Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brickhouse_gw

Anyone have a counter top material backsplash then subway on top?

brickhouse
14 years ago

Is this out-dated?

My countertop person wants to do the countertop material a light colored soild surface a few inches up, then I will do white subway on top.

Not what I had planned. I can't even find any pics of this. Can anyone show me something like this???

Comments (12)

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

It will look fresher with just the subway for the entire splash area. Loose the countertop material part of the splash. That seems to be how most people are doing it today (including myself) as it does give a cleaner line look.

Why does the installer want to install the countertop material splash, anyway? Did you give you good justification? Just curious.

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

It's not really done anymore, and it's totally unnecessary if you're going to have a splash.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

If it's not what you planned, don't do it!

• smiling
    14 years ago

It may be that the person installing the counters is worried about a good tight fit against all the walls where counters will run. If your walls are not flat and straight, the installers can cover a pretty good sized gap with that thick strip of countertop material laid a few inches up the wall ( the older style installations). But with good modern templating, you should expect a good fit even if your walls are a little bit off, then the tile can come right down to the counter and still meet with a small caulk joint at the change of plane.

Perhaps you can ask them if they're worried about uneven walls, or you can take a yardstick to them yourself to see how they look. If it were my kitchen I'd certainly want the newer style installation.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

It's not popular. I have the 4" granite backsplash only because I couldn't decide on what I wanted. If you already know you want the white subway tiles I wouldn't do the counter material backsplash. If you look at the Finished Kitchens Blog there are a FEW who did the counter material 4' up and nothing else or the 4' of counter material and then a different backsplash above that.

I also would like to know why your installer wanted to do that?? Is it because your walls may not be perfectly straight so it would be easier for the installer. Don't forget you have to pay extra for that bit of counter material too.

• brickhouse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK thanks for the input.
    The deal is that the counter top is free, a gift from a family member that is a solid surface fabricator.

Their feeling is they would rather not have a caulked joint at the base of the counter and back splash in the "wet" area and do a one piece coved splash up to meet the tile.

Again, free. I am not so good at being assertive in this sort of situation.
    Need to assess how much I want to fight for my 'look'.

• davidro1
    14 years ago

Try a cove that's just a cove : a minimal height strip. Whatever you can get it down to. Try for 3/4". In sections. Then it looks like a base for the backsplash. Same principle as a pedestal. If I had a pushy relative insisting on giving me something at no charge, that's an option I'd consider.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

brickhouse-

There was a thread by ej2009 posted on 01/21/10 titled Granite backsplash question. Responses included some pictures which may help you to visualize. Check it out. Put his/her name or countertop backsplash in the search box on the bottom of the page to bring you to that post.

• shipshape
    14 years ago

I have a new 4" wilsonart back strip and put subway above that. I debated bringing the subway tiles all the way to the counter, but the matching laminate backsplash strip makes a clean line with the countertop, and I like the transition from tile to the board.

Posted picture at Imageshack:

{{!gwi}}

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5496/dscn1511d.jpg

• Rudebekia
    14 years ago

It may be outdated but I have it with soapstone and like it!
    {{!gwi}}

• kompy
    14 years ago

Nice family member! If he's offering to do a coved splash in a solid surface, that's quite a gift. Coved splashes are very labor intensive and VERY expensive.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

Am planning a lot of countertops that meet walls. Have had a 1" deep formica backsplash 4" high for many years in a small kitchen and I've found that it is a penny and button and paperclip and dead battery collector. The idea of multiplying that junk collection by a factor of about 4 was too appalling. I am determined not to make a turn-up backsplash again; am going with full tile backsplash. I'm just not disciplined enough to enforce an empty top to a turn-up backsplash.

Besides, I will gain an inch of depth in my countertop.