Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tikilyn

Looking for layout ideas for my dream kitchen.

tikilyn
12 years ago

My husband and I worked out a house design that we think will work for our family of 4. The only area I'm still unsure of is the kitchen design.

The kitchen is huge (15.5ft wide x 22ft length to the pantry wall or 29ft in length to dining room entrance)and is partially open to the main living room. Also the ceiling height will be 9'.

Cabinet style will most likely be shaker, white or cherry. Haven't decide yet.

I really want my sink facing the back of the house with the windows, so I can watch the kids playing out back.

Also the island will have a bar height counter top along with the regular height counter top and a prep sink.

I also want a double wall oven but don't know where to place it.

The breakfast table I want to be a banquet built in seating.

Anyone want to critique it for me or give me ideas? I want to have everything ready for the house designer when we have the blue prints drawn up.

Thank you for the help!

Comments (6)

• rosie
    12 years ago

There's a whole lot to like about your future home, and the kitchen looks really luxurious. I think I might pull the fridge in toward the stove a bit, maybe shorten the island, in the interests of keeping the busy work area itself nice and efficient.

If it were mine, though, the one big problem for me would be the position of the pantry. The route from the master to the children's side, and vice versa, is really...byzantine and not one I'd care to make over and over in the middle of the night. While my children were small and needy, I'd move food storage somewhere else and create a straight shot from one side of the house to the other.

Now, on the other hand, I FULLY understand needing to get as far from teenagers, and hard to find as possible (I have traumatic flashbacks to this day), and you might want to keep the option open for installation of a blockading pantry in another decade or so.

BTW, are you planning to have a door from your master wing out to the back porch? It's a lovely feature for a master to have, and in your case it would prevent quite a hike when you specifically needed to get out there quick.

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your kind words Rosie! We've designed this floor plan for our children. They are dd 11 and ds 8. My husband also works rotating shifts and he needs to have our bedroom away from all the noise. We're using the hall way as a buffer. Also he wanted direct access from the garage to the master bedroom.

Looking at the kitchen area does seem large and that is probably because my kitchen now is tiny! I was looking at the stove placement and I think I want to center the stove with the opening to the living room.

Do you or anyone on here know of a free online program that I can input the size of my kitchen and do a 3d version to really get a feel of the kitchen. My program is very lacking in the kitchen program.

Thanks again

• rosie
    12 years ago

A centered stove/"hearth" would be very attractive, and of course you can massage the doorway to make it work.

So your kids are already halfway to their teens. Makes more sense now. I've heard Rome had crooked streets around the Coliseum specifically to keep riots from gathering speed and mass. :)

• User
    12 years ago

The Ikea kitchen planner is a very quick study and easy to master.

It would also help if you could do a closeup shot of just the kitchen and adjacent relevant areas. Do you have a scanner?

• tikilyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope this helps. I've enlarged the picture 160%. Thanks for the ikea idea! I'm going to go and look at it now. I'll post what I come up with. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

It is rather a small drawing, but with a quick look...what if you brought the living room out even, with the kitchen? That would give you more space for accessing the back porch and still have plenty of room for seating.

Then, I'd move the opening between the kitchen and living room 'down' a bit, giving you more space for the banquette and eliminating that little coner counter, by the sink. This way, the main sink would be a straight run to the wall, no bend back. Easier for storage and flow, IMHO.

The island probably needs to be a little bit shorter, by the banquette, if you want chairs around the table. I'd leave the prep sink, though...that's a nice touch. This should allow you to 'center' you range/hearth on the new living room opening, but I think you'd only need to move it closer to the fridge, by a foot of two.

On the other side of the fridge, I'd put the double ovens, with a baking/buffet area towards the dining room. It also bring cookies/cakes/cupcakes that much closer to the kitchen table is DS and DD want to help decorate. Just my two cents :)