^)

• skypathway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

annie1971, just to make sure I went into the LR and measured to make certain I could deal with the bulbous FL - and thankfully I have plenty of space. I'm looking forward to having a machine that I can easily stuff my king size comforter in for washing in very hot water. I know, I enjoy such odd and little things like a clean comforter. LOL Even DH is looking forward to this project and he doesn't even do laundry - but he does walk through the mud room every day to and from the car.

Oceanna, yes indeed there were some really cute LR pictures, and one that I remember from here a couple of years ago. Almost everyone had white machines. I think it's time I break free of my white habit and I was really hoping to see more colored machines. I do hope other's add to your post too - I will when I'm finished - I have a long list of things to do and we're slowly getting through it so it will be awhile before it's done.

Sky

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

I'm kind of new here and I can not find laundry room pics. Can someone help me out? I want to do something with mine for an add'l folding area. I thought I could get some ideas. TIA

• littledog
    16 years ago

"...do you find you can decorate the room around them to look warm and inviting?"

I can't think of anything more inviting than a comfortable chair near a cheery fire, with a soft throw, a plush ottoman, a warm cup of chocolate and a good book while someone else does the laundry. ;^)

Other than that, I can't imagine how a candy apple red washer and dryer is *not* going to look fabulous with white cabinets.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Debbie_2008, if you close this thread you will see a list of the threads. Look up at the top of the list on the right and you will see a live link for Gallery. Click on that and you're there.

The Laundry room thread is about 5th up from the bottom... unless someone posts to it, in which case it goes to the top again. While you're there, check out the other fabulous threads and enjoy!

• tisha1553
    16 years ago

I also can't find the laundry room pics and really want to see them.

I also have a utility room with white cabinets and want to get a red W/D b ut have no idea what color to do the walls. Currently, they are light blue and I like the color but don't know if it would match.

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Tisha, please see the post right above yours.

• skypathway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I see I'm not the only one charmed by the gorgeous colors on the washer dryers. As for color, I'm thinking if I get the red I might actually go with a sky blue walls and white cabinets and pick up the red in some accessories - like maybe red cat litter boxes??? LOL

sky

• straitlover
    16 years ago

Sigh ... I wish I had a laundry room! All I have is my little closet in the kitchen w/ the bifold doors w/ my side by side machines and little shelf above.

Love, love, love the red ones!!! Who was it here that recently got 2 sets of the red for her laundry room? That was a great room! Did we ever see it finished???

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

You know, I used to think I wanted a big laundry room, but then we bought a house with a closet with bifold doors off of the family room. And I really like it. I can fold clothes where everyone else is, read a book and I never forget to change the loads because I can hear when it's done since I'm actually in the laundry room. If I had a big ole lanudry room, I know I wouldn't hang out there and I would still have forgotten smelly loads in the washer. The red washer/dryer do give me a nice warm kick when I have to open up the laundry closet, and they make it not so yucky to look at when I'm in the FR, too.

• scarlett2001
    16 years ago

Since I'm the only one who actually uses the laundry room -the rest of the family avoids it like the plague - I decorated it exactly as I wanted to, not worrying in the least how it would look - and it's the nicest room in the house. Go for it!

• User
    16 years ago

Here is mine. I just finished all the decorating last week and now I spend every sunny afternoon sitting out there and enjoying the garden. A bonus is the warmth from the washer and dryer :) ! The w/d are behind folding louvered doors to the right in the room. They were Momma's and are 35 yrs old...if you want to see I will post a pic.

entrance from kitchen area :

new birdhouse bookcase for cookbooks:

doors thrown open to garden:

vintage linens ( my Momma's):

my table ( $40 junk shop find)

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Well, trailrunner. That's cheatin'. That's not a laundry room. That's a craft and gardening room with a gorgeous soapstone utility sink. Now sure if I had a room like THAT to sit and paint in, I would be in there every chance I could get.

• User
    16 years ago

OK Sara here is the real thing that brings me in there LOL...I wish I was able to paint...why don't you come visit and I'll bake you bread while you paint ???Please...

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Trailrunner, what a fantastic laundry room if you can call it that. I love that it opens to the garden.

• skypathway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trailrunner - ohh that sink, that room, that view, that garden. No fair. Ohh, and that doll house turned bookcase. No no fair.

straitlover, that's what I've had for years and maybe in the next place I'll do that again. I don't see the need to have a huge LR when all you need are the machines. Like sarschlos_remodeler, I sort and fold in front of the TV in the family room so I don't need a large LR with space to sort and fold. So don't feel bad about your closet, it's completely functional with no wasted space. BTW years ago I wallpapered my LR closet and in another house I painted it a bold color so you can still have fun with a closet.

scarlett2001 LOL

• User
    16 years ago

Thank you Michelle and Scarlett. Believe me if you could have seen this room before. I'll have to see where the old pic is and post it. There were no french doors and only one small window. There were the 2 skylights but they had blinds on them and the floor had Berber carpet. When we redid the kitchen floor the first time around my floor guy had this old pine panelling from the '40's , an old house demolition. He cut it and made the floor and then sanded it and polyed it. Then the room sat there all these years and the w/d were in the kitchen where the Twins now sit. When we decided to do the kitchen one of my first priorities was to open that room with french doors so I could get light and air into the kitchen , which is in the center of the house. We moved the plumbing and made a new closet for the w/d and I found the ss sink. The room has been waiting for me to figure out what to do for 1 1/2 yrs now ! Then suddenly it all came together over one weekend and a sale that I went to at a friend's shop that was closing. Her bad luck and my good luck.

I was also so glad to have all my Momma's aprons and cookbooks and table cloths etc. She would have loved sitting in the sun and keeping her joints warm with her Kittyboots at her feet and a book in her hands. So this room is really my memory room, I am even still using her w/d....she would really love that. Thanks again for the sweet comments. Caroline

• annie1971
    16 years ago

straitlover:
    One of my favorite laundry areas was behind bi-fold doors next to my kitchen in a little townhouse. We added more shelves across the back with a little bit of hanging space and changed the doors to double louvers. It was always tidy. No clutter from the garage that always seems to find it's way onto my laundry room counter top. No other "project" clutter next to the sink. And the kitchen area has always seemed the most efficient place to put the washer and dryer.

• fairytalebaby
    16 years ago

We ordered the red LG front loaders and I can't wait to use them! They're packed away waiting for us to move in. I love what scarlett said about her LR being the nicest room in the house--that's awesome! It's exactly what I have planned for mine. Only problem is the room also belongs to the other "boss lady" in the house...her name is Violet and she's a 2yr old Lab/Poodle mix and she's very excited about getting her very own room!

We made the LR a 9x9 room to accomodate some built-in storage cubbies, a big old dog bed that will be under a folding counter, and a cafe table for sorting mail.

I will be making our LR as pretty as I can...anything to keep me motivated!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

trailrunner, it's a beautiful memory room. And such sweet memories. But I think I would have to draw the line on sentimentality at the washer/dryer. Surely your momma would have liked a new set? :-)

• wooderlander
    16 years ago

Trailrunner, what a great room, and we had that exact same set of washer and dryer! I used them almost every day until they finally expired not so many years ago.

I had high hopes for my new laundry room -- it's spacious enough, with a ceiling fan, window and nice glass door to the back patio, but it quickly became a junk and dog supplies room. My DH has all his tools and junk lying around. Ugh.

• User
    16 years ago

Sara, you had to know my Mom and Dad they were deep in the Depression era growing up and there was never a day that they replaced anything that was usable with something new. My Dad was 92 in 2002 when he passed and he never spent a dime that he could save. Momma was 88 when she passed 3 yrs later. Her dinner many nights,during the Depression, was hot milk toast that her Mom made when she got home from working at the telephone company in Toledo OH. One year she got an orange for Christmas and was so pleased. So nope Mom would be very happy that it all works just as it always had. I asked an appliance repair person last year and he said not to ever give them up as they will never again make appliances like these...I hope he is right !!

Woodlander...can't you clear it all out and fix it quick as I did over a weekend before it fills up again? I am picking up a retro metal pantry cabinet tomorrow from the local "junque" shop for $28 and that is going to hold the rest of my pantry stuff. I sure hope you get it up to what you want , after all we spend a lot of time in there. c

• annie1971
    16 years ago

My goodness you all that can have that great new LR today are lucky ladies, indeed. If I were looking for a new/different house today, I would definitely put more emphasis on the laundry room (laundry/craft/storage, etc., and fun appliances.) I have an old washboard on display above my front loaders in my laundry room. I think it's nice tribute to my grandmother and all those ladies before us! It puts things into perspective. We are all quite fortunate, I think.

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Caroline,

What a beautiful room and memories, thanks for sharing. Your parents sound alot like my grandparents!

Jana

• User
    16 years ago

Annie I saw a wash board at the same junque shop. and thought about getting it. You are right , we are very very fortunate.

Jana, thank you . My grandparents had even better stories !! c

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Ah hah! There is the wonderful soapstone sink. I love your laundry room, and your stories of your parents. I think that is what makes a home.The linens are simply lovely. I like to pick up vintage linens when I find them. And the enamel table is perfect in there. What great finds- don't forget to show the enamel shelf when you get it. sounds like you have a great junk shop nearby. I like to think that former owners would be happy that we cherish their vintage items. Everything has a story. Sue

• straitlover
    16 years ago

Part of the reason I hate my little laundry closet is because I hang up a lot of my clothes to dry (dress work clothes, tshirts, etc). Well, actually right now everything is hung because my dryer is broken - LOL! My doors are the 6-panel ones like trailrunner has, so I can't hang the stuff in the closet and close the doors (no air circulation). So, I have to leave the doors open and hang the hangers off the molding around the door.

If I changed out my doors to real louvered ones (w/ openings in the slats, not faux louvers), could I hang the stuff in the closet??? I could put up a separate long hanging rod and re-do the one long shelf in there for better storage. Because my house is so small, I store other things besides laundry detergent in there.

• User
    16 years ago

straitlover: I looked at my post I said I had louvered doors LOL...Well I had them before ! Anyway I always hung stuff in there across a pole that was above the w/d. I closed the doors since the dryer warmed it up and the clothes dried quite well. I don't see why you couldn't do that. I currently hang my stuff outside on the edge of the big ol' wooden table I have out there , on sunny days. It looks like a flea market when I do :). I also hang them in my closet but I try not to do too many as I am afraid of all that moisture maybe causing mold to form. I would go for the louvered ones and also get one of those little fans and set it in there. I have one and it is amazing how much air it moves.They are about 6" across and are electric.

I will post when I get the cabinet. it is pouring pouring pouring today so it maybe tomorrow PM before I get it picked up. I am so excited. c

• skypathway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

straitlover, I hang stuff to dry in the bathroom where I have more room to hang stuff and no worries about moisture.

I like trailrunners idea of using a fan to increase circulation.