Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlauder_gw

please help with sewer smell

mlauder
15 years ago

We just moved into our new home and have noticed a strong sewer smell around the ice maker in our island in the kitchen. The plumber came this week (a new plumber as the old one did not do a good job.) He said there is no P-trap for the drain for the icemaker and said we would have to take out the island and tear out the foundation to put in a p-trap. That means taking off the granite, moving out the cooktop in the island, and taking apart the cabinetry of the island. That will be a huge undertaking and probably expensive. My husband wonders if we can possibly go behind the icemaker (if there's room) and put a p-trap above the foundation. Is that possible? Or does anyone have a suggestion to help us with this mess? Our contractor is gravely ill with brain cancer and is just not available.

Comments (8)

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

is this new construction? if so then demand the contractor's company fix the problem at no charge to you.

if not, then you will have to do what must be done. hard to say if a trap can go above grade or not, it depends on how high the drain is.

• wa8b
    15 years ago

Are you sure the drain line for the ice maker connects to your house waste water system? You don't say where you live, but in some places where freezing isn't a problem, ice maker drains simply drain to somewhere outside, just like condensate from an air conditioner.

If it does drain into the house waste water system, it needs a p-trap. Do you have access to the drain line in the basement or in a crawl space? If so, there may be a way to add a trap down below. It wasn't clear what you meant by foundation. Is the house built on a concrete slab?

Is this new construction? If so, it seems odd that a plumbing inspector wouldn't catch a floor drain missing a p-trap. A floor drain would also require a vent. Is there a Studor vent under the island? If so, that could be malfunctioning, and be the source of odors.

• frodo_2009
    15 years ago

can you take pictures of the drain and post..give us a little help seeing it

• frodo_2009
    15 years ago

i suggest that you contact an appliance store and locate an icemaker, without a drain requirement..they do make them
    i have installed them, but i have no idea what brand name or model..and cap that stinky pipe, and sue the plumber
    for the cost of the difference in icemakers and instalation costs..

• worthy
    15 years ago

I don't understand why the "P" trap can't be located in the undercounter space, the way it is with sinks, for instance.

• wa8b
    15 years ago

Worthy - the reason the p-trap can't be installed under the counter is because under-counter icemakers sit on the floor. The drain line comes out of the bottom of the icemaker and is usually routed to a floor drain. The p-trap has to be below the drain.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

Install a condensate pump.

• Katie schneider
    6 years ago

mlauder, I was just trying to get an update on the windows you installed. We are doing the same thing you did with all 200 series except an oval 400 series. I was hoping to hear if you have liked the windows. I can't figure out how to message you so hopefully this works! kcisco29@yahoo.com thanks, Katie