Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cruzmisl

Is there a rule for accent walls?

cruzmisl
13 years ago

Hi All,

I'm repainting my master bath and planning a single accent wall. I was curious if it matters which wall has the accent color? Is there a standard to follow? The entry is on the east wall, the vanity and toilet on the south wall, window on the west wall and shower and whirlpool tub on north wall. I was thinking of doing the accent wall on the south wall where the vanity and toilet are. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Comments (13)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I agree with amysrq. With all the fixtures in a bathroom already cutting up the visual space, adding an accent wall might not achieve what you hope to achieve with it.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

I agree with the others. I'm not a fan of accent walls in general, except in a very few situations. I don't think I've ever seen one used in a bathroom. No, I take that back. I saw one here the other day where they painted the bath alcove a different color and I really liked that. Is your bathtub in an obvious alcove where you could use it there?
    Dee

• lindac
    13 years ago

The "rules" for an accent wall is that a dark color closes in and a light color causes the wall to recede, visually that is.
    So a relatively narrow room with one of the longer walls painted a darker color would seem longer and narrower, where if you painted the short wall a darker color it would visually "square up" the room.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I like accent walls on doored or entrance area halls sm walls and other odd spots for a color splash.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The accent wall should also have something on it that is worthy of accenting--to emphasize a focal point, draw your eye to a view, perhaps to draw your eye away from something else. I use them rarely and with a fair amount of consideration.

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm, good points. The master bath is 10'x10'. No real reason for the accent other than to add a touch of color. Currently its gray with gray trim-kinda boring.

My plan was a blue ceiling, gray walls, off white trim and a blue accent wall.

Here is a picture of the master bath wall I was going to put the blue on.

{{!gwi}}

A picture of the wall color with the blue (ceiling) and white (trim)

{{!gwi}}

and a picture of the accent color with the ceiling color and trim color.
    {{!gwi}}

Any ideas or should I just lose the accent wall?

Thanks!
    Joe

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A picture of the floor if it helps.

{{!gwi}}

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I would try the ceiling first.

If thats not enough I would consider painting the Vanity the accent color rather than the wall.

I don't think you have a good wall for an accent. The window wall would be broken up by the tile surround into an odd shape then, and the fixtures would do the same to the wall they are on.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I don't think the accent color works with the ceiling color at all.
    Choose either blue for the ceiling and keep it simple.

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Choose either blue for the ceiling and keep it simple. "

Thats exactly what I'm going to do. I didn't like it initially. Although its a nice blue it seemed too much. Grey walls, cottontail trim and carolina blue for the ceiling (the lighter of the two blues). Should be really nice and I'll post pictures when its done on Monday.

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Your blue ceiling will be the accent wall. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County