Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhouse79

Looking for that right shade of blue...

newhouse79
15 years ago

So we will be shortly moving into a new house that has a formal living and dining room. Currently they are painted a forrest green/burgandy combo. We would like to lighten it up.

We were thinking a light silvery blue color. Nothing that screams pastel, or baby blue, but something sophisticated and light. I have been through the forum gallery and although I have seen a lot, haven't stumbled upon the right thing. We will likely use BM Aura to paint.

Thanks for any help! Making color choices is very hard for me!

Comments (7)

• eatfruit
    15 years ago

We painted our new construction basement walls Misty Harbor by Valspar. I am not a pastel person at all-- but it looks very crisp and modern with the white trim. We have brown accents and it all looks very fresh! Good luck.

• randita
    15 years ago

Try posting over at the Home Decorating site. Lots of people over there really know their paint colors. If you were using SW, I'd recommend Misty, Samovar Silver, Silver Mist or Krypton, but I don't know BM paint colors.

• gordongirl
    15 years ago

Devine Paint has some "devine" sophisticated blues. They are not "pastel" at all. Swell is a beautiful one I have used in the past.
    As another suggestion, a blue we just used in our daughter's rooms is BM Crystal Springs. It's a nice light blue, goes well with black and white accents. And looks very different on the wall than it does on the chip.

• buckeye.mary
    15 years ago

I used a great grayish-blue in one of our bedrooms last year: Behr Pensive Sky (710E-2)

It's not pastel at all.

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

I think the color 'Horizons' by Glidden is beautiful. My aunt had it in her Phoenix house. It was a very peaceful color.

• flyingcarrot
    15 years ago

The trick is to ensure that there is enough gray in the mix. Otherwise, it will go "pastel" on you and look nursery.

You might begin in the grays, not the blues, and pay attention to the names which tend to indicate undertones.

• kmoth
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I was looking for the same look. We tried Gray Wisp from BM. The swatch was very different when you painted the entire room the color. It looked powder blue with a touch of grey. We then painted the dining room/living room Farrow and Ball Blue Gray. The paint is grey with a green hue (not blue). We like it a lot.