Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pokyhoky

Have started painting cabinets - 3 questions have come up

pokyhoky
13 years ago

Hello helpful people! I am painting my lovely 70s kitchen cabinets black (SW oil based), then will be sanding off the edges (distressed look). This isn't my first project like this, but it's definitely more critical than the china cabinet or vanity I have done. I have 3 questions:

1. I've prepared the cabinets with TSP, light sanding and damp cloth. I am not using a primer. Should I be doing 2 coats, or is this necessary? I will be finishing them with the Diamond Varathane recommended here, I am thinking 5 coats.

2. If I put the paint on thicker, will it minimize brush strokes? I am using Purdy natural bristle brushes.

3. My cabinets have a beveled edge, so that if you were to lie the door down flat, it wouldn't matter if the front or the back of the cabinet was face-down .... the edge wouldn't touch the surface. Is it better to paint the edges when I paint the back side or the front side? I'm not able to hang the doors, so I am painting one side at a time, letting them dry 24 hours, then flipping them over.

Thanks so much. The advice here is terrific.

Dayna

Comments (2)