Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colickyboy

Mixing stained wood windows/doors with white cabinets?

colickyboy
14 years ago

The windows & doors in our 1911 house all have stained oak trim on the first floor. Our kitchen is going to have white cabinets/crown. It just dawned on me: is it going to look weird to have stained oak windows & doors in a kitchen that will have creamy white cabinets? Or should I paint the kitchen windows & doors creamy white to match the cabinets? And if I paint the kitchen windows & doors to match the cabinets, would it look weird that the rest of the first floor windows & doors are not painted to match the kitchen?

Am I in trouble???

Comments (8)

• unismartin
    14 years ago

Yeah!!! It looks different if you paint kitchen windows & doors alone . For me it's not look a good interior home design .

• function_first
    14 years ago

It doesn't seem odd at all -- I would keep the trim on the kitchen windows and doors so that it matches the rest of the house -- the house has made it 99 years without paint, it's earned the right to keep its stained finish. :-)

I think the white cabinets will look fine. It's not uncommon at all to have stained trim and white cabinets, nor the other way around.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

You will be fine. I agree, do not paint those doors and trim in the kitchen. My house (1923) has all painted trim so I could not change it, but if it were stained I would never paint it. I think oak stained will look great with the French Vanilla - it will really look Arts and Crafts. Hopefully boxerpups will post some pictures of white/cream cabinets with stained trim. I think I have seen it in the Bungalow Kitchens book and/or The New Bungalow Kitchen and it looks great. I used those books extensively for inspiration for my remodel. Good luck! Can't wait to see your cabs installed! What door style did you choose? Any decision on the Bluestar color yet?

Tina

• karen44_2008
    14 years ago

We are in the same situation and I had the same concerns. We have an open plan from the front door into the kitchen and then on into the great room. However, off of this area we have rooms and hallways to other rooms: dining room, den, play room, office, and three season porch. The foyer, great room, and openings to the other rooms, are all stained doors, windows, and trim. Well, actually it's cherry so not actually stained, but not painted. It's also cherry hardwood floors all through the area as well. Anyway, we have chosen creamy white, shaker cabinets for the kitchen. But, we did choose cherry cabinetry for the double oven cabinetry and pantry unit because they are on an opposite wall on which cherry floorboards run from the foyer back to that unit. Not sure you can visualize what I'm attempting to describe, but the way our architect described it is we have a heirarchy of cherry or natural wood in the main or open area of the house and paint in the areas that are off of that. We didn't build this house so it wasn't our original design plan, but I did wonder if we would need to paint all of the doors, windows, and trim that are natural cherry to be able to pull of white kitchen cabinets. Architect said no because we have developed this heirarchy. FWIW.
    Good luck.

• colickyboy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

glad to hear some reassurance...thanks. i was starting to panic a bit!

tina - we were going to go with edgemont recessed but then saw a couple kitchens that were lewisburg recessed (inset) on top and winfield recessed on the bottom (style matches lewisburg but it's full overlay instead of inset), and wife really wanted inset. however we didn't have the budget for all inset, so we went with that lewisburg/winfield combination. and believe it or not, we still haven't decided on the blue star color yet (we're so wishy-washy!) but we're leaning towards black. What color is yours? is it pretty easy to keep clean (esp compared to all stainless?)

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Well I have RAL 5007 Brilliant Blue (see pic with the Brookhaven French Vanilla). I love it but it obviously will not go with your wall color. I painted my walls pretty close to the cabinet color so that didn't give me yet another competing color and I always wanted a blue range. I have not yet cleaned the door/front of the range... so yes, I guess it is easy to keep clean! I still think you need to stay away from red if you are doing green walls (just my opinion....). From the design choices you have mentioned I still think black would be best... but IMHO I would NOT do the red knobs. Even if I bought a Wolf I would order it with black knobs.. just my opinion. Best of luck!

{{gwi:1576132}}

• colickyboy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

your blue bluestar looks GREAT in your kitchen!

thanks for the advice on the knobs.

btw, are those lights from rejuvenation?

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Lights are Schoolhouse Electric. I also have two more of the one you see in the back in the center of the kitchen. They are the Northwestern with Black Line Shades. The little one next to the range hood is the Grace fixture. I LOVE them!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert